PS3 Linux

Adriaan

In this recent article it seems that the PS3 will run Linux! Also take this quote for example about the gestures of the Eyetoy

But the PS3's UI will evolve much faster. For example, if we had an interface where we could control applications using gestures and words using the Eye Toy, it would be like Minority Report.

gues my Eyetoy will come in handy....

Well the XBox 360 is actually supposed to run Windows XP Media Center Edition. It comes with the MCE remote and the XP logo is smack-dab in teh middle.

that is cool the game systems are getting really cool now soon you know the gaming consules are going to be like a actual computer. I can't wait for the PS3 or the Xbox360 to come out. :D

I'm not sure whether having a computer with gaming capabilities is such a good idea, as the idea of having a dedicated gaming system has always been to pack in the punch for the running game only. Having thirty other OS processes in there as well is going to seriously reduce the speed. Of course both manufacturers have overcome this problem, with the XBox 360 most likely running their M$ OS on demand only, and the PS3's Linux being completely separate to the gaming. Both OSs will be heavily trimmed down, and the GUI won't be WIMP anyway. If they manage to fit a WIMP onto a games console, then salute them, but why the hell bother having it as a Playstation, why not just another VAIO?

Mind you, the idea is to have this box being at the centre of your home, running everything from TV and Films, to Radio and Music, to Games and maybe a deeper computing system. Doubt MSN and M$ Word will run on your PS3 mind...