$800 PC Topic

_Ray

OK, here, similar to Tom's Hardware PC Building Marathon, pretend that you have a $5,000 budget, and want to build as great a PC as possible. List your build here.

* Cost includes PC only, not monitor, speakers, mouse, keyboard, tax, shipping, etc. Mail-in Rebates DO count. Your pricing information must be verifiable. All parts must also be from Newegg.

NO DISCUSSION IN HERE!!!! I really just want to see builds. ;)

:lamo:

Oh yeah, before I forget, no copying a build that has already been posted (Or nearly copying it, with just 1 thing changed) and no copying what was on Tom's Hardware.

EDIT: THE OS COUNTS!!!!

Edited by raybob95

AMD Phenom II 940 (Cheap quad-core, overclocks like a champ)

Motherboard

4850X2 (Can add another one in the future to increase performance)

Corsair 4GB of RAM

150GB 10k RPM hard drive (REALLY fast HD, you put Windows + your games etc...here...this might put you over 1k so try to find the ~75GB model)

500GB 7200RPM hard drive (Slower but bigger, use this for storage of movies, music, etc...stuff that doesn't need really fast access time)

CPU Cooler

Sound card

Power supply

Case

Media drive (This will probably put you over 1k but I like it because it reads and writes to every media format known to man including Blu-Ray and HD-DVD. Otherwise any SATA or IDE media drives should work. Recycle floppy drive from your old PC if needed)

Also that CPU fan should include thermal grease but in any case I recommend Arctic Silver, it's the best grease you can get and a $2 tube will last you like 10 builds or so.

I tried it. I think I ended up with a fucked-up system, though. I did, however, put it under budget enough to cover shipping, I think((I haven't added it up perfectly yet)).

Whatever. This was my attempt.

Mobo + CPU((went for packaged for the price))

RAM x 2 of these(8GB of RAM)

GPU

HDD(yeah, only went with one big one)

PSU

Media drive

Sound card

CPU cooler

Case(but really, cases are preference, they aren't quite THAT important of a decision)

Total price is $979.89... $1,076.15 after shipping/tax, which would only end up 77 dollars over budget.

To tell you the truth, I don't even know if half of those would work together, I was getting pissy and bored of figuring it out((because I haven't done this in over 3 years)).

here

although that is roughly $1000 AUD (it was very close before, but prices have gone up heaps)

for $1000 USD, (1500+ AUD) could get a lot better.

as for pricing info, its all off here

pc 1 total = 1156 AUD = 747.4 USD

pc 2 total = 1455 AUD = 940.8 USD

Edited by WRX22B1998

EDIT:

RAYBOB Time:

Mobo: GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3P $115

PSU: OCZ StealthXStream OCZ600SXS 600W $80

Case: Antec 900 $100

RAM: OCZ Platinum 4GB 240-pin DDR2 SDRAM 1066 $64

HDD: Samsung Spinpoint F1 HD103UJ 1TB $100

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 Wolfdale 3.16GHz $190

GPU: GIGABYTE GV-N98TOC-1GH GeForce 9800 GT 1GB $155

Optical: ASUS Black 22x DVD+R $25

This totals up to less than $925, so plenty of room to improve.

Edited by raybob95

And Chris, that build added up to over $1,200.

Please, look at the prices before you post.

Read the comments I put in before you post.

EDIT:

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 Wolfdale 3.16GHz $190

GPU: GIGABYTE GV-N98TOC-1GH GeForce 9800 GT 1GB $155

Why would you get a dual-core processor?

You want a quad-core, and it should either be a Core2Quad, Phenom/II, or Corei7. IMO Corei7 isn't worth it right now because it requires a very expensive motherboard and REQUIRES DDR3 RAM (REALLY expensive). Oh and the new Phenom IIs about match them.

Phenom II is a very nice processor at a good price. Why don't you like AMD?

Also no on that video card, 9-series really isn't good. If you're going nVidia (why lol they suck) then the only cards worth it are the GTX 280 or above. Otherwise, ATi 4850/4870 is what you need.

And one more thing, you need an operating system. Windows Vista x64. (inb4 someone talks shit about Vista)

lol vista teh sux

But anyways, he didn't say to include the software, so I didn't. In your personal opinion, Chris, would the parts I chose work together? We're thinking about switching out Chestnut's parts with something like that. She won't want to play GTA IV or anything, but she will want to play HL2 and shit like that.

