Whos the best rapper alive?

I like both of them, but I don't think either are the greatest. 2Pac was revolutionary, he brought emotion to hip-hop, and didn't rhyme about killing people in every song, and Eminem is just so different. His debut and follow-up were both superb, and with Dres beats alongside him, he's a match for anybody. Nas has some great albums under his belt, particularly Illmatic. Method Man is another contender, his albums are full of beats that get stuck in your head with an amazing rhyming flow. I also like Notorious BIG, Snoop Dogg, Pete Rock and CL Smooth,Mobb Deep, and many many others.

Some are saying Jay-Z is the greatest but I've never been a fan.

Edited by Bateman.

I like both of them, but I don't think either are the greatest. 2Pac was revolutionary, he brought emotion to hip-hop, and didn't rhyme about killing people in every song, and Eminem is just so different. His debut and follow-up were both superb, and with Dres beats alongside him, he's a match for anybody. Nas has some great albums under his belt, particularly Illmatic. Method Man is another contender, his albums are full of beats that get stuck in your head with an amazing rhyming flow. I also like Notorious BIG, Snoop Dogg, Pete Rock and CL Smooth,Mobb Deep, and many many others.

Some are saying Jay-Z is the greatest but I've never been a fan.

Same here people say jay-z is the best but i just dont see that in him at all.

Dre, Ice Cube, Snoop Dogg and Kanye West are the best around.

Kanye West is a little bitch. He's also entirely too egotistical. Snoop, however, is fucking awesome. And for once, a decent actor, too.

I don't follow all the hip-hop scene, so I don't even usually bother with those people. However, I absolutely love the rap-rock hybrids. I think The Flobots put together a genius blend of the two. I also like Mike Shinoda, in both Linkin Park and Fort Minor.

I will say one thing about Ludicris, he's fucking catchy. I love his verse in Holiday Inn.

OH yeah, I'm also a Peabody, for the record.

ANNNND I forgot to mention, this is in the wrong section. Moved.

I would say 2-Pac as he changed rap/hip-hop and made it more popular. If it wasn't for him I dont think hip-hop/rap would be as popular as it is today.

Top mentions go to Eminem and Kanye West (even though he has done some stupid things).

I really like Jay-Z but I think he gets found out if he sings alone, he always needs someone else to sing with. Just like he needed Alicia Keys for his Empire State? Song and he needed Rihanna Kanye West for the 'Run this Town' track.

Kanye West is a little bitch. He's also entirely too egotistical. Snoop, however, is fucking awesome. And for once, a decent actor, too.

I don't follow all the hip-hop scene, so I don't even usually bother with those people. However, I absolutely love the rap-rock hybrids. I think The Flobots put together a genius blend of the two. I also like Mike Shinoda, in both Linkin Park and Fort Minor.

I will say one thing about Ludicris, he's fucking catchy. I love his verse in Holiday Inn.

Agree wholeheartedly on Mike Shinoda, but I didn't choose him because I don't think he's the best in terms of lyrics and style. He does make for an awesome producer, at least when he isn't sampling the riffs from a hard rock song like on Fort Minor's "We Major" mixtape.

Kanye west is another shitty rapper killing hip hop. and he sucks. Method man can murder him on a track. ya mike shinoa is cool but hes so unrated.

lolol kanye just cops so much shit now :P

hmmm alive, that really narrows it down.

is any of Run DMC alive? they were pretty good (if their music can be classified as rap), ludacris, notorious BIG, snoop dogg, dr dre, NWA, DMX, Ja rule, ice cube, nelly.

i just listed basically all the rap artists i have songs of, not sure of the best but i like all those.

Kanye west is another shitty rapper killing hip hop. and he sucks. Method man can murder him on a track. ya mike shinoa is cool but hes so unrated.

Unrated? Do you mean under-rated or over-rated?

lolol kanye just cops so much shit now :P

hmmm alive, that really narrows it down.

is any of Run DMC alive? they were pretty good (if their music can be classified as rap), ludacris, notorious BIG, snoop dogg, dr dre, NWA, DMX, Ja rule, ice cube, nelly.

i just listed basically all the rap artists i have songs of, not sure of the best but i like all those.

I'd consider Run-D.M.C as rap before I'd consider most of today's "rappers". Jay is dead, but I'm not sure about the others.

What about B-Real, from Cypress Hill? I have a bunch of songs of them, all superb. See a few of them below:

Strictly Hip-Hop - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDC18hjO3TE

No Rest For The Wicked -

Looking Through The Eye Of A Pig - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUXDQUgh-LI

From The Window Of My Room - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5rNnEaUPEo&feature=related

Illusions -

Spark Another Owl - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKNKAFq8N9s

Killafornia - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sw_xzZqzYCg

• 3 weeks later...

