New Hard Drive

_Ray

Seagate vs. WD  

4 members have voted

1. 1. Should I get the Seagate 2TB or the WD 2TB?

• Seagate Barracuda LP 2TB
    • Western Digital Caviar Green 2TB

Hey guys,

I'm gonna be buying another Hard Drive (2TB) and I was wondering if I should go with the Seagate Barracuda LP 2TB or the WD Caviar Green 2TB. I was originally gonna go with the WD because it's the manufacturer of my current hard drive and has always been my favorite (Notice the Signature).

But lately I've been swayed towards the Seagate for 3 reasons:

1) It's Cheaper; $180 vs. $210

2) Supposedly it's a little faster in overall I/O Throughput

3) It has better reviews;

66% 5-Star reviews and 8% 1-Star reviews for the Seagate

63% 5-Star reviews and 14% 1-Star reviews for the WD

So should I stick to my WD loyalty or fall into the clutches of Seagate and buy their HDD?

Edited by Raybob

Also Caviar Green is their lowest model btw, it's marketed as the energy efficient etc. I am not sure if its even 7200rpm. Nor is that Seagate you linked to either. Sure it won't be a huge difference in speed but still...

And umm 2TB is really poor value, at least here. It seems better to buy 2 x 1TB. You gotta ask yourself do you really need that much space for pr0ns? Haven't you already got 1TB on your PC now? Did you fill it already or what lol. Even with all my movies, tv shows n other crap, i think i'd have less than 500GB.

Both of my external HDD's are WD Caviar Blue 500GB WD5000AAKS (better than green but not as good as black) One was from the WD MyBook World Edition I had which f**ked up (the NAS part not the HDD), and the other I bought for my Noontec GV3621 media player. Both have worked perfectly since the day I got them so yeah.

Seagate is good too, I just dont have experience with them. But the barracuda 7200.11 I know had technical faults, I actually came across 2 of those in a RAID. Wow that guy was super cut lol. Both drives basically f**ked.

To be honest I wouldnt trust people's reviews on Newegg. Look up reviews / benchmarks of both drives and see for yourself the stats.

<3 text wall.

Edited by WRX22B1998

Also Caviar Green is their lowest model btw, it's marketed as the energy efficient etc. I am not sure if its even 7200rpm. Nor is that Seagate you linked to either. Sure it won't be a huge difference in speed but still...

And umm 2TB is really poor value, at least here. It seems better to buy 2 x 1TB. You gotta ask yourself do you really need that much space for pr0ns? Haven't you already got 1TB on your PC now? Did you fill it already or what lol. Even with all my movies, tv shows n other crap, i think i'd have less than 500GB.

Both of my external HDD's are WD Caviar Blue 500GB WD5000AAKS (better than green but not as good as black) One was from the WD MyBook World Edition I had which f**ked up (the NAS part not the HDD), and the other I bought for my Noontec GV3621 media player. Both have worked perfectly since the day I got them so yeah.

Seagate is good too, I just dont have experience with them. But the barracuda 7200.11 I know had technical faults, I actually came across 2 of those in a RAID. Wow that guy was super cut lol. Both drives basically f**ked.

To be honest I wouldnt trust people's reviews on Newegg. Look up reviews / benchmarks of both drives and see for yourself the stats.

<3 text wall.

I only have 1 HDD Slot/ SATA Slot left.

Plus, a 2TB Drive is $180 and a 1TB Drive is around $85-95. Not really much difference in value.

Ah right.

Sorry lol, well here a 2TB is $265 and a 1TB is like $95 I just guessed it'd be near the same there.

Still didnt say what you need like 3TB for ? lol.

Home Videos, Backups of my Movies, etc. Plus 10 minutes of FRAPS is like 20GB......

And I record LOTS of TV.

Edited by Raybob