Oh, just figured based on the price it was a mere decent card. Well damn, that's a pretty good deal then.

And LOL, my PC starts lagging if I try to play HL2 on medium settings......

My PC almost Freezes if I run GTAVC at 1280x1024x32. 1024x768x32 works fine, but I use 1280x1024x16, and usually get around 20 frames per second. Sometimes it'll take like 3 seconds to load 1 frame, and sometimes I'll get like 50 fps.

A Website mentioned somewhere on this forum told me my GPU couldn't run San Andreas.

LOL to all of that.

EDIT: This Forum has been changed to a $6,000 build. Anybody who posts below me must post with a PC Build under $6000. See rules in my First Post. I am likely to change it again later.

Oh, and anybody who doesn't go i7 is a true Jackass. This also counts for Chris82, who will likely go for a Phenom II X4. :D

Edited by raybob95

Anybody whose name is raybob95 is a true jackass. Oh what a coincidence!

Intel Core i7 965

ASUS Rampage II Extreme

ATI 4870X2

Corsair 6GB DDR3 2000MHz(?) PC316000

PCP&C Turbo 1200W PSU

WD VelociRaptor 300GB 10k RPM

Coolermaster Cosmos S RC-1100

Creative X-Fi Elite Pro

Dunno how much that is, I know the 965 is 1k USD.

I've come to the conclusion that raybob is one of those idealist little kids, who assume there is a direct correlation between money and awesomeness.

You just continually spew out numbers and figures you really don't know anything about, besides the price, and use this to try to belittle those who are really, far more informed than you. I'll take your example from the GTA V topic. 300GB Portable HDD's to store games on? Ok, that's fine, would you wanna pay 200 bucks for a game? No you fucking wouldn't. You just think that because it's 300gb, and more than a DVD, it's necessary, valid and 'cool' I could really, really rant for many hours about how damned stupid you sound when you regurgitate this crap... you really need to do your research before just going onto price n' fanboy autopilot. It's really, really lame.

That's all.

I've come to the conclusion that raybob is one of those idealist little kids, who assume there is a direct correlation between money and awesomeness.

You just continually spew out numbers and figures you really don't know anything about, besides the price, and use this to try to belittle those who are really, far more informed than you. I'll take your example from the GTA V topic. 300GB Portable HDD's to store games on? Ok, that's fine, would you wanna pay 200 bucks for a game? No you fucking wouldn't. You just think that because it's 300gb, and more than a DVD, it's necessary, valid and 'cool' I could really, really rant for many hours about how damned stupid you sound when you regurgitate this crap... you really need to do your research before just going onto price n' fanboy autopilot. It's really, really lame.

That's all.

LOL.

And I mean, honestly, what is the point in doing a 6,000 dollar one? Does this include the OS? I'm sorry, but you'd have to be retarded to not be able to build an amazing PC with a 6,000 dollar limit. The 1,000 dollars is actually a challenge because certain parts can get expensive.

And nigga nigga, Intels ARE quite pricey.

The 1,000 dollars is actually a challenge because certain parts can get expensive.

exactly lol.

this $6k limit (6k usd as well...9282 aud...) is just a bit far, and not including speakers and monitor and stuff, its like oh well il choose the most expensive of everything. done. lol.

if its a $800 pc now...

then i guess i go with this which ends up as 747 USD (1156 aud)

Edited by WRX22B1998

Well, whatever now an $800 PC Topic, and once I again I will say that it will likely change again.

Wow. Spam by 3 mods. Llama, Spaz, and Chris82. WRX as also had a hand though. Whatever. And For the love of God, Steveplayer better not respond in here without a valid PC Build, and no discussion.

Edited by raybob95

We aren't really spamming, we're actually discussing shit related to the topic. You know, the same topic you're posting insults in? You can't say no discussion, because that just won't happen. People are going to discuss what they chose.

So I was GOING to do this((almost had my rig down to $800)) until I read that "Must be from Newegg" bullshit. Fuck this.

Spam by 3 mods. Llama, Spaz, and Chris82.

It's not spam, it would have been spam if I replied with one word or something completely unrelated to the topic. If you're allowed to make stupid troll comments to us, we can do the same to you. If you wanna be a topic Nazi, fine, but don't be a hypocrite about it.

Also in my $1k build, swap the 4850X2 for a 4850 and it's around $800. Change the PSU to, say, a 550w or 600w one and you have enough money for an OS license.