Rebuild TGTAP

Gerard

Let's fix TGTAP  

33 members have voted

1. 1. Which of these options do you think would help rebuild TGTAP?

• A new design
    • A reorganisation / restructure of the forum
    • New and more active staff
    • Merging with [url=http://www.grandtheftwiki.com]Grand Theft Wiki[/url]
    • Competitions & promotions
    • Extra site features and new types of content
    • Focus on the gang system again
  2. 2. How active have you been with TGTAP?

• I am new
    • I have been here a while, but I don't get involved in the community
    • I post on the forums, but don't feel part of the community
    • I feel like part of the community
    • I used to feel like part of the community, but not anymore
    • I have been here from the start, and I'm not giving up yet

Thanks for everyone's comments. Keep them coming.

I'm hoping that we all pull together (at the same time) and make a decent effort to get this place moving again. It's no use one or two people being active for a few weeks, getting bored, then two other people coming back. A big reboot is definitely the order of the day.

However, I would like a handful of people to help with this rebooting. Planning how we do everything, and perhaps becoming staff. Nothing is out of the question right now.

Chris never finished building the gang system, so on-forum gang wars never really happened. When we upgraded to IPB 3, the modifications had to be completely discarded.

The MTA servers were fun for a while, but nobody finished the coding required to link it into the forum or do any gang-related games, so it was just a plain old MTA server.

A few months ago, the gang forums were closed off and gangs ceased to exist. Only a handful of people bothered with gangs, and members were being active in the gang forums instead of the public ones, making us look even more inactive.

I think gangs were good, but they need to be done properly. We're going to have a rethink (based on this topic) about how we move forward, and I think gangs will be making a partial comeback. But I don't think that a MMORPG-type system will exist (ie: gang wars), nor MTA integration, not for a while.

If there's one thing the gang system needs it's refinement. It needs to focus down to the core aspects and focus on perfecting them.

Even if, for example, we made them 100% random, you're assigned a gang after you're 100th, 200th post (encourages 1 time visitors to become active, learn to love the community and use it as a reliable, regular source of info) and gives us something unique to have a bit of fun with.

I'm always somewhere, here, ish. I spend a eidiculous amount of time on the computer (If I'm not at home, I'm on a mac, if I'm not there, I'm leeching people's wifi off my phone)

We've got the potential. I'll gladly pitch in to realise it where I can.

I agree, the gang systems were not done properly. In fact, I don't think I should have ever been a leader/member because of my moderating position, so if the gang system does come back up I will gladly hand over my position to whoever is below me in the gang. Maybe even the staff can have a gang, but just for staff related stuff (could be kind of cool, we'll have to think about this idea. Haven't thought it out enough yet. I'm thinking sort of like a teacher team in a school against students :P, obviously we don't think of you guys as students, but I think you'll see my point.)

Anyway, we'll have another topic about the gang system soon, as Gerard said.

4.) Merging with Grand Theft Wiki: I don't see what bad would come from that personally, but I also don't know the full details of what this would entail.

Sound okay to you? The technical details are yet to be worked out, but it wouldn't be a full merger like renaming it to TGTAP Wiki or GTW Forums.

Sounds more than okay! The technical details were really what I meant by saying, "but I also don't know the full details of what this would entail" and only because I don't know how much work it would be for you guys to do it(wish I was more knowledgeable on that sort of thing though, and hell, if there's anyway I CAN help, I'm more than willing).

Honestly I think the PSP games had a lot to do with it, especially with Edison Carter's cheatdevice, that got a lot of people online because it was fun and easy to use. There hasn't been a lot of GTA stuff going on lately, so people don't go online for it as much. All that's happening is waiting really, i wouldn't say its your fault, its just what happened.

As for what to do, I guess merging the wiki and forums would help bring users and activity, the gang system was something fun to do in the down time, thats why I originally joined, and haven't been very active since.

Alternatively, I could try to come on here more often, I miss talking to some of you guys, especially Scott., Spider-Vice, mpilk, Gerard and so on... it could be good to return as a full time member :)

Haha, thanks for the warm hidden re-welcome; I'll try to come back but I've been busy, and well, forgetting this forum gradually as it's starting to get dead but I see some new stuff. New member groups and awards, now this is how we should keep up. What's remaining here is the all-latest news.

On another hand, I would seriously re-join the FFM again as a Consigliere if the gangs system came back, though we'd have to assure its stability (of the system) and maybe try to get a MTA server and someone who could be active in both European and American times to moderate and manage it.

we'd have to assure its stability (of the system) and maybe try to get a MTA server and someone who could be active in both European and American times to moderate and manage it.

That is simply not possible. Aiming to get that to work would just be another big fail for this forum, and we can't afford that.

Instead of aiming for a super-awesome gaming experience, we should make a decent forum experience that we KNOW we can maintain and manage easily, and that we know can help this site grow back and become better than ever.

We're trying to figure this out, but it's not going to be MTA-centric, as epic as that may be.

we'd have to assure its stability (of the system) and maybe try to get a MTA server and someone who could be active in both European and American times to moderate and manage it.

