3 replies to this topic

#1 _Ray

_Ray

Executioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,107 posts

Posted 11 December 2009 - 02:05 AM

At the left bar when people post there is a section that tells you how many posts they have. Possibly this could be changed to show how many posts total they have, and than also what # post that particular post is.

:awesome:

And I also think that Fun and Off-Topic should count as posts, or at least count as half posts.
Posted Image

#2 Gerard

Gerard

Underboss

• Administrators
  • 3,873 posts

Posted 11 December 2009 - 02:36 AM

Posts in fun-and-offtopic do not count towards your total to prevent people just spamming in there to increase their postcount. This happened a lot in the past, and the people who spammed all day in fun-and-games were getting hundreds of posts a day, and others were spamming there just to get high postcounts just to look cool. Both of these completely undermines the legitimate, helpful posts of this GTA forum. Fun-and-offtopic is moderated only for explicit/harmful content, unlike the rest of the forum, where posts have to also be useful/relevant.

We will not be reversing this just so you can have a high postcount - which is exactly what you are asking for in this topic. We will not be revealing the "real" postcount that includes these non-counting posts, as that would only achieve the same thing.

Show me how doing this would benefit anyone?

Grand Theft Wiki Manager

And not a single fuck was given that day.

#3 _Ray

_Ray

Executioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,107 posts

Posted 11 December 2009 - 09:34 PM

Posts in fun-and-offtopic do not count towards your total to prevent people just spamming in there to increase their postcount. This happened a lot in the past, and the people who spammed all day in fun-and-games were getting hundreds of posts a day, and others were spamming there just to get high postcounts just to look cool. Both of these completely undermines the legitimate, helpful posts of this GTA forum. Fun-and-offtopic is moderated only for explicit/harmful content, unlike the rest of the forum, where posts have to also be useful/relevant.

We will not be reversing this just so you can have a high postcount - which is exactly what you are asking for in this topic. We will not be revealing the "real" postcount that includes these non-counting posts, as that would only achieve the same thing.

Show me how doing this would benefit anyone?

I understand why you would say all that, but you forgot my first suggestions.

Example, at the left it would say:

RAYBOB

Post #: 847 (hypothetically of course)

So it would say what post # this is of that person's.

Edited by Raybob, 11 December 2009 - 09:35 PM.

Posted Image

#4 Gerard

Gerard

Underboss

• Administrators
  • 3,873 posts

Posted 12 December 2009 - 12:56 AM

I didn't forget, still working on the technical challenge of that. It would require additional (low-level) code to increment a new field every time you made a (non-fun-and-offtopic) post, which is possible. But if a post got deleted (or moved to offtopic), then your count would continue to include that (without doing a rebuild of the post database). Also, doing this to start with means going through the post database 30,000 times; which is hugely resource intensive. Probably not going to happen.

Grand Theft Wiki Manager

And not a single fuck was given that day.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users