Some Superior Gaming Specs?

Husky

I ordered a Dell XPS from the Dell website today. And I was thinking about using that one for playing video games online and stuff. I have about 5,000 dollars to waist on this project. Can someone tell me some good shiz to put inside of it? Like I;m a noob to this sort of stuff so I basically dont even know what the hell I'm doing. Also I'm too scared to pull out anything I don't know and muck up the thing. What are the best stuff for gaming?

First of all, why on earth did you pick up a Dell? Besides the fact that the PSU stinks, I don't think an OEM PC like that would take the cake. Pretty much everyone here, like Ray, Steam, Chris and some of the other guys built or had their Frankenstein PCs built instead of some faggy package.

I guess you might as well slap a decent video card on it; pick up the most expensive one that you can afford, like a 9800GT or those 200-series Nvidias. Add some RAM on it, and you'll be fine.

wait so you've already ordered your PC or not yet? if you havent yet, then dont and just buy the parts seperately.

but yeah what huck said is right, im pretty sure they use generic (dodgy) PSU's , they are only good for whats inside when you get it, if you do any upgrades aside from ram and hard drive you would want to change that out for a good brand one (antec, seasonic, corsair)

whats the exact specs of the computer you got? you could always upgrade the video card to something like ATi 5850 or nVidia GTX260, 4GB ram is enough, and change your power supply to say for example Seasonic PSR550 or Corsair HX520

And another thing is, if you want to replace the PSU with a stronger one, you can only get one from Dell since the pinouts are different from conventional PSUs.

oh snap. the old HP computer i had, the PSU wasnt standard ATX size, so we had to get a new case >.<

I was going to order the full stock Dell XPS. Good thing I changed my mind. I think I'll order the PC steam showed me. By the way, how in the heck do i know whats what. I know that small thinga majiggy card is a CPU. Correct? So how do I take that out and replace it with a new one?

ah so you havent ordered it yet.

If you order the PC Steam said, you wont need to change anything :)

But if you wanna know more about it, have a look at these links:

http://www.pcmech.com/byopc/

http://www.buildyourown.org.uk/

or google if you got a specific question, there's tons of information about this on the web.

Fuck Husky, haven't I taught you anything??

Build it.

When you do, make sure that you get an ATI Radeon 5970 for a video card. :) Core i7 is a necessity too. Assuming you have 5k, RAID in SSDs wouldn't be a bad idea either. :)

Also, in addition to the help you get here, you really should also post here to get some advice.

I'll come back later with a full build, busy as fuck at the moment.

And BTW, getting a higher level Core i7 is a HUGE waste of money. For $280 you can overclock the i7-920 to beyond the level of the $1,000 Core i7 975.

Either go for the Core i7 920 or the Core i7 860.

Step by Step Guide on how to build a PC.

EDIT: That PC Steam put on here looks very good. :)

BTW, no offense, but epic fail on the Dell.

GTAIV2010-01-3010-21-53-30.jpg

• Like 1

Husky, if you'd like to do a build, we'll give you some builds. :)

If you want to go pre-built, go either with the one Steam got you, or this. Blu-Ray and more Video power. (Well, if your app is dual-GPU optimized, otherwise the 5870 will probably be equal or faster.)

BTW, to you all: If I won the lottery, among my list of things to buy would be this. :hurrhurr:

• Like 1

I'd rather go with a pre-built. I wouldnt even have the time to set up everything and piece everything together. I dont trust myself on adding on, the last time I tried to build one myself, I unplugged everything in the case just to get the harddrive out.

But the one Raybob, and Steam gave me look good. :)

@WRX - Do you think it would play GTA4? and other games at a good quality?

QUESTION: How many games can you hold on your PC though? 4 or 5?

There are some good system builders that can help you whip up a PC for your needs, some of which are quite better and more reliable than Dell.

I know it's from Dubai, but my 9-year old cousin got a custom-built rig from her dad, who bought it from some SB. Has a 1TB hard drive and 4GB RAM, and a 2.8G Core2. I bet you can find similar builders online or in your area and have one built for you, if you're not in a mood for piecing things together.

@ Husky

I play GTA IV 60 FPS with everything maxed at 1080p with little more than half the power of either of those machines.

Also, with 1.5TB, space for games will not be an issue, unless you're like me and have 50GB of YT Videos, 500GB of Recorded Hannity, and a whole bunch of other shit. GTA IV for example only takes up ~15 GB. (0.015 TB)

• Like 1

I'd rather go with a pre-built. I wouldnt even have the time to set up everything and piece everything together. I dont trust myself on adding on, the last time I tried to build one myself, I unplugged everything in the case just to get the harddrive out.

But the one Raybob, and Steam gave me look good. :)

@WRX - Do you think it would play GTA4? and other games at a good quality?

QUESTION: How many games can you hold on your PC though? 4 or 5?

yeah for sure that's what those PC's are made for. games wouldnt take up more than like 20gb so with 1.5TB you could fit hundreds of games and still have room for other stuff.

The ATi card in the pc i suggested is much more powerful than that GTX 275 Raybob, btw you get a BT module with it.You do the math.

GTA 4 will run very good on both builds though, and i do give you a 100$ cheaper solution xD, and powerful.

It was a GTX 295

Fuck Face.

And as such, as I said before, for apps that can take advantage of a dual-GPU system, it will perform better. If not, then your ATI card will outperform it since it's a single GPU Card, roughly equivalent to the GTX 285.

And BTW, I got Blu-Ray.

The ATi card in the pc i suggested is much more powerful than that GTX 275 Raybob, btw you get a BT module with it.You do the math.

GTA 4 will run very good on both builds though, and i do give you a 100$ cheaper solution xD, and powerful.

It was a GTX 295

Fuck Face.

And as such, as I said before, for apps that can take advantage of a dual-GPU system, it will perform better. If not, then your ATI card will outperform it since it's a single GPU Card, roughly equivalent to the GTX 285.

And BTW, I got Blu-Ray.

what are you, 5?

Again, what part of that sentence wasn't English? I believe that WRX his status like that for a laugh, I found it confusing and funny.

Raybob, you've just got of a suspension, again. Why are you ruining it for yourself and insulting others? I thought after a week you would be able to forget about it but it seems not. Next step is a ban most likely but after all that complaining about the restricted group, I don't think you'd mind a permanent vacation from TGTAP.