Overclocking

_Ray

OK, for my new PC I am to get, I do plan on a little bit of overclocking.

I plan to do all this without changing voltage, or my GPU's Fan.

I plan to overclock the GPU, Memory, and CPU. Not the northbridge, I know very little about it.

I PLAN:

1) Core 2 Quad Q9550 OC from 2.83GHz to 3.2 GHz and FSB from 1333 MHz to ~1500 MHz. Heatsink will be Arctic Cooling Freeze 7 Pro.

2) Overclock Memory from 1066 to 1200 MHz. No overvolt, no timing change, no fan on Memory.

3) Overclock Gigabyte GeForce 9800GT 1GB from 600 to 700 GPU MHz (Comes stock that way) and Memory possibly from 1800 to 2000. (Or less if needed) This will be without a replacement heatsink. Max temp is 105 Celsius, but I would like to keep it well under 95.

Will this all work, be stable, last 5 years, etc., without overheating or having me change the voltage?

Edited by raybob95

and FSB from 1333 MHz to ~1500 MHz

What?

Quadpumped I hope.

Your FSB is that divided by 4.

Anyway, give me your specs, I'll give you advise. If you've got cheap RAM, 1200 MHz is going to be a no go.

Other then that, 1500 quad pumped --> 375 MHz. Which is a very, very small overclock. Why OC your CPU so little, but attempt to kill of your RAM?

RAM usually doesn't go all that far. I think you won't even be able to raise your RAM by 20 MHz without changing your DRAM Voltage. Keep latencies as they are if you are a beginner.

Max temp is 105 Celsius, but I would like to keep it well under 95.

Your card must have some serious problem if it even comes close to 90. It should stay under 75 under normal circumstances. If it isn't, then you might want to up your fanspeed. Or maybe your case is just far too hot.

Will this all work, be stable, last 5 years, etc., without overheating or having me change the voltage?

CPU: Yes.

RAM: No.

GPU: Depends.. it's a non-ref cooler and overclocked. Tell me the temps. If above 80/85, then I wouldn't be surprised if it actually would brake down at some point.

And as I said, you'll need to change voltage for the RAM overclock anyway.

and FSB from 1333 MHz to ~1500 MHz

What?

Quadpumped I hope.

Your FSB is that divided by 4.

Anyway, give me your specs, I'll give you advise. If you've got cheap RAM, 1200 MHz is going to be a no go.

Other then that, 1500 quad pumped --> 375 MHz. Which is a very, very small overclock. Why OC your CPU so little, but attempt to kill of your RAM?

RAM usually doesn't go all that far. I think you won't even be able to raise your RAM by 20 MHz without changing your DRAM Voltage. Keep latencies as they are if you are a beginner.

Max temp is 105 Celsius, but I would like to keep it well under 95.

Your card must have some serious problem if it even comes close to 90. It should stay under 75 under normal circumstances. If it isn't, then you might want to up your fanspeed. Or maybe your case is just far too hot.

CPU: Yes.

RAM: No.

GPU: Depends.. it's a non-ref cooler and overclocked. Tell me the temps. If above 80/85, then I wouldn't be surprised if it actually would brake down at some point.

And as I said, you'll need to change voltage for the RAM overclock anyway.

My RAM comes stock as 1066, so 1200 isn't that far. I was originally planning on 1150. But I want my RAM to last a while.

This PC needs to last at least 4 or 5 years.

RAM: (2 Sets) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16820227298

CPU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16819115041 Heatsink: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16835186134

GPU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16814125246

Case: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16811129021 (1x 200mm Fan, 3x 120mm Fans)

Motherboard: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...%20GA-EP45-UD3P

And I'm OCing my CPU so little because I want it to last. Such as I am not OCing the Northbridge, or overvolting anything. (Other than possibly the RAM)

The GPU I have no idea what the normal temp would be, I haven't built the PC yet. And I doubt that my OC'd Gigabyte version comes with a special heatsink. But then again, I really have no clue.

And will overvolting the RAM shorten its life?

I also need this sytem to be stable, and I would prefer not to change the timings if I can avoid it.

I'm only looking for small Overclocks here people....

Edited by raybob95

It was just a small question, I didn't see much point in making a topic for it.

Nvm then I'll just google it.

Sorry, Anyway, I'm sure you can overclock them a little, but not too far because the cooling system obviously is not made for it, and there's not many options in BIOS. They're simply not made for it.

Probably would drain the battery a bit faster too.

Edited by raybob95

My RAM comes stock as 1066, so 1200 isn't that far. I was originally planning on 1150. But I want my RAM to last a while.

