56 replies to this topic

#41 Ivan

Ivan

Too far to get home.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,996 posts

Posted 13 June 2010 - 02:04 AM

Yeah, lost a lot of cool these past 3 years. I still love this place and I pop in every day but it's definitely not like it used to be.
Posted Image

Thanks to Greensabre.

#42 Kirbs55

Kirbs55

Nobody Special

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 14 June 2010 - 03:39 AM

As an old member with a new account, I never really much got into the gangs. However, I also recognized that gangs played a vital role in the board activity and took off right when I left. I know it may sound stupid, but my idea to keep gangs involved would be to take a two week long poll, asking any member that is on the forum to vote on if they would want gangs back.

If majority rules, rework the forums to include an archives section, where any old material can be accessed (including old gangs), and then completely reboot the gang program, starting from the ground up. That way, old members can get a fresh start, and new members don't feel left out of the gang program. Just my two cents.

#43 Alvas.

Alvas.

Stay Cool !

• Members
  • 1,272 posts
  • India 

Posted 14 June 2010 - 04:32 AM

Only if Chris could have read all of this....

Posted Image

Posted Image

#44 Gerard

Gerard

Underboss

• Administrators
  • 3,873 posts

Posted 14 June 2010 - 07:54 PM

Dude, you could just ASK us if you wanted the gangs back. Everyone here has been sad to see them go, but nobody used them, and nobody has asked for them back. There's no need to start a petition or revolution, just discuss it.

I've asked what people want. If they want somewhere they can talk privately with their friends, we can do that. If they want to have named clubs/gangs to be a part of, then we can do that. If they want to play multiplayer GTA, we can try to sort something out.

So - in this topic, give your ideas for what you want (whether it's gangs, forums or multiplayer). I'll put a poll up next week. This isn't "majority rule", or "democracy", but of course we're happy to make these forums how its members want.

Grand Theft Wiki Manager

And not a single fuck was given that day.

#45 Mpilk901

Mpilk901

Proudly destroying the community since March '07.

• Elite Members
  • 2,505 posts
  •    Scotland 

Posted 14 June 2010 - 11:53 PM

Gangs were fun but Gerard is right, they drove all of the members who were in the gangs to almost solely post in their gang topics. It doesn't help much for overall forum activity. It will seem bad in the short-term, but in the long-term it helps the forum as a whole.

Nothing to see here, move along

#46 WRX22B1998

WRX22B1998

like a Boss

• Elite Members
  • 2,592 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 01:57 AM

hmm i think we should have organised multiplayer sessions (have we been doing this already?) like for XBOX and PS3 and PC GTA4's

and maybe MTA too, if we cant get our own server we should at least all go on a server at a specified time.

#47 Jace

Jace

Capo

• Elite Members
  • 5,871 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 10:08 PM

Don't know if many others would like the idea, but as someone else suggested, perhaps just reboot it. I believe TGTAP's unique 'gang' environment caused a lot of people to join and participate. Quite some of those are still active.

I'd like to make friends here again and these 'gangs' are a nice way of forming your own little 'friend-group'. We'd needs some more initial activity here though.. Don't know how it's been the past few months, but the past few days that I've checked there hasn't been a lot of people posting around here.

Anyone else share the idea of rebooting the system?

Posted Image

Courtesy to Connor

#48 Gerard

Gerard

Underboss

• Administrators
  • 3,873 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 11:18 PM

The gang system was never finished, so what would we reboot?

Gang membership, gang forums, shop to buy weapons, organised multiplayer, our own servers, compeltely custom MTA system, MTA integrated with forum gangs and the shop?

If it's a custom system on this forum, who's going to code it? If it's MTA, who's going to pay for the server every month? If it's anything custom in MTA, who's going to code it?

I'm not trying to shit on your fire here, but it's not as if we can just 'decide' for a gang system to exist. I can make subforums and user groups, the rest has go to be up to you guys.

Grand Theft Wiki Manager

#49 Kirbs55

Kirbs55

Nobody Special

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 08:49 AM

I have no idea. I guess since I haven't been on in forever and never participated in gangs, I shouldn't really be saying much

#50 Alvas.

Alvas.

Stay Cool !

