April 1: End of the Internet?

Vercetti Thug

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Assume it's a REAL virus that will activate itself and kill everyones computers. Normally we would fix it with virus scans, updates etc. However, if we think it's fake, a lot of people won't bother.

April Fools Day is the perfect cover - even Chris just said it is obviously fake, so assuming he was in charge of a big company, he might not bother patching the vulnerability, and if it's real you're in the shit.

As Sky said, the creator WANTS everyone to think it is an April fools joke so that they don't protect against it, and he wins. This is the same with ANY news that happens on April 1st, everyone assumes it's fake, so that is when companies announce a lot of (real) bad news, so people deliberately ignore it.

Assume it's a REAL virus that will activate itself and kill everyones computers. Normally we would fix it with virus scans, updates etc. However, if we think it's fake, a lot of people won't bother.

April Fools Day is the perfect cover - even Chris just said it is obviously fake, so assuming he was in charge of a big company, he might not bother patching the vulnerability, and if it's real you're in the shit.

As Sky said, the creator WANTS everyone to think it is an April fools joke so that they don't protect against it, and he wins. This is the same with ANY news that happens on April 1st, everyone assumes it's fake, so that is when companies announce a lot of (real) bad news, so people deliberately ignore it.

You just want us to think that so that we fall for everything...you sneaky bastard. :lolbounce:

Hopefully it'll only attack users of Norton because they're the ones who generally deserve to get virus attacks for being so ignorant.

Oh wise one, which Anti-virus doth thou proclaim winnar?

I don't. But I recommend one of the following: AVG, Kaspersky, or Avast.

But in most cases as long as you're not using any software produced by Symantec or McAfee you're fairly well protected.

not to be a twat or anything, but werent the world supposed to end or something in october '08, if that didnt happen, neither will this

What the fuck does that have to do with this? Honestly? You're comparing a dangerous piece of machinery that failed, and a computer virus?

i was actually comparing 2 things that could seem to happen, but probably wont

Okay, im sorry guys. I assumed all you internet geniuses would know about Conficker instead of speculating. Since most of you were too lazy to google, here's a brief explanation minus the technical stuff i'd never understand:

Conficker has allegedly affected millions of computers and is set to go off on April 1 when all those computers (estimated to be about 14 million) will be linked together into a "Frankencomputer". Obviously, I was skeptical, but the article made sure to cover the points. I didn't believe it after that still, so I went to microsoft and sure enough, they're frantically trying to find the author of this virus (250,000 USD as a bounty for information!). I say we gear up for the worst.

I have Spybot and AVG Free 8.0. Can anyone give me a reliable link to a FREE security program that will nearly assure me protection? Greatly appreciated.

Edited by Vercetti Thug