@ the bold: LOL yeah, definitely, apparently he cancelled one of his gigs because one of the fans threw something on the stage...

@ the underlined: A man after my own heart, I love Mike Shinoda and the Flobots, fight with tools is one of the best albums I own.

I wouldn't say there is anyone GREATEST there a few very good rappers, all of the ones that I like have already been said though so I wont repeat people.

• 3 weeks later...

Wow... Where do I begin?

Eminem has to be the best. Not to forget the fact he has produced amazing tunes too. He has a great ear for music and his flow is unmatchable. I reckon he's the only rapper I wouldn't be able to rap along in time with as he manages to say lot's of things in such a flawless way. For example, the song Crazy In Love (which I absolutely can't resist listening to again after having already listened to it) always ends up making me struggle to keep up with (while at the same time literally twisting my tounge) and he seems to do it so flawlessly. You can probably even see my comment about it on the link :P I think it's the bit after he says "if it wasn't for you I would never be able to spit this" where I get lost.

Then there's Drug Ballad (which I can keep up with... almost) which really shows how he can flow and rhyme so well. And in the song Criminal where you can really get to know how mental he is. Lol. Seems to love humor and doing impressions. Nearly every good rapper you can think of, Eminem featured with or rejected (lol). And who can forget about Forgot About Dre...

But yeah... There's loads of rappers. Most of them good and/or deceased :( But the thing that I find really annoying is that there's been a sudden drop in good music from any of them. It seems like an instant, synchronized end of Hip Hop where a load of rappers have just stopped making music. Heh, but not Eminem :) Apparently Dre is still doing stuff, but no one knows when he's actually gonna finish "finetuning" the beats, lol. Could take him another few years.

2Pac, 3-6 Mafia, 50 cent, Afroman, Andre, Biggie, Blaq Poet, Bubba Sparxxx, Busta Rhymes, Cee-Low, Chamillionaire, Clipse, Common, Comptons Most Wanted, Coolio, Cypress Hill, D12, Dead Prez, DMX, Dr. Dre, Eazy-E, Eightball, Eve, Freeway, The Game, Gang Starr, Ice Cube, Ja Rule, Jagged Edge, Jay Z, Jermaine Dupris, Kanye West, KRS One, LL Cool J, Ludacris, Luniz, Method Man, MJG, Mobb Deep, M.O.P, Mystikal, Nate Dogg, NWA, OG Loc, Outkast (Love Below/Speakerboxx), P Diddy, Plies, Slick Rick, Snoop Dogg, T.I, Too Short, Twista, Ultramagnetic MC's, UGK, Vanilla Ice, Xzibit

Please, if you have any ideas of changes to that list. Inform me as I'm running low on unheard tunes and I plan to use this list to find the hidden music. And yes, I included RnB here a little.

Kanye used to be good. But meh. His best songs are "Arguments", "Bittersweet", "Family Business" and "The New Workout Plan" (greaat song).

Edited by Deji

• 2 months later...

Before I start I believe the name of the topic is unintentionally a great pun: Whos ( as in sluts ) who are best rapper(s) alive . :))

I don't listen to mainstreammuch, but I could mention some rappers which in my opinion are great

Eminem, great flow & crazy lyrics not to mention the beats which are also great. Best with his group D12.

Snoop, great voice, sometimes funny/legendary lyrics and also the beats ( Dre ftw!). Great at parties and when just chillin'.

Immortal Technique, not mainstream, but amazing story-telling ability/lyrics and attitude.

Perfect for parties: Xzibit, DMX, Will Smith, Jay-Z, Kanye West.

Totally agreed, I was in a hury when I wrote my post, Ice Cube is great, I can't get enough of It was a good day, Gangsta rap made me do it & Why we thugs, Natural born killaz ft. Dre. I somehow detest "gie" gangsta rap type but Ice Cube is an exeption.

More I like to add are: Will Smith- somehow great for parties imo, producers - Dr. Dre hands down.

Outside the subject I like DJ Green Lantern ( colaboration with Immortal Technique ) and DJ Babu ( Dilated Peoples ) both with amazing skills.

Edited by Gycu Brun X

Im back peoples ahhhhhh.

Any rapper who emerged post 2000 isnt really worthy of this candidate in my eyes, other then underground rappers.

I determine rappers by 1. Album quality 2. The impact they leave on the hip hop world and 3. There freestyle abilities. Which is why my choice for best rapper is Big L( R.I.P) as for alive rappers my vote would probably go to Celph Titled, he's underground but has some of the best punchlines in the business.

• 2 months later...