My Motherboard Shat Itself

Dmac

Okay my Motherboard is beginning to go on me. The PCI-E and PCI slots no longer work and basically i need them. I've found a new motherboard (Asus M2N68) and i have the information below on both my old and new one i want to buy. What i need to know is, Will everything work on my new motherboard and is it just the matter of moving everything from my old one to new one without having to buy any other components.

New Motherboard

* AMD® AM2+ Quad-Core CPU/AM2 CPU Support

* AMD 140W CPU Support

* NVIDIA nForce 630a Chipset

* Max. 8GB Dual channel DDR2 1066

* PCI Express x16 architecture

* 4 x SATA 300MB/s RAID 0,RAID 1, RAID0+1,RAID 5 and JBOD

* Optical S/PDIF out port at back I/O

* Support 45nm Phenom™ II CPU

Old Motherboard

* Motherboard manufacturer's name: ASUS A8M2N-LA

* HP/Compaq name: NodusM-GL8E

CPU/Processor

* Socket: AM2

* Supports AMD Athlon 64, Athlon 64 X2, and Sempron processors

Front-side bus (FSB)

* 2000 MegaTransfers/second

Chipset

* GeForce 6150 LE chipset

BIOS features

* Award brand system BIOS

* Keyboard combination to used to enter BIOS: F1

Form factor

* Micro-ATX: 9.6 in X 9.6 in

Memory

* Four 240-pin DDR2 DIMM sockets

* Supports PC 4200 (533 MHz) and PC2 5300 (667 MHz) DDR2 DIMMs

* non-ECC memory only, unbuffered

* Maximum HP/Compaq approved memory is 4 GB*

NOTE: *Actual available memory may be less

Expansion slots

* Three PCI

* One PCI Express x16 graphics

Video graphics

* Integrated

Serial ATA

* 4 SATA connectors

* Each connector supports 1 serial ATA-150 disk drive

Onboard audio

Built-in High Definition 8 channel audio

ALC883 or ALC888 CODEC

Onboard LAN

* 10/100 Marvell 88EC031

Back panel I/0 Listed in physical order from left to right:

* One PS/2 keyboard port (purple)

* One PS/2 mouse port (green)

* One SPDIF (coaxial) out

* One S-Video port

* One VGA port

* One IEEE 1394a

* Four USB 2.0

* One RJ-45 networking port

* Audio ports:

o side speaker out (gray)

o rear speaker out (black)

o center/subwoofer (yellow orange)

o line in (light blue)

o line out (lime)

o microphone (pink)

Internal connectors

* One 24-pin ATX power connector

* One 4-pin ATX power connector

* Two PATA connectors

* Four SATA connectors

* One floppy drive connector

* Two 12v fan connectors for CPU fan and PC fan

* One 9-pin header for power button, reset button, power LED, and HDD LED

* One front line input connector

* One 9-pin audio header for headphone-out and microphone-in

* One SPDIF output header

* One USB 2.0 connectors supporting 4 additional USB 2.0 ports

* One IEEE 1394a connector

So yeah, All i need to know is wil all my old components work with the new one.

Cool, Thanks. Just needed someone else to go over it to make sure im not missing anything here.

Hows this, I want to get a custom case sometime and since my PC was orginally a Compaq (Everythings changed now, Like nothing is what it came with) i want to get like a custom sticker made up for it saying Dmaq (Yeah random) i thought it was cool atleast.

Hate to piss on your fire, man... but i wouldn't go near another ASUS M2N... There's been loads of reviews complaining about random restarts, driver conflicts, and general temperamental-ness... I was one of the lucky ones, mine lasted a year and a half, and screwed up a 250gb HDD on the way.

By all means, go ASUS, but maybe try to find another model. I'd have a quick search now but i aint got the laptop for long.

Oh and if you're upgrading your mobo, you'll want to do a reformat of your PC, back up all your shit before and stuff though... It's a good idea when you do a major component upgrade.

Hate to piss on your fire, man... but i wouldn't go near another ASUS M2N... There's been loads of reviews complaining about random restarts, driver conflicts, and general temperamental-ness... I was one of the lucky ones, mine lasted a year and a half, and screwed up a 250gb HDD on the way.

By all means, go ASUS, but maybe try to find another model. I'd have a quick search now but i aint got the laptop for long.

Oh and if you're upgrading your mobo, you'll want to do a reformat of your PC, back up all your shit before and stuff though... It's a good idea when you do a major component upgrade.

