Need advice on hosting

Huckleberry Pie

I know this might sound silly or stupid to some of you, but I really need advice on hosting my Strawberry Shortcake fansite. I fell in love at the series so much that I decided to make a fansite, but my current host sucks. I thought of hosting it in one of them providers here in the Philippines, but Chris told me to steer clear of it as it suffers from high ping times.

Any thoughts on this?

Edited by Huckleberry Pie

free hosting or paid hosting?

even ones where you pay like $1 / month you get tons better performance than a free host , so ive heard.

if free, try freewebs, google sites etc. depends what you need, if u need PHP or other server side scripting etc.

i used google pages for my site, and it worked great. but i dont need any stuff like that. so i guess thats why.

Edited by WRX22B1998

free hosting or paid hosting?

even ones where you pay like $1 / month you get tons better performance than a free host , so ive heard.

if free, try freewebs, google sites etc. depends what you need, if u need PHP or other server side scripting etc.

i used google pages for my site, and it worked great. but i dont need any stuff like that. so i guess thats why.

I'm planning on a paid host, preferably a reasonably priced one. I'm sure Chris can dish out a decent offer for me, but I'm not that sure on payment and stuff, as I'm a bit hesitant at credit cards or PayPal.

I could've made a GTA site instead, but I guess there are way too many 'Theft sites to deal with. Of course there should be a way to gain profit in my site, right?

Google AdSense he presumably meant. People never usually donate to websites unless it's for a good reason, i.e. sites like Wikipedia, or a charity, or perhaps a private community that you belong to and strongly support. A general website would be lucky to receive any donations.

Huck: PayPal is by far the safest way for you to pay myself or whatever company you end up going with.

EDIT:

Also just to clarify what I meant about bad hosting in the Philippines. The country isn't well connected. We can see this by the speedtest results you've previously posted showing how slow a typical internet connection is there.

The servers will obviously be faster, and since you live there your ping times might be fine, but for everyone else outside of Ph. they're going to find it painfully slow I would imagine.

Yeah paypal is pretty safe I use it all the time for Ebay.

You can link a bank account to it , then transfer money into the paypal account as you need it which is good, mine is just linked to my visa debit so yer. gotta make sure not to go on crazy spending sprees.

Oh google adsense is that the thing google pays you for the ads on your website. I remember my friend was telling me about that...

Edited by WRX22B1998

Google AdSense he presumably meant. People never usually donate to websites unless it's for a good reason, i.e. sites like Wikipedia, or a charity, or perhaps a private community that you belong to and strongly support. A general website would be lucky to receive any donations.

Huck: PayPal is by far the safest way for you to pay myself or whatever company you end up going with.

EDIT:

Also just to clarify what I meant about bad hosting in the Philippines. The country isn't well connected. We can see this by the speedtest results you've previously posted showing how slow a typical internet connection is there.

The servers will obviously be faster, and since you live there your ping times might be fine, but for everyone else outside of Ph. they're going to find it painfully slow I would imagine.

I don't have a bank account for now, but will an ATM account work? (I currently steer myself away from credit cards you know)

Yeah paypal is pretty safe I use it all the time for Ebay.

You can link a bank account to it , then transfer money into the paypal account as you need it which is good, mine is just linked to my visa debit so yer. gotta make sure not to go on crazy spending sprees.

Oh google adsense is that the thing google pays you for the ads on your website. I remember my friend was telling me about that...

I'll try PP once I have enough dough for it.

a bank account = you have a account with the bank. and you put money in. and you can use a ATM to take money out or go to the bank :P

oh wait. you mean you can ONLY get money from the ATM ?

Yeah, sort of. My dad seems to eschew credit cards for on-the-spot payment, as well as due to security reasons, that's all.