Why Wait?

Raysk9

The fail is strong in this one!

1. I'm pretty sure we can't make GTA without R*'s involvement. The whole copyright issue thing among others.

2. I'm quite certain that this bunch of GTA modders would produce a shit house game. A game is more than custom player skins and vehicle mods. It takes countless hours of writing scripts, then countless hours of recording the lines, then countless more hours editing, coding and quality control etc. That is just one facet of the game. Then there is also the game/story design, character design, world design etc which can take years.

3. To make the game as worth while as your imagination seems to have, you need technology. Technology you and these other modders couldn't afford if you whored yourself out to 50 really fat chicks for $1000.

Giggity...

The fail is strong in this one!

1. I'm pretty sure we can't make GTA without R*'s involvement. The whole copyright issue thing among others.

2. I'm quite certain that this bunch of GTA modders would produce a shit house game. A game is more than custom player skins and vehicle mods. It takes countless hours of writing scripts, then countless hours of recording the lines, then countless more hours editing, coding and quality control etc. That is just one facet of the game. Then there is also the game/story design, character design, world design etc which can take years.

3. To make the game as worth while as your imagination seems to have, you need technology. Technology you and these other modders couldn't afford if you whored yourself out to 50 really fat chicks for $1000.

Giggity...

I see that you have one the debate. that is if only a small group worked together. I'm talking like the largest group we can make and all through the internet heck if we realy wanted to get cheap we could just use free stuff and mabey not call it GTA. along with that we can just digitaly make a voice by combing the vices of previous carricters. i know a guy that'd be willing to give me the soft ware to do it and i've found it quite easy to use. and the only real reason I got SA was for the killing of cops and people and customizing of cars. so we could make it just a free roam game or if we want to make a real story line we could do that. Clear on what i'm saing?

Do you not understand yet?

It's too complicated for your average GTA modder to even attempt.

It's taking it from the level of modification to creation, which is a bigger step than you'd think.

I see what you are saying yet you still didn't catch my main point Not just one but a very large team. i understand that it is impossible with one person but you seem to think i meen just one and I don't So if its to complex to even fathom that then you probably think its just stupid and i can understand that. no one person thinks exactly alike. and if you dont wan't to try to have the efort then i under stand. but hear me out. Mabey i should have a poll with this. Who thinks its a good idea and who thinks its a bad idea. And understand its only an idea no one has to do it. It was more of a question as well so state your reasons as to why it would be to hard and if there are enogh cold hard facts i'll drop it okay simple as that. Sorry i got you upset.

Do you not understand yet?

It's too complicated for your average GTA modder to even attempt.

It's taking it from the level of modification to creation, which is a bigger step than you'd think.

I see what you are saying yet you still didn't catch my main point Not just one but a very large team. i understand that it is impossible with one person but you seem to think i meen just one and I don't So if its to complex to even fathom that then you probably think its just stupid and i can understand that. no one person thinks exactly alike. and if you dont wan't to try to have the efort then i under stand. but hear me out. Mabey i should have a poll with this. Who thinks its a good idea and who thinks its a bad idea. And understand its only an idea no one has to do it. It was more of a question as well so state your reasons as to why it would be to hard and if there are enogh cold hard facts i'll drop it okay simple as that. Sorry i got you upset.

I did take into account you didn't mean doing it by yourself. I understood you wanted to get a team of people together to make the game. ALL of my points against the idea were made with that understanding/assumption and therefore are still valid.

Let me condense it a bit so that it isn't too complex and you can fathom what we have been saying:

You don't have the resources/capabilities to do it!

It is a MUCH LARGER job than you perceive. First of all, you would have a hell of a time getting these modders organized enough to even get it to the planning stage. Second, you don't have the resources at your disposal to make the game you've built up in your head.

You want to make a game like GTA? Go to college, get some degrees, apply for a job making games, make the game. You'll have a better chance doing it that way than your way.

I suggest you gather a full team of coders to do it, I believe they will find it a hard time to get done, and instead will just bugger off. It won't work, making computers games are never simple.