• Members
  • 1,272 posts
  • India 

Posted 16 June 2010 - 12:37 PM

If it's a custom system on this forum, who's going to code it? If it's MTA, who's going to pay for the server every month? If it's anything custom in MTA, who's going to code it?

OK then, lets do nothing and let TGTAP remain as it is now(dead), forever!

I'm not trying to shit on your fire here, but it's not as if we can just 'decide' for a gang system to exist. I can make subforums and user groups, the rest has go to be up to you guys.

Something is better than nothing. :)

Edited by Alvas., 16 June 2010 - 12:40 PM.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#51 Ivan

Ivan

Too far to get home.

• Members
  • 2,996 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 01:22 PM

Stop being such a little bitch, Gerard is right. Getting a server to run takes a lot of work and money, who's honestly ready for such a thing? Not many people, but then again you can't really blame them.
Gerard and Chris can't do everything on their own, the community has to step up aswell.
Posted Image

Thanks to Greensabre.

#52 Jace

Jace

Capo

• Elite Members
  • 5,871 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 01:54 PM

I just meant groups with their subforum. Nothing with MTA and all.

And then now and then, every 3 to 4 months, we could try organizing Multiplayer games. GTA IV would be most easy to do, but that's just as bonus.

Just a little question. Quite some time back we had these 'test gangwars'. System seemed to be working back then. What's changed in the mean time? Forum upgrade? Perhaps it's just my ignorance, but I'd imagine it being not that hard to port existing code.

Curious, that's all.

Posted Image

Courtesy to Connor

#53 Alvas.

Alvas.

Stay Cool !

• Members
  • 1,272 posts
  • India 

Posted 16 June 2010 - 03:30 PM

Stop being such a little bitch, Gerard is right. Getting a server to run takes a lot of work and money, who's honestly ready for such a thing? Not many people, but then again you can't really blame them.
Gerard and Chris can't do everything on their own, the community has to step up aswell.

I was not being a bitch(or maybe I was). But thats..just how I feel. We are making new websites like for Read Dead Redemption,etc. with TGTAP still being dead. Will Microsoft make something new if Windows didn't sell ? They will improve it first, since thats the product from which they get most of the money. Same with TGTAP.

Maybe you are right. But if we do nothing, then probably nothing's gonna happen(a.k.a TGTAP will be dead).
:)

Edited by Alvas., 16 June 2010 - 03:32 PM.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#54 Ivan

Ivan

Too far to get home.

• Members
  • 2,996 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 08:03 PM

Are you seriously comparing The Gta Place's network to a gigantic company like Microsoft?
I never said doing nothing is the right choice, but annoying sarcastic remarks sure as shit don't help.
Posted Image

Thanks to Greensabre.

#55 Gerard

Gerard

Underboss

• Administrators
  • 3,873 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 08:43 PM

I'm not suggesting that we do nothing and leave TGTAP to die. I'm saying that I'm happy to do whatever the community thinks would help. However, bear in mind that there are some things I can't do, like pay for MTA servers or code huge gang systems or pay for plane tickets for TGTAP member meetups.

Regarding the Red Dead website, that took Chris a couple of hours to make, and almost no effort to run. You can't compare that to spending weeks coding a brand new gang system from scratch, fully integrated into the forum, testing it and making sure it's secure.

If you want to ask Chris to code the system, go ahead. I wish he would, but he won't. That's his choice, he doesnt have to do it.

Right now, we need some good ideas for things we can reasonably do. If you can't come up with good ideas, then don't expect good things to magically happen.

Grand Theft Wiki Manager

#56 TUN3R

TUN3R

Executioner

• Members
  • 1,569 posts

Posted 17 June 2010 - 07:01 AM

Didn't even notice there was a gang system O.o

#57 Alvas.

Alvas.

Stay Cool !

• Members
  • 1,272 posts
  • India 

Posted 17 June 2010 - 02:45 PM

Are you seriously comparing The Gta Place's network to a gigantic company like Microsoft?
I never said doing nothing is the right choice, but annoying sarcastic remarks sure as shit don't help.

Yeah I was.
I was just telling what I felt like and if you think that those were annoying sarcastic remarks, then so be it. <_<

Edited by Alvas., 17 June 2010 - 02:46 PM.

Posted Image

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users