Instead of aiming for a super-awesome gaming experience, we should make a decent forum experience

I've read that sentence over and over in my mind the past few days, and I'm surprised I didn't realize that before because it's so true.

• 1 month later...

one thing that could help is to get staff members that are respectful. i stopped regularly posting here a couple years ago cuz most of the staff are, sorry to say, assholes in situations where its really unnecessary. and it makes me really uncomfortable that i cant post my thoughts without them attacking me...just an idea

I only just started posting here today so I'm very new, but I immediately noticed this place was very inactive. I began poking around the forums anyway for any interesting threads and came across a couple posts by a certain mod that were directed at another poster, their posts were pretty disrespectful, and not a very welcoming sight seeing that there is a mod insulting a someone. It just doesn't look good seeing forum officials acting that way.

For that reason I voted for new staff, I know not every mod/admin on these boards are like that. Reading through posts I've spotted some very nice people here, but every community has its bad seeds too, and it doesn't take a lot of them to scare off/ discourage others from continuing coming by here.

I also voted for re-designing the forums. So far I have no problem with navigation, however I prefer a dark color for the backgrounds of our posts. I used to post on forums a lot years ago and all the ones I liked most had usually a black background with white text or dark blue background. It's easier on the eyes. I might be able to change that in the settings for myself though, I haven't thought about checking til right now.

I also voted for bringing back forum gangs. I've never experienced that here, so I'm not sure what I missed, but it sounds interesting. I have actually posted on forums a while back that were labeled a 'GORM' which is a cross between 'forum' and 'game'. It was a very neat concept though. Basically you had factions you could join or create yourself, and could actually fight other posters on the forum. It was text based, but it wasn't as simple as just going into a thread and typing *enters thread and shoots at OP and leaves* though.

The account you used to post on was basically your avatar and you can equip yourself with weapons and armor. I don't remember how you actually initiated combat as it's been a few years now, but it was basically as if everyone had an Attack option on them in their posts and doing so would either warrant you a successful attack where you damaged/killed them depending on how high your skills were, or you failed to hit them. I think failing to harm them gave you soem kind of penalty.

Managing to kill your target rewarded you with money that can be used for better combat equipment.

But like I said, I'm new to these forums so I don't know how the gang thing here worked out, but as soon as I read that you guys had a gang system here I immediately thought of that. Personally I found it very fun.

But even though I haven't been here long, I think this could be a pretty fun place once the ball gets moving again. It's been a while since a new GTA was released, so inactivity for a GTA forum is gonna be a factor til a new game is announced. I do hope for the best though. :)

Well, I'm a newb compared to you vets of the site. One of my first impressions of TGTAP was that is more active than other sites that I have bounced around in, yet a mere shadow of days gone by.

As others have already pointed out, this is the "hoo-hum" period between 4 and 5. Yet we die-hard GTA gamers always yearn for something new and exciting to hold our collective interest in the meantime. Rockstar kind of helped with that with all of the sub-releases between III and IV: Vice City, San Andreas, etc. It has also been pointed out that IV is pretty much "unmodable". What has held my interest for quite some time is making mods for Vice City. I enjoy it and regard uploading mods for others to use as my own small way of helping to satisfy that "something new" craving (mostly with sexy women) until V becomes a reality.

The forums are important, of course, but try to bring more attention to the modding aspect of GTA. Mods could be the most abundant supply of "what's new" to draw from in order to keep interest alive in these older GTAs while we wait for V. Mods could also inspire more discussion in the forums as well. Incorporate your reward and/or competition possibilities with it as well if you believe that it could help. And/or a "what's new", "what's hot", "mod of the week, month, year" feature as well; or whatever else comes to mind.

Posted feedback/comments directly on individual mod pages for window shoppers to read and add to would definitely be a plus; if your server is capable.

Yup, I am a modder; more so that a forum poster, so sure I am a little biased I suppose. But mods could be the temporary something new during this down time... give people something to talk about.

Edited by Masked Marauder

It has also been pointed out that IV is pretty much "unmodable".

Nope it isn't. There are even total conversions already: See this is the thing on this forum, it needs more people that are willing to post news and attract modders so they post their creations in here and keep people updated about modding and GTA evolution.

one thing that could help is to get staff members that are respectful. i stopped regularly posting here a couple years ago cuz most of the staff are, sorry to say, assholes in situations where its really unnecessary. and it makes me really uncomfortable that i cant post my thoughts without them attacking me...just an idea

If there are any specific you wish to discuss, let me know, and I'll make sure this is no longer an issue.

Obviously if the staff are misbehaving or being rude, then we can't expect much from other members. I've always maintained that staff should lead by example.

I... came across a couple posts by a certain mod that were directed at another poster, their posts were pretty disrespectful, and not a very welcoming sight seeing that there is a mod insulting a someone. It just doesn't look good seeing forum officials acting that way.