Firstly, pass through High School/Secondary school, secondly, go to college, thirdly do a Degree in Computer Games Development and finally, apply to a Game developer and make a game up. Easier said than done'. Actually it is. Doing it is literally a hard job, requires patience, and alot of knowledge indeed. You won't even survive on the first part I bet.

Dude this like totally impossible ! First you need resources for this stuff I mean a lot of money and you will need like thousands of modders and maybe more to do this and even if you get them then since it's not their job they might/might not do it. It is not possible that all of them will agree. Na not at all. Most of the modders only know to modify scripts and then what will they do when it comes to creating these scripts ? It will take like 1-2 years for them to understand and start making codes and that also maybe they might/might not learn it. Even a 2d game takes years to create while GTA is a 3d game. As these^^^guys said if you wanna make it then get yourself a degree,apply for a job in a gaming industry and do it. It's not as simple or easy as you think. ;)

I am not saying its impossible but it is near to impossible as soon as you guys will start creating it you guys won't even survive a month. -_-

Relying on people that you don't know to do something is also a huge problem. It is also extremely hard to make a game engine like Rockstar's RAGE engine and if your proposing to just mod San Andreas then not that many people will be interested as at the end of the day its still the same game. Besides, even if you could pull it off, the amount of time it would take would probably be longer than till when R*'s next GTA game comes out. Also most of the modders for San Andreas are European or don't speak English. Everyone would have completely different ideas and nobody would come to an agreement about what to do.

Just giving my opinion on it. Seems like a very bad idea.

This idea has been made by thousands of members, and not one of them will get a result, unfortunately.

The resources used in creating a game like GTA aren't available for public use, and neither is it available to buy. Resources like Research (Which they researched on their own) can't be bought unless given full permission by the company to use it or to whoever holds it. Their Game engine called RAGE can't be bought either, if you think about it, they recently just used it or are going to use it for upcoming titles. In other words, it's their Proprietary Engine (Private Engine).

The cost for them all can vary really, but considering you won't be able to buy it, there's no point in trying mate. Hope this was helpful to answer your question.

If you really want to make some type of game like GTA, I suggest buying one of those Game Makers like RPG Maker XP/VX or something else or better. With some editing in the scripts, You could probably make what ever game you want but won't look that good since their graphics are like what the first Final Fantasy game looked like. That's as close as you will get unless you completely mod your GTA game. If you want a mod that replaces San Andreas with something new. Take a look at Gostown6 made by some members on GTAForums.

Edited by Noru

Generally it would be quite expensive and time consuming to make your own GTA Game. Obviously if you do make a game similar to GTA then you would have to start it from scratch due to copyright laws in the USA. But the time consumption and effort would probably pay off if you do decide to do it. If you do it yourself then it won't cost quite as much as it would with other people - you would have to think of a script, model all the vehicles etc.

You would have to have some basic knowledge in any modeling program, I have knowledge in Inventor - where I made a Microwave with ease and viewed it in simulation. Inventor is a good start for any modeling program. For the script you would need have a lot of creativity and experience to do it. You would need to plan what each of your characters say and what their actions are when saying it. You would need to hire people to do voices. Like I said it will be expensive.

Anyway being in Scotland, Rockstar North are beginning to hand out game creator tools to schools so I can make GTA stuff whenever. That's what the English department head said anyway.

If you really want to make some type of game like GTA, I suggest buying one of those Game Makers like RPG Maker XP/VX or something else or better. With some editing in the scripts, You could probably make what ever game you want but won't look that good since their graphics are like what the first Final Fantasy game looked like. That's as close as you will get unless you completely mod your GTA game. If you want a mod that replaces San Andreas with something new. Take a look at Gostown6 made by some members on GTAForums.

I hoped you noticed I dicied to drop this idea Okay. completly out of my mind when i posted this.

Edited by Raysk9

Haven't you seen all the mods for GTA? All the brilliant models, cool extra animations, coding mods and just about anyone can mod the data files. I'm pretty sure if someone knew how to make a game engine (there's actually loads given away for free) then we could build one from scratch... Can't be assed though. Plus, if it was too like GTA then we'd be sued so there's no point really... We should just continue making full conversions if you ask me :)

• 2 years later...