GeForce 200 series vs. ATi Radeon HD 5000 series

Chris

As topic title says...

I may be doing a couple of upgrades to my PC in the near future, one of which will be my graphics card and I've no idea what to get. I haven't been keeping up to date with any developments from nVidia or ATi, so I've no idea who is best to go with at the moment.

Anyone know?

With my budget, if I went with nVidia I'd probably get a 250 or 260, and with ATi then I'd get a 5770.

So if anyone has any personal experience with either of those cards, or knows of any good reviews comparing them, please let me know and post here so I can figure out what's best for me to get.

Couple of my friends have the GTX260 and apparently it's a pretty decent card. IIRC you're running a 22"...? But yeah it handles games at that res pretty well, not sure if it could max the very latest like Dirt 2 and IV, but it could get damn near...

No experience of ATi's tbh and this thread is also relevant to my interests. :)

As topic title says...

I may be doing a couple of upgrades to my PC in the near future, one of which will be my graphics card and I've no idea what to get. I haven't been keeping up to date with any developments from nVidia or ATi, so I've no idea who is best to go with at the moment.

Anyone know?

With my budget, if I went with nVidia I'd probably get a 250 or 260, and with ATi then I'd get a 5770.

So if anyone has any personal experience with either of those cards, or knows of any good reviews comparing them, please let me know and post here so I can figure out what's best for me to get.

The 5770 really is a better card, about on par with the 260 Core 216 performance wise, but with more features. Don't get a GTS 250, it's a whole tier below the GTX-2xx series. However, if you plan on using DX11 or Eyefinity or any of those extra goodies then I'd say the GTX 260-216 is a better idea.

If you can wait a bit, I personally would get a GTX 470 once it comes out. The price of that is anticipated to be around $240 last I heard. (On par with ATI's 5830)

As for GTA IV, my GTX 275 (one step above the 260) can run GTA IV with every single setting at Very High / Highest / 100% at 1080p and get a steady 35-50 FPS on the street and up to 100 in places like the airport or in buildings. As such, with everything at the top, you can still expect decent performance from the 260.

I was pretty sure that the ATi 5 series are the only DX11. GTX2xx isnt.

However, if you plan on using DX11 or Eyefinity or any of those extra goodies then I'd say the GTX 260-216 is a better idea.

im guessing you meant "if you dont plan on using"

GTX260 is performance equivalent to 4870, more or less. it's better in some stuff and worse in others (games like crysis are sorta built for nvidia)

prices at least here, the gtx260 is about $30 more than the 5770.

http://tinyurl.com/yg2lxpx

as for games now, the gtx260 outperforms the 5770.

I was pretty sure that the ATi 5 series are the only DX11. GTX2xx isnt.

However, if you plan on using DX11 or Eyefinity or any of those extra goodies then I'd say the GTX 260-216 is a better idea.

im guessing you meant "if you dont plan on using"

Yes, sorry about that.

But as I said before, 5770 if he needs the goodies, GTX 260 if he cares about the raw performance, and GTX 470 (DX11!) if he can wait for it and the price is low enough.

Now, between the 5770 / 4870 / and GTX 260, it also depends on what resolution he is likely to use. For 2560x1600, go for the GTX 260, it's better at that resolution. 1920x1200 is more or less equal between the two, and for the lower resolutions the ATI cards generally pass the GTX 260 by a little.

Thanks for the responses guys. I currently have a 4850 and thinking about it some more I might just keep this until I find it necessary to actually upgrade. At which time some better cards will probably be in my budget so I'll look/post again then.

It's kinda annoying the two companies are pretty even at the moment. Was better back in the day when you asked and everyone would agree on one of them :P

You could buy a second 4850 and go for Crossfire if your mobo can do it, that would give your greatest improvement for the money.

Keep that.Not many people rushed to buy a DX11 card, and i do think nVidia's ones are going to be fucking expensive, so i'd stick with what i have atm.(8800GT)

For a person with an 8800GT, it would make sense to upgrade.

If one had a GTX 285, then upgrading to the GF100 would be pretty pointless.

The 8800GT is about to be 3 generations old.

Out of curiosity, what sort of res / settings combo could i get out of a 1gb GTX285 on modern games?

Well, with a memory hack you could run GTA IV with every setting to the absolute MAX and get a steady >45 FPS at 1080p.

For Dirt 2, it would also run everything all the way to the top and more than likely get >60 FPS steady, with good frames even at 2560x1600.

For Crysis, I have no clue.

For FSX (which I doubt you play) it really depends on the CPU, but you should pull at least 30 FPS steady with most of the settings at the top, in every environment.

Was heading for 1920x1080 at 1080p so... SWEET. IMO Dirt 2 and Crysis are about equal, balanced out by the fact Dirt is just a bit more fast paced. Also lolno i don't play FSX.

P.S., the numbers I posted with Dirt 2 are based on my experience in Dirt 2 with my GTX 275.

That being said, it's also the demo version, and that may differ a bit from the real game.

This would be a more reliable source.

They show a GTX 260 at 1080p with all settings Maxed scoring nearly 50 FPS, and with AA.

This would be a better source.

KK, my OC'd GTX 275 performs very well in Dirt 2, so you'll be fine. These results are at the highest settings and 1080p, with vertical sync on (60 FPS Limited) and my CPU loaded to 100% converting video, but set to a lower priority. Again keep in mind that this is the demo.

At Morocco (lots of scenery)

Frames Time (ms) Min Max Avg 3551 60000 53 62 59.183

At Baja (lots of effects and scenery)

Frames Time (ms) Min Max Avg

3518 60000 50 63 58.633

Couple of my friends have the GTX260 and apparently it's a pretty decent card. IIRC you're running a 22"...? But yeah it handles games at that res pretty well, not sure if it could max the very latest like Dirt 2 and IV, but it could get damn near...

No experience of ATi's tbh and this thread is also relevant to my interests. :)

I am running a GTX260 and that will max IV as long as you have a decent CPU and enough RAM. Personally I love my 260 I think it's amazing all my games run smoothly at a decent FPS and look very sexy

• 2 months later...

Just an update:

While I get an average of 30-45 FPS in GTA IV, I recently bought the D2D EFLC version, and for some reason I get a steady 18-25 FPS. Not too good. That's even when downing the Texture Quality to medium, rather than high.

Also, I bought the Dirt 2 game, and it's not different from the demo.

Without VSync, according to FRAPS, I got 59 Minimum, 90 Max, and 73 FPS average. With VSync on, I got 58 min, 62 max, and 59.9 average, a.k.a. perfectly smooth.

So for anyone looking to upgrade for GTA IV or Dirt 2, a GTX 275 or even GTX 260 will be plenty. That's about equivalent to an ATI 4870, 4890, 5770, or 5830.