This is why we're changing staff slightly. Moderators are the moderation experts, who keep the forum running smoothly. They are polite and skilled. In the past, staff have been picked because they're cool, popular, helpful or knowledgeable. Now, those people have their own roles (as Gurus, Elites/Veterans, Forum Bosses etc) and are not moderators.

I prefer a dark color for the backgrounds of our posts. It's easier on the eyes.

We could make multiple skins, but it's a lot of work to make them all work the same through every change we go through. Chris (founder/owner) is the only one who does this sort of thing here, and he doesn't have much time for it. So we'll probably stick with 2 skins max (fixed-width and 100%-width).

I also voted for bringing back forum gangs. I've never experienced that here, so I'm not sure what I missed, but it sounds interesting.

The GORM is what this forum originally was, but the system was never fully functional and relied on unfinished third-party scripts. Instead, gangs became just social groups you could join. There were attempts to turn these into GTA multiplayer clans, but it never worked properly, and we didn't have the expertise/time to write good scripts and link it all into the forums.

Like I said above, we're trying to make this a good forum first and foremost rather than something it's not.

It's been a while since a new GTA was released, so inactivity for a GTA forum is gonna be a factor til a new game is announced.

That's pretty much the problem, but we're hoping to start ramping up the forums in anticipation of GTA 5, rather than waiting until it comes out! That was a mistake Chris made with GTA IV, where we were so far behind and he didn't bother doing anything on this forum until it was too late.

Well, I'm a newb compared to you vets of the site. One of my first impressions of TGTAP was that is more active than other sites that I have bounced around in, yet a mere shadow of days gone by.

This used to be a really good community, with lots of different people all having fun. Then the original 'vets' grew older, and really disliked the new, younger members who just wanted to play silly forum games all the time. This meant the vets all left (including a lot of staff), and without the leadership of the vets/staff, the forum went to ruin. We need to bring back that social community.

The forums are important, of course, but try to bring more attention to the modding aspect of GTA. Mods could be the most abundant supply of "what's new" to draw from in order to keep interest alive in these older GTAs while we wait for V. Mods could also inspire more discussion in the forums as well.

Incorporate your reward and/or competition possibilities with it as well if you believe that it could help. And/or a "what's new", "what's hot", "mod of the week, month, year" feature as well; or whatever else comes to mind. Posted feedback/comments directly on individual mod pages for window shoppers to read and add to would definitely be a plus; if your server is capable.

I agree entirely, this is exactly what we need. Mods are so vital to this community, and something like 90% of TGTAP's traffic is for the downloads section alone. We are looking at ways to integrate modding with the forum a lot more, but it's finding the time for Chris to make this work.

This is the thing on this forum, it needs more people that are willing to post news and attract modders so they post their creations in here and keep people updated about modding and GTA evolution.

This can't be solved with a news poster, but I think giving modders and mod users something to work for, things to do, things to discuss, would definitely help.

• 2 weeks later...

I had forgotten to check up on this thread. Credible suggestions and feedback have certainly been offered and they seem to be gladly received by Gerard, Chris, and whoever else they may be directed to. Some ideas have been implemented (or partially so) already so cheers to the staff for that. My mindset now is to patiently wait for further incorporation of these ideas into the site while keeping the perspective that there is much more involved than just flicking a switch or making a few mouse clicks to make things happen. Plus the Chris time allotment factor. So far so good TGTAP.

• 10 months later...

It's obvious that TGTAP is a mere shadow of its former self.

Back in April 2008, we were getting 13,000 posts per month. Even in August 2009 we were getting over 3000. But in November 2010, there were just 168 posts on this entire forum.

However, new user registrations are still high - 600 in November 2010, with every month varying between 400 and 800.

Hey Gerard, if you are still here, can you please provide the posts and new user registration figures for this month please? Thanks.

I prefer not to give out too many specific stats like this.

January got more registrations than usual - double what we've had in previous months. In fact, the past 2 weeks saw more registrations than any previous week ever.

New registrations aren't hugely important (a fair chunk will no doubt be spam bots), but interaction in the form of posts/topics is more relevant to us. There, the forums aren't doing great.

Mike, we have the General Discussion and the Entertainment And Lifestyle forums. In those two forums, you can talk about stuff you couldn't say in the regular forums.

That's not really fair for you to say when you've not been part of a gang.

Each gang was a small group of friends - or even a family. Their private forums were for private discussions, not the sort of thing that they would post in General Discussion for anyone to see and for n00bs to reply to.

If you look at the quality of many of the posts in GD or the other general subforums, you'll know why people prefer to interact with their friends, not the random crappy people that clog up the internet.

Look Gerard, I was just stating that the forums can still be fine without the gangs system. I did not mean to sound bad or unfair. And I was saying that these two forums can still kinda serve as a substitute to the gangs forums, although more crappier than the gang system.

Back to the main topic, I reckon new and more active staff, competitions and promotions and extra site features and new kinds of content can restore TGTAP's popularity. Also, judging by what everybody is saying about the gang system, it should return to TGTAP.