Spam blacklist for new users?

After seeing repeat threads from Chinese spambots doing epic fail attempts at advertising their crappy software, I was thinking if it would be possible to block a thread from being posted if it contained a certain keyword, i.e. "Aiseesoft" (the developer behind the offending software), or block a yet-to-be-posted thread if the image URL came from a blacklist, much like when I tried to post a JPEG from Ebaumsworld. I know the spammers can get around this, but judging from the fact that the "How to convert Blu-Ray to blah blah blah" threads are identical in nature and seem to link back to a single source (the images mostly came from a single site), keeping them from posting via a blacklist may curb future attempts.

• 1 month later...

I have added a few URLs to the blacklist but I'm not sure this will do much to combat the spammers. Besides, there's hundreds of those sites out there, they'll probably just use different domains. With the popularity of sites like YouTube, Vimeo, Metacafe et al. always rising, video conversion software is only going to get more popular too since people still own shitty hardware that can't play back widely used standards these days.

Not really sure what else we can do at the moment.

And as you may have noticed I unfortunately don't have much time for this or any other of my sites right now.

• Like 2

I have added a few URLs to the blacklist but I'm not sure this will do much to combat the spammers. Besides, there's hundreds of those sites out there, they'll probably just use different domains. With the popularity of sites like YouTube, Vimeo, Metacafe et al. always rising, video conversion software is only going to get more popular too since people still own shitty hardware that can't play back widely used standards these days.

Not really sure what else we can do at the moment.

And as you may have noticed I unfortunately don't have much time for this or any other of my sites right now.

Will that block images coming from certain URLs? I think most of the spam image URLs come from mac-dvd-ripper-soft dot com. (domain intentionally borked for this post).

Edited by Huckleberry Pie