Ok, let's assume everything I say is right.

You can not do that... Despite you thinking that you actually know it better, cause you don't. Especially with that RAM. Not that it's bad in any way, but you just won't get it to 1200 MHz. RAM OC'ing takes quite a bit more than your CPU you know. Even though it's not far, you probably won't get further than 1100 on stock voltage. It's not even that rare that you simply won't be able to pass 1080 MHz on stock voltage.

Sorry, Anyway, I'm sure you can overclock them

Yeah, cause the BIOS one laptops really give you loads of overclocking options...

oh, right. [/sarcasm]

And I'm OCing my CPU so little because I want it to last. Such as I am not OCing the Northbridge, or overvolting anything. (Other than possibly the RAM)

At the moment I'm running a system OC'd to 3,6 GHz, undervolted. It runs cooler than at stock. Don't be scared to overclock a bit more, you'll have enough room for that.

The GPU I have no idea what the normal temp would be, I haven't built the PC yet. And I doubt that my OC'd Gigabyte version comes with a special heatsink. But then again, I really have no clue.

It does. Which is a good thing, I think.

I think so. But really, overclocking your RAM is the last thing one does. 800 MHz is fine for the average person, even for gamers. It's just for things like superpi and high overclocks when one wants 1066 MHz and above.

Overal the system looks fine, though 5 years is a very, very long time. I'd say 3 years. After that it's really going to be one of those old, crappy systems. 5 years is to long.

It won't brake down in that time though (well, it shouldn't).

Ok, let's assume everything I say is right.

You can not do that... Despite you thinking that you actually know it better, cause you don't. Especially with that RAM. Not that it's bad in any way, but you just won't get it to 1200 MHz. RAM OC'ing takes quite a bit more than your CPU you know. Even though it's not far, you probably won't get further than 1100 on stock voltage. It's not even that rare that you simply won't be able to pass 1080 MHz on stock voltage.

Sorry, Anyway, I'm sure you can overclock them

Yeah, cause the BIOS one laptops really give you loads of overclocking options...

oh, right. [/sarcasm]

At the moment I'm running a system OC'd to 3,6 GHz, undervolted. It runs cooler than at stock. Don't be scared to overclock a bit more, you'll have enough room for that.

It does. Which is a good thing, I think.

I think so. But really, overclocking your RAM is the last thing one does. 800 MHz is fine for the average person, even for gamers. It's just for things like superpi and high overclocks when one wants 1066 MHz and above.

Overal the system looks fine, though 5 years is a very, very long time. I'd say 3 years. After that it's really going to be one of those old, crappy systems. 5 years is to long.

It won't brake down in that time though (well, it shouldn't).

1) I've decided that I'm willing to change voltage and timings slightly, and that 1150 is enough if I can get there.

2) Taken out of context, see my post above.

3) 3.2GHz is enough. Maybe 4 years from now when the PC is shit I'll go higher.

4) Oh goodee, the GPU has a better fan. Oh the more OC.

5) I need fast RAM, major multitasker. But I think Ill go with 1150 if I can get it. Ill probably upgrade to 12 or 16GB RAM in a few years anyway, so not a major problem if it only lasts 3 years.

6) Yeah, my current PC was built in the summer of 05, mid-range PC at the time, and now it fucking sucks. But my parents said that if they're going to spend over 2 grand on a PC, it better last a while.

Edited by raybob95

3,2 GHz is fine for a quadcore. Especially if you are, as you said, a heavy multitasker.

And again, you won't really notice the difference in RAM speed. RAM speed rarely is a bottleneck. Even in SuperPi I couldn't really see a big difference between 800 MHz and 1066 MHz. Difference of 266 MHz, but it doesn't really make a difference. I'd say, maybe 3 to 4% faster. Nothing special.

I've spent just a little more than 3k on my PC in 2008 (all from scrath. So the sum includes monitor, keyboard, mouse, speakers. Everything) and I can't imagine it lasting longer than 3 years. Point being that I won't be replacing my PSU, case, keyboard, mouse, speakers and monitor within that time. I think I'll keep those for about 5 to 6 years. But the hardware is going to be upgraded in one years time (when it's slightly less than 2 years old). At least, if I'm not able to run games at max anymore. I could wait longer, but I think that 3 years after date of purchase, the system should be very outdated under my own minimum requirements.

If you want to wait 5 years, then I'd actually advise you to get a cheaper CPU, RAM and mobo and just upgrade over 2,5 years with the money you've saved (and add just slightly more to the total sum). You'll better off like that in the long run, I'm sure.

