What did you dislike about GTA 3?

I guess that this isn't too big of a bump. I think that I have needed to vent some of this stuff for a loooong time anyway. There are actually a few things that just piss me off to no end about III, mostly involving overall game play. Probably the worst it the fact that there are cops EVERYWHERE and ANYWHERE, but they never go after the gangs that are walking down down the street shooting at whoever they please. It would have more of a sense of realism if the cops had more of a purpose than just going after the player, and it would just make more sense period. There is nothing like getting into a fight for your player's life with the cops and gangs working together side by side as a team to eliminate you. The next thing would have to be "pop up spawning". Cops, cars, gangs, pedestrians - everything pops up just out of camera view or directly behind. Even if you "look first" before making a move, as soon as you do: "whoop! there it is!". I just hate hate hate hate HATE that! Whew, I feel better now, a little bit. Thanks for listening.

• 1 month later...

I think GTA 3 is the hardest game of the GTA 3 Era . There are some missions , like "Bomb Da Base " or "Espresso-2-go ! " , very hardly . There are the gangs , too . In the beggining of the game the Leones from Portland Island are more peaceful and they don't attack you . After some missions , The Triads will attack you when you are going to their turf in Chinatown . After mission " Sayonara Salvatore" , The Leones are going to be very aggresive on you . The biggest threat is the Colombian Cartel Gang . When you are going on their turfs they will attack you . I don't like the feeling of the game because it is very strange , overcast and cloudy . I don't like the main character , Claude , because he don't talks and he is very strange . However , he knows to speak ??? Another thing is that the north side of Shoreside Vale hasn't got an end . What is good about that if there is an invisible barrier ? They could do it island . And there aren't very speedy and beautiful vehicles .

• 6 months later...

There wasn't an awful lot I didn't liek about GTA III it was a fantastic game for it's time, I mean yeah, the graphics seem pretty outdated now that GTA IV is around but lets facer it for a game released in 2001 it looks pretty sweet. The game mechanics are also very basic as well for a 3rd person action/adventure game, but again it's 10 years old now, and besides it's nice to go back to GTA III for a nice little challenge, I mean in IV it's easy to get through all the gun fights using the cover system, I like going back and playing III for the challenge of getting through the gunfights without the use of a cover system or crouching. However if I had to choose one thing about GTA III that I didn't like it would be the inability to swim

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

You can't crouch and/or take cover in GTA III and it didn't have much guns. Also, the graphics are pretty sucky. Alo, you couldn't swim, and the only plane you could fly was some crappy Dodo which didn't even have proper wings and didn't fly properly. Also, there wasn't much cars, wasn't much boats, no motorcycles or bicycles, no clothing changes and no eating.

• 3 months later...

Once you finish the mission "Last Requests" the mafia are armed with the spaz-12 shotgun and can destroy your car in 2 shots. really annoying if you want 100 % ovreall:the gang system should have been reworked before making such decision :pissedred:

I think Rockstar intentionally made it that way to make Portland missions more harder, and to discourage you from going to Portland. Also, the mafia are armed with normal shotguns, not Spaz 12s. Spas 12s were introduced in GTA Vice City. And the Mafia are only hostile to you after the completion of "Sayonara Salvatore", not "Last Requests". In order to achieve 100% completion of GTA III, you complete the Portland missions before that mission, as it makes things easier.

Once you finish the mission "Last Requests" the mafia are armed with the spaz-12 shotgun and can destroy your car in 2 shots. really annoying if you want 100 % ovreall:the gang system should have been reworked before making such decision :pissedred:

I think Rockstar intentionally made it that way to make Portland missions more harder, and to discourage you from going to Portland. Also, the mafia are armed with normal shotguns, not Spaz 12s. Spas 12s were introduced in GTA Vice City. And the Mafia are only hostile to you after the completion of "Sayonara Salvatore", not "Last Requests". In order to achieve 100% completion of GTA III, you complete the Portland missions before that mission, as it makes things easier.

Sorry, i mixed up the 2 final missions and the shotguns do look like spazes.but still,i loved portland and if someone wants go around portland, he better steer away from saint's mark (which was the best place to have fun with the police)and i still want to go around portland without being turned into a million pieces when i haven't done anything :cheers:

• 1 year later...

2012 was the last sensible post, ARGH!

Spam, and more crap spam. Chris, better try and stomp this stuff out!

