An iPodtouch explodes into a kid's pocket.

Damjan

An Ohio mother is suing Apple for gross negligence after her son's iPod Touch exploded in his pocket, setting his pants on fire and melting through his underwear, leading to second-degree burns and severe emotional trauma.

iPod Touch owners, be sure you've got a fire extinguisher handy at all times when you've got your hardware in your pocket. You never know when it might explode. A boy in Cincinnati, Ohio, learned that the hard way recently, when his iPod suddenly blew up in his pocket. According to the complaint his mom filed, upon feeling a burning sensation, the poor kid "immediately ran to the bathroom and took off his burning pants with the assistance of a friend," whereupon he found that the fire had spread and burned through his pocket and "melted through his nylon/spandex underwear, burning his leg."

Immediately afterward, the kid was taken to the doctor, where his burns were classified as second degree.

"He continues to suffer from both physical and mental conditions which will cause him to suffer pain, mental distress, emotional distress, and otherwise for the rest of his life," the lawsuit reads. Normally I would scoff at these kinds of claims, but you gotta figure the next day at school all the other kids were calling him all sorts of horrible stuff. And what of the friend who had to take his pants off? There's gotta be some psychological fallout there - that friendship's never going to be the same.

The mom is suing Apple and the employees of the Apple Store where they bought the iPod for gross negligence and recklessness, claiming that they should have warned them about the possibility of the iPod exploding and melting underwear. They're asking for at least $75,000 in compensation plus another 75 grand for punitive damages and fees.

Source: Escapist Magazine

Yet again, showing the great quality of Apple.

Edited by Sтεαм.

I read that and I laughed.

I mean having a phone explode in your pocket is just odd, never would happen to me. But from reading the article and looking at further sources, it doesn't seem the iPhone was the problem, something else was. Wasn't the kid wearing on Spandex/Nylon underwear? A static charge caused by rubbing the iPod touch glass on nylon shorting the battery out, I guess there's a reason why they have cover cases for the iPhone. And from what I heard from the comments within the article the Spandex/Nylon underwear was the culprit. And from what I heard it seems of course the battery is also lithium polymer, so it does pose a fire risk.

But when it's turned OFF, how the hell can it still have some current in it? Unless it was charging (Which it wasn't), it doesn't make sense. And apparently, it seems the kid was had mental scars from then on, I mean, If I had my pants on fire I would immediately take the fire off (By myself) and everything would be okay, if I had physical scares, yes I'd get compensation, but mental scars? You got the be kidding me, I wouldn't let my friend help me, unless the severity was worse. But it wouldn't affect me mentally, I would just use the compensation to buy me a new iPhone.

The story in the end sounds bullshit and fishy.

meh i don't care, this is mainly to piss off those who love Apple and it's iPhone.

Ditto on that. My dad's Nokia pwns the iPhone big time, despite the lack of a 3D accelerator like the N95.

yessssssssssss

ahahahhahhaha

suck shit apple. iPod touch is cool, but its f**kin overpriced as hell man. 32GB is like $600 here. orr get a 120GB regular iPod for $300 ? Hmmm i dunno tough decision right :awexd:

iPhone/iPod touch for $500?

5e778i.jpg

...iPod Touch exploded in his pocket...

...iPod Touch owners...

...iPod for gross negligence and recklessness, claiming that they should have warned them about the possibility of the iPod exploding and melting underwear.

Source: Escapist Magazine

Just to point out, everyone dissing the iPhone, it was an iPod that blew up. Not a phone.

Those touches barely have any current, I can't fathom how it randomly blew up.

• 1 month later...

yessssssssssss

ahahahhahhaha

suck shit apple. iPod touch is cool, but its f**kin overpriced as hell man. 32GB is like $600 here. orr get a 120GB regular iPod for $300 ? Hmmm i dunno tough decision right :awexd:

I bought my 120GB Classic 9 months ago for $240. Apparently there's a new one out that holds 160GB and costs $240.

how the hell can that happen

The iPod uses a Lithium-ion battery. Lithium, obviously, will catch fire and explode when it comes into contact with water vapor. (Obviously there's lots of this in the air)

Unfortunately for the iPod, it relies solely on the external structure to protect the battery. So whenever there's even a small imperfection in the outside of the iPod, the water vapor (air) can get in and react with the battery, causing it to explode.

Edited by Raybob

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...