3,2 GHz is fine for a quadcore. Especially if you are, as you said, a heavy multitasker.

And again, you won't really notice the difference in RAM speed. RAM speed rarely is a bottleneck. Even in SuperPi I couldn't really see a big difference between 800 MHz and 1066 MHz. Difference of 266 MHz, but it doesn't really make a difference. I'd say, maybe 3 to 4% faster. Nothing special.

I've spent just a little more than 3k on my PC in 2008 (all from scrath. So the sum includes monitor, keyboard, mouse, speakers. Everything) and I can't imagine it lasting longer than 3 years. Point being that I won't be replacing my PSU, case, keyboard, mouse, speakers and monitor within that time. I think I'll keep those for about 5 to 6 years. But the hardware is going to be upgraded in one years time (when it's slightly less than 2 years old). At least, if I'm not able to run games at max anymore. I could wait longer, but I think that 3 years after date of purchase, the system should be very outdated under my own minimum requirements.

If you want to wait 5 years, then I'd actually advise you to get a cheaper CPU, RAM and mobo and just upgrade over 2,5 years with the money you've saved (and add just slightly more to the total sum). You'll better off like that in the long run, I'm sure.

Yeah, my $2k includes $300 monitor, $150 speakers, keyboard, mouse, $225 for tax and shipping, etc.

So in reality, minus all that, my budget is ~$1400

Edited by raybob95

Which is enough for a neat system. But really, no system is future proof for something as long as 5 years. It's just the harsh reality.

Yeah, I know.

Unfortunately, my parents just don't get that.

As for it lasting 3 years and being decent, that I do expect of it.

And like I said before, I'll probably upgrade either 12GB DDR2 1066 or 8GB DDR3 1800 RAM in a few years.

Hey I'm curious, is it possible to overclock a laptop's components? Also is it hard and risky?

:offtopic:

Create a new topic for that.

e.g. "Laptop Overclocking"

Simple eh? Yes, we do all learn something new everyday.

Wow you're a tool. :/

People see a broad topic title like "Overclocking" and think it is a general topic to discuss overclocking (whodathunkit!?) and you are just adding what you want to know about overclocking. Creating new topics seems to be your forte so I can see why you'd go straight to that. More topics doesn't make a better forum when said topics would be redundant if it fell under the heading of a previous topic!

e.g. "Overclocking" "Laptop Overclocking". Root words being OVERCLOCKING!

I just had a look at the Computer + Tech page and half the topics on the damn screen are yours. 4 of them overclocking topics. If someone made a "General Overclocking Topic" you could still rape the daily post count stats without having to make separate fucking topics on overclocking!

Hey I'm curious, is it possible to overclock a laptop's components? Also is it hard and risky?

People see a broad topic title like "Overclocking" and think it is a general topic to discuss overclocking (whodathunkit!?) and you are just adding what you want to know about overclocking. Creating new topics seems to be your forte so I can see why you'd go straight to that. More topics doesn't make a better forum when said topics would be redundant if it fell under the heading of a previous topic!

I just had a look at the Computer + Tech page and half the topics on the damn screen are yours. 4 of them overclocking topics. If someone made a "General Overclocking Topic" you could still rape the daily post count stats without having to make separate fucking topics on overclocking!

Very true, I'll try to make less topics.

But really? Calm down.

LMAO. Owned, hey I got a quick Question, my Dell Inspiron 1501 use to have a 2 hour battery life. Now when ever I take it off of the charger it goes to 30 min. battery life after I downloaded a Windows Vista Theme.

LMAO. Owned, hey I got a quick Question, my Dell Inspiron 1501 use to have a 2 hour battery life. Now when ever I take it off of the charger it goes to 30 min. battery life after I downloaded a Windows Vista Theme.

Simple. Uninstall the Vista Theme. And no, really not owned. And just for the record, he needs to calm down.

I am actually quite calm, both now and when I posted those comments. You don't need to be angry to point out examples of human ineptitude and both insult and provide humor for others who read it.

Provide humor by insult....

You're a very open and forward person aren't you? (Not a flame)

It is very true though that insults are humorous..... :innocent:

I am actually quite calm, both now and when I posted those comments. You don't need to be angry to point out examples of human ineptitude and both insult and provide humor for others who read it.

Provide humor by insult....

You're a very open and forward person aren't you? (Not a flame)

It is very true though that insults are humorous..... :innocent:

Yeah, which makes us think that everything you say is sarcastic :P