The reason i chose it is because MSY (Where i go) only has a few Motherboards to choose from. Like, I don't want to have to buy a whole heap of new hardware for it and that Motherboard was close to my old one. Anyway, Heres the Parts List from them, If you know any other ones close to that, A model name would be great. All it needs to have is basically what my previous one has.

The reason i chose it is because MSY (Where i go) only has a few Motherboards to choose from. Like, I don't want to have to buy a whole heap of new hardware for it and that Motherboard was close to my old one. Anyway, Heres the Parts List from them, If you know any other ones close to that, A model name would be great. All it needs to have is basically what my previous one has.

I agree with llama, I bought a brand spanking new computer about a month ago, the mobo I chose was an M3N, works fine, long as I dont do stupid things with it like screw it into the case and leave loose wires dangling about which I totally didn't do ever...

ooooh wow. lucky he posted here good info llama.

hey dmac are you near a msy at all ? they have like rock bottom prices on heaps of stuff, have a look at this > http://www.msy.com.au/Parts/PARTS.pdf

for a mobo. their addresses are up the top.

edit.

WOW, freaky lol. hahha. just saw your post. how much can you spend? what about Gigabyte M85M-US2H $99 from MSY

so what have you got in your comp?

Edited by WRX22B1998

ooooh wow. lucky he posted here good info llama.

hey dmac are you near a msy at all ? they have like rock bottom prices on heaps of stuff, have a look at this > http://www.msy.com.au/Parts/PARTS.pdf

for a mobo. their addresses are up the top.

edit.

WOW, freaky lol. hahha. just saw your post. how much can you spend? what about Gigabyte M85M-US2H $99 from MSY

so what have you got in your comp?

Yeah im about a 20 minute drive from there. I bought a new video card about 2 days ago from there.

All the new Motherboard needs to have is what my old one has, And that one i said has it all. Thats why i chose it.

EDIT: Just compared that Gigabtye one to my old one. Seems pretty much the same? As in all my old hardware should be fine?

To answer your question, Currently i have a AMD Sempron 3200+ CPU (Yeah i know, But it goes)

2GB DDR2 Ram

ATI Radeon HD4670 1GB Video Card (Which is not being used as the PCI-E Slot is dead)

300GB HDD

Edited by Dmac

oh cool. apart from CPU i guess :P

what do you play on PC ?

yeah that mobo is the same CPU type and ddr2, and has PCIe slot lol.

tell me you dont have vista :P

(dont tell me about requirements and its faster etc, its just terrible)

I play heaps of games. CSS, Sims 3, Bioshock, Gmod and more. Thats before it went on me. Also the CPU is Socket AM2, My current and new Motherboard supports AM2 (Dual core AMD cpus such as Athlons are AM2 as well) so i could upgrade it, I think. Would probaby need a new PSU though. No i dont use Vista ;P

yeah that's what i was getting to lol.

oh thank f**k for that hahaha.

whats your current PSU ?

I really should of checked 2 days ago when i found out whats wrong, But i've never checked. Wouldent be anything over 500W or even 500W.

+1 for the not buying of ASUS. I recently switched to Gigabyte for my motherboard. Random restart on the ASUS randomly became frequent then very infrequent. Got pissed off with that.

Actually the first time I've not had an ASUS, all my previous computers I've used them.

As for PSU I'd say 550W minimum rather than 650. Look at my specs (profile) and you'll see they're pretty decent, and my 580W PSU is more than comfortable with all that.

+1 for the not buying of ASUS. I recently switched to Gigabyte for my motherboard. Random restart on the ASUS randomly became frequent then very infrequent. Got pissed off with that.

Actually the first time I've not had an ASUS, all my previous computers I've used them.

As for PSU I'd say 550W minimum rather than 650. Look at my specs (profile) and you'll see they're pretty decent, and my 580W PSU is more than comfortable with all that.

Really? My rig is almost as good as yours and I was advised to go for at least 650 if not 700W.

• 3 weeks later...

Bump, Yeah it saved making a new topic.

Anyway, I'm building a whole new PC insted. Just making sure that this is all i need to buy for it.

Is there anything else i would need to buy or not.

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-M85M-US2H

CPU: AMD PHENOM X4 Quad Core 9750 CPU, 2.4GHz (125W), 4MB Cache, Socket AM2+

HDD: Seagate SATA 1TB

Ram: 4GB 800 Kingston (2x2gb) DDR2

Video Card: ATI HD4760 1gb

PSU: Asus U65GA 650W

DVD Drive: LG DVD WRITER IDE BLACK

Case: Thermaltake V9

Total: $885.30