PC screwed again

_Ray

Well last night I was looking for an audiobook to download for Treasure Island for my Mom.

I'm pretty sure that what I downloaded was a virus. AFTER I extracted the .zip file I scanned it for viruses and AVG didn't find anything. But the folder would not open, and neither would any other folder or program all of a sudden. So I reset the computer and it wouldn't boot. Just gets stuck at a black screen after Vista's loading logo.

Long story short, it won't boot into safe modegrey_loader.gif or the Windows disc anymore either, although it did right after I first had this problem.

So next I restored a backup to the SSD from November 30th. Still didn't boot.

Now I'm in Ubuntu (live CD) and when I try to access my hard drives it says (for both): $LogFile indicates unclean shutdown and cannot access them, as the NTFS marks them for use.

What do I do now?

Is this a possible side effect from when I reset the computer when it was shutting down from safe mode?

Edited by Raybob

What happens when you try to run it from safe mode/normally? It restarts or..? Be more specific about your problem.

After Vista's loading logo it'll go black like normal, but instead of booting after a few seconds it just stays black with the HDD light flashing faintly every 2 seconds, like it's trying to access the drive and the drive is denying it, like what Ubuntu told me. And the Vista CD does the same thing.

Well, I tried force-mounting one of my Flash Drives as a test in case it has negative effects, and Ubuntu tells me: 'Only Root can do that' The Flash Drive gets the same error message as the two HDDs, and it wasn't plugged in at all during this entire process until now.

I'm completely lost and will die if I lost 850GB of important data.

Well, I guess that if push comes to shove, could I take my Hard Drive and put it in my Brother's computer and try to do something within Windows right?

EDIT:OK, so I just took my flash drive, put it in my Bro's PC, formatted from NTFS to FAT32, and now it works fine in Ubuntu. WTF?

Edited by Raybob

Unbelievable.

Well, after I decided that I would install Ubuntu to my Flash Drive so that I could get out of that low-res bullshit, I accidentally selected boot from CDROM rather than Flash Drive.

Since there was nothing in the CD Drive, it proceeded to boot Vista. I said WTF, I'll give it a chance.

I did absolutely nothing and now all of a sudden out of the blue it just randomly works. WTF.

Only bad news is that since I had restored a backup from November 30th, I have to get back all my shortcuts, downloads, programs installed since then, etc. And even though Thunderbird isn't installed on the drive I restored to (It's on my 1TB HDD not the SSD which Windows is on) all my emails since November 30th and all Firefox saved passwords since then are gone.

So, I've got a bit of a mess to clean up now, but at least it works!

EDIT: Well I've got it all back to normal except that all my emails since Nov. 30th are gone.

Edited by Raybob