I delete all useless postings from GTAC, so peeps know, we only want serious commentary from users, nothing else. Off topic is accepted (on GTAC) if you're being real, and honest, no substitutes!) 

English is a prerequisite as well.

As for GTA 3, the graphics, easy to condemn given the time frame....2000-001

I fault that the difficulty lies in poor control refinement and something that plagues controllers for consoles STILL in 2013! Hoping the new consoles refine these aspects, it's long, long overdue and why gamers say PC is preferred, graphics aren't really that superior any more.

When a gang in areas where you must do missions get weapon upgrades, I was so aggravated by the three shots your vehicle is finished, one more, you're dead. Do Over, it became just too difficult and I lost a lot of interest then. I feel in some regards GTA V has moments where tasks get pretty overwhelming for other reasons. Have you tried racking up over 3 star wanted levels and maintaining that? I find there's a lot of difficulty doing that, and we're talking about single player.

Edited by BlackListedB

• 1 year later...

Heheh. You guys forgot one thing for sure. This is the first 3D game in the GTA franshise you guys are talking about. How the hell do you guys think Rockstar could've added so many things one game? He didn't have that much idea that time. He started adding stuff after the release of GTA VC. So, I wouldn't say anything related to the topic of this thread, but only this.

By He you mean lead artist Aaron Garbut? He would be the one who designs the main map for the game, however, they do real location site scouting and they mentioned piles of video tapes that take into account building styles and traffic flow in various areas. They don't always translate to effective virtual environments if they were to exactly mimic the findings. As you said, each time the technology evolves, thus allowing more ideas to come to fruition, but this thread is to point out the sore points of GTA 3 in particular, and I think the fact that enemies you betray have so much firepower it slows progress to a crawl. I was prompted to quit GTA 3 missions at a point where I had to backtrack to enemy territory. 

Reason being is I was having my car or truck shot into flames with no more then 4 enemy gunshot hits!! That's just too tough to deal with, and adding to frustration was the wonky control characteristics. It's evolved into a lot more forgiving interactive control, but when you played the retroGTAs for portable devices, again there was sloppy handling, however, it did feel time was spent ironing things out, and adding bikes and other vehicles, improving it overall

• 2 weeks later...

The fact that certain gameplay aspects of GTA III make the game reasonably difficult are a plus for me. In my opinion games are too forgiving these days. I mean you get auto saves and checkpoints and cover systems, yeah they are nice and wouldn't change it but it's great fun to go back to older games to really test your skills

There really isn't anything I didn't like about it. I do think it's a fallacy to dislike it for lacking improvements and features introduced in later games, though. Said additions came to be as a direct result of feedback from gamers playing GTA 3 in the first place. What do you expect them to do, rerelease a new version of it every time a subsequent game improves on its mechanics in some way?

• 2 weeks later...

Making GTAs 3D successors more open ended allowed for multiple ways to complete a mission, this is preferred I feel, it not only adds more ways the user can think up, but because of AI and it's own interaction, the results can differ most every time, but early 2D and 3D attempts at GTA type gaming is far less adventurous and foregiving because of programming difficulty and technical challenges, This is not really a planned way to make gaming hard, but the ideal has been to make game skill more adjustable as part of the game's AI. In the older days, you would select Easy, Normal, Hard, or CRUSHING (Uncharted for example)

Speaking to Trevor Philips above comment, The changes I did wish for as we saw GTA progress as a series, you have to remember there was an actual studio transition from DMA to Rockstar North at the exact time; 1999-2001 where the game set new standards in it's transition as well. I feel anything detracting adds to the dating of the game. Making them stand in more stark constrast. 

To bookend the above comment, I was hoping not for a re-release of GTA 3 in Redux redressing, but the improvements to show up in a Sony PSP version STORIES, or better yet, embellish the older GTA stories and reboot them for Sony PS' Vita!!

I can't complain about modern games at all, but to me the classics are still coin-ops.

I started my PC gaming on an Apple II, and those 8 bit games are also classics. I will tell you, they weren't impossibly hard, and I also don't think they should be, Gaming that's too hard just makes me lose interest, since I hate, really hate, playing levels over and over and not passing! hahaha

Edited by BlackListedB

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

One of the earliest memories is hearing there was some secret location along the top of the map, I loved exploring these open World games, and GTA3 really helped define a direction not only for the series, but reinvent the premise with a better scope on reality and the underworld/crime world.

It also defined how you played the game in it's future variations.

So much has come out of the making of GTA3, it's a watershed moment in video game history!!