This is brain-racking and infuriating.

Spaz The Great

So, I just recently set my computer back up((four moves since September, haven't had time/space to set it up)), and it's acting weird as hell. I finally got around to cleaning up the start up, I apparently never did that.

But the problem that is pulling my hair out right now is that none of my programs will connect to the internet. I very obviously have a connection, and can use it, as you're currently reading words I typed and posted using said connection. However, Panda Cloud won't do anything more than a basic scan because I have "no internet connection"((then DO tell me how I downloaded you, asshat)), and Windows 7 Advisor won't assess my computer because I have "no internet connection".

Anyone ever run into this? My Windows Firewall has been off since I first bought this machine, since... Well... Screw Windows firewall. No other program is running a firewall right now, at all. I don't even have AVG anymore, because Panda Cloud made me uninstall it((then almost didn't install itself, I was about to throw a PC out of my window)).

So before I kill things, someone kindly at least direct me to some possible solution.

wtf is panda cloud? :unsure:

well yeah obviously you have internet but for some reason your programs cant access it...but your browser can.

what i'd do, get spybot s&d, and AVGfree. run both in safe mode w/networking (keep pressing F8 once you turn your pc on then you'll see a menu with safe mode, last known good configuration, directory services restore mode etc, choose safe mode w/networking).

im guessing you have XP. just put back windows firewall on for now, it doesnt do any harm.

also, try and run that windows 7 advisor while you're in safe mode w/networking and see if it works. if it does, then some spyware or similar is messing with your internet.

and go to start > run > msconfig.

have a look in the "startup" tab, and uncheck everything there that you're not 100% sure what it is. see in command it will tell you the location or filename of what gets started, most will be from c:\program files so you can recognise most.

Have Spybot, found nothing. AVG has been pissing me off((it's really out-dated, and after seeing and using the new version on another PC, I don't feel like continuing to use AVG)), and Panda Cloud((it's an anti-virus, by the way)) doesn't like AVG to be installed because it's "conflicting". God knows we have to be loyal and only use ONE anti-virus. :rolleyes:

I don't like Windows Firewall because that shit just gets in my way, I'm usually smart enough to keep out of trouble. When I'm not, it's my own problem, and I'll just pull my hair out until I fix it. This is another reason why I switched from AVG, it kept bitching at me to update, and yelling at me that SA trainers I downloaded from THIS WEBSITE were trojans... Funny part was the command line said something about PXagent, ANOTHER anti-virus recommended to me by a friend... And that shit ALSO just got in the way((and now I can't get rid of it)).

The start-up is fine now, but I couldn't even fix that in MSconfig((always could before)), said I didn't have permission. Used Spybot, though. Never knew I could do that. Handy thing to know.

well yeah its not good to have more than one anti virus installed at once since they will conflict somewhat.

yeah false positive, it happens a lot, most of the time it's for trainers etc because they have a key capture function, like, exhibits characteristics of a virus (keylogger for example).

seriously seems like you have some firewall or something blocking your programs since you can access the internet through a browser but other programs can't get to the internet.

but I couldn't even fix that in MSconfig((always could before)), said I didn't have permission.

is your account still "administrator" and hasnt somehow been changed to limited user?

well yeah its not good to have more than one anti virus installed at once since they will conflict somewhat.

yeah false positive, it happens a lot, most of the time it's for trainers etc because they have a key capture function, like, exhibits characteristics of a virus (keylogger for example).

seriously seems like you have some firewall or something blocking your programs since you can access the internet through a browser but other programs can't get to the internet.

but I couldn't even fix that in MSconfig((always could before)), said I didn't have permission.

is your account still "administrator" and hasnt somehow been changed to limited user?

Been the administrator account since I got the PC.

And I kept telling the damn thing that it wasn't a virus. But it's cool, got rid of it now.

And I kept telling the damn thing that it wasn't a virus. But it's cool, got rid of it now.

oh you fixed the problem ? what was it?

oh you fixed the problem ? what was it?

Not the important problem, just the "VIRUS VIRUS VIRUS!" problem. And I solved it by uninstalling AVG.

ah right lol...

you could try system restore to like (when did it last work?) to me it seems like there's something wrong with your internet settings or something :S that might fix it.

the other option of course (not the quickest option but it'll work) is a full backup/reformat/reinstall windows. it should definitely fix the problem and your system will be a bit faster too.

To be honest, I'd love to just upgrade to Windows 7. It makes my computer work so much nicer. However, my only wireless card does not have support, and that kind of shoots me in the foot.

Ah that's shit :(

What wireless card is it? PCI (internal) or USB ?

Apparently some people have got their wireless working with a 32/64bit Vista driver (depending on whether you're using 32/64bit Win7) you could give that a shot.

To be honest, I'd love to just upgrade to Windows 7. It makes my computer work so much nicer. However, my only wireless card does not have support, and that kind of shoots me in the foot.

Ah that's shit :(

What wireless card is it? PCI (internal) or USB ?

Apparently some people have got their wireless working with a 32/64bit Vista driver (depending on whether you're using 32/64bit Win7) you could give that a shot.

I'm sure that would work lovely, if there was a driver released for Vista. :down:

I guess you always have the option to buy a new wireless card, they're only like $30 here.

One of the reasons I haven't upgraded my laptop to Win7 is because of drivers etc I'm not sure they'd have Windows 7 drivers for stuff like wireless, bluetooth since I got it in 2006 (just before Vista came out)

About a month after I got my PC, Vista wouldn't connect to the Internet.

The Networking section showed local connections only. Nothing would access the internet, not even Firefox, but Vista didn't have the 'No Internet Connection' Red X Thing in the system tray. I swapped cables, reconfigured the internet, bought a PCI Ethernet card, reinstalled apps, called microsoft, did the Upgrade function and fix my PC function with the vista, EVERYTHING I could think of tons of times, and nothing ever fixed it.

In the end I had to reinstall the OS. Something got corrupted internally, and nothing I nor Microsoft could do would fix it.

And I knew that my internet was functional since I was able to connect with Ubuntu. Happily, it's worked fine for the last 8 months.

Perhaps the same is happening to you . . .

About a month after I got my PC, Vista wouldn't connect to the Internet.

The Networking section showed local connections only. Nothing would access the internet, not even Firefox, but Vista didn't have the 'No Internet Connection' Red X Thing in the system tray. I swapped cables, reconfigured the internet, bought a PCI Ethernet card, reinstalled apps, called microsoft, did the Upgrade function and fix my PC function with the vista, EVERYTHING I could think of tons of times, and nothing ever fixed it.

In the end I had to reinstall the OS. Something got corrupted internally, and nothing I nor Microsoft could do would fix it.

And I knew that my internet was functional since I was able to connect with Ubuntu. Happily, it's worked fine for the last 8 months.

Perhaps the same is happening to you . . .

but he has XP ? i think.

yeah thats a good idea, download + burn a ubuntu CD and boot from it (live cd) and see if you can connect to the net then maybe do a "repair" install of XP it could fix the problem...

• 2 weeks later...