HDTV without Audio

_Ray

So today, I finally managed to pick up a 10 foot HDMI Cable and drill a hole in the floor so that I could hook my PC up to my 61" 1080i JVC HDTV in the basement, and clone it with my LG Monitor.

Well first, the picture is streched and cuts off a lot of the desktop on the JVC. NVIDIA Control Panel has an option to fix this, but nothing ever comes up when I click the button. Second, I have it hooked up through HDMI (A DVI to HDMI Adapter on the back of my GTX 275) and there is no audio. YES, I did hook the SPDIF Cable into my motherboard (Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R) like the manual said.

Is there anyway to fix the display (Yes, my drivers are up to date) and how do I get Audio to the TV?

See, u used a DVI > HDMI adapter. It started as DVI. DVI doesnt do audio. ever.

so you need to go SPDIF out to SPDIF in on your reciever, or alternatively a 3.5mm to 2RCA from your speaker slot to whatever you're plugging it into.

When you clone, it will run the max resolution of the smallest monitor (say for example your LG is 1280x1024, and the tv is 1920x1080) if you clone, the TV will also use 1280x1024 just like the monitor. you can't fix that. you have to run extended desktop. unless you plug the PC straight into the HDTV without using the LG monitor.

I know in the nvidia control panel you can do like fixed aspect and stretch. fixed aspect being, if your TV is 1920x1080, and your PC is .. 1280x1024 max output, then it will appear on your TV as 1280x1024 with black bars etc. if you stretch, well, it'll be stretched and look pretty shite.

Only way to get what u want (different resolutions on different monitors) is to have dual monitor / dualview set up.

Edited by WRX22B1998

Both monitors are 1920x1080. But I got the scaling thing fixed anyway. SILLY ME didn't realize that the scaling window would appear on the TV not the monitor..... :bashhead:>.<

But still the audio remains an issue. The card doesn't have native HDMI, just DVI. Then why tell me, would it come with an HDMI Adapter, an SPDIF Cable, and an SPDIF Port? Along with the manual (which IS specific to my card) which says that you can use the cable to transfer audio through HDMI from the Video Card.

nVidia cards can't do that. AMD cards can though (whith some special AMD adapter).

However, there was some pain in the ass way to get it audio on NV cards too... Can't remember how though ):

You do get some cable with the card, yes, but the card won't send the audio through the HDMI adapter (because it's DVI in the first place).

Edit: Soo.. I actually still don't understand what those cables are for anyway :P Point being, no HDMI with audio for NV, as it doesn't natively support it.

nVidia cards can't do that. AMD cards can though (whith some special AMD adapter).

However, there was some pain in the ass way to get it audio on NV cards too... Can't remember how though ):

You do get some cable with the card, yes, but the card won't send the audio through the HDMI adapter (because it's DVI in the first place).

Edit: Soo.. I actually still don't understand what those cables are for anyway :P Point being, no HDMI with audio for NV, as it doesn't natively support it.

Then why the hell would it come with the cable and have the manual fuck around with me?

Plus, everybody else on the web says that it works fine.

Edited by Raybob

I dont know why it came with a cable, all i know is this. if it starts as DVI no matter what you put on the end of it, its not gonna get sound. never.

SPDIF thats a different story (Im assuming thats optical? or im thinking of something else)

Why not just use sound from ummm the regular speaker port? For my LCD TV when you plugged in pc via VGA, you plug in audio via 3.5mm (regular headphone type plug) so get a long one of those. Might be noisy though (electrical noise) but there isnt much you can do if you want it to go through rooms.

I'm assuming there's some sort of connection on the inside from the motherboard SPDIF out or something to the video card. U know, like the little black plugs like for front USB and all that shit. Other than that, no clue just use your soundcard or inbuilt sound. Not like you'll notice a difference on a TV unless you have some full 7.1 or something even then its not a big deal.

Edited by WRX22B1998

I dont know why it came with a cable, all i know is this. if it starts as DVI no matter what you put on the end of it, its not gonna get sound. never.

SPDIF thats a different story (Im assuming thats optical? or im thinking of something else)

Why not just use sound from ummm the regular speaker port? For my LCD TV when you plugged in pc via VGA, you plug in audio via 3.5mm (regular headphone type plug) so get a long one of those. Might be noisy though (electrical noise) but there isnt much you can do if you want it to go through rooms.

I'm assuming there's some sort of connection on the inside from the motherboard SPDIF out or something to the video card. U know, like the little black plugs like for front USB and all that shit. Other than that, no clue just use your soundcard or inbuilt sound. Not like you'll notice a difference on a TV unless you have some full 7.1 or something even then its not a big deal.

My TV doesn't have any audio ports on the HDMI Channel. The only way I could do that is to get a DVI>Component (Analog....) converter.

For my LCD TV when you plugged in pc via VGA, you plug in audio via 3.5mm

miss that part ?

the TV has a channel "PC". set it to that, use a DVI > VGA adaptor and thats it. then use a 3.5mm - 3.5mm plug for audio or 3.5mm to RCA if its going to a stereo / toslink(optical) for a surround system.

Edited by WRX22B1998

Then why the hell would it come with the cable and have the manual fuck around with me?

Plus, everybody else on the web says that it works fine.

You are such a FUCKING ignorant bitch.

You've got a DVI card right? It's a DVI to HDMI converter, right? DVI DOESN'T DO AUDIO!

Unless you've got some special edition with native HDMI, you just won't get audio off the bat.

Let's make a statement here: If our opinions differ, I am always right.

And I'd like to know who 'everybody else' is. Tomshardware? They're idiots. Go to any other half-decent site. Everybody knows NV doesn't natively do audio over HDMI.

So, let's get this straight, do you have native support for HDMI or are you using a converter?

Converter it is, so there... it won't work.

But as I said, there is some way around this problem, but it simply isn't worth it and above all, I forgot... I knew it a few months back because I had to hook my computer to my TV, too.

Erm, I have an NVIDIA card and when I connect my HDTV to my laptop with a HDMI cable I can get audio from the speakers on my HDTV. You've got to change the audio output settings on your laptop control panel. But somehow I think you have a different problem because you would of known that.

nonononoonono this is a different situation.

his video card has NO HDMI PORT. it has DVI. he is using a DVI to HDMI plug.

like i said, like jace said. DVI WONT DO AUDIO EVER. just use DVI > VGA and use a 3.5mm to 3.5mm cable much less hassle.

Erm, I have an NVIDIA card and when I connect my HDTV to my laptop with a HDMI cable I can get audio from the speakers on my HDTV. You've got to change the audio output settings on your laptop control panel. But somehow I think you have a different problem because you would of known that.

A laptop doesn't have a card. Rather, it's usually intergrated into either the chipset or at least the GPU is directly soldered onto the motherboard. They build in native HDMI functionality often, thus it is possible.

For this, a converter is to be used.

Like WRX said, it's best to just hook it up and use a seperate cable for the audio.