What happend to Librety City?

GTAspotter

Ok so i think we have all thought about it a some point... whats happened to Liberty city we remember it from III and LCS but what happend to it after then do you think it was the government?

Oh and dont say Rockstar changed it because blah blah blah!

Ok so i think we have all thought about it a some point... whats happened to Liberty city we remember it from III and LCS but what happend to it after then do you think it was the government?

I think maybe the Government decided to remodel Liberty city because of the lack of visitors, then they remodeled it and everyone went to Firefly island and stuff but then there was and economical collapse and the gangs were reborn then Nico Bellic came :clapping:

What do you want us to say? Obviously Rockstar changed it from GTA III because GTA IV is a different generation of game entirely. They didn't keep it the same from the original top-down GTA to GTA III did they?

I suppose I could say that in the 6 years between when GTA III and GTA IV were set, Liberty City was bombed and they completely rebuilt it and repopulated it with realistic looking people?

GTA IV is very likely set in a different fictional universe from the GTA III era. GTA III is set in 2001, IV in 2008. There is no way a city could get that much bigger in just 7 years.

also, that graffiti in IV about the previous game characters is just an easter egg. It does not necessarily mean this game is set in set in the same era.

Edited by TNF

Librety City? LOL.

Well SORRY i don't spend 10 hours a day studying how to spell the name of the City

What do you want us to say? Obviously Rockstar changed it from GTA III because GTA IV is a different generation of game entirely. They didn't keep it the same from the original top-down GTA to GTA III did they?

I suppose I could say that in the 6 years between when GTA III and GTA IV were set, Liberty City was bombed and they completely rebuilt it and repopulated it with realistic looking people?

ha :rolleyes:

If you think about it, GTA III as we know was one of the greatest games back in 2001, and hell, obviously we didn't expect anything to be better than that, eventually when LCS came out for the PSP, it got boring enough that we have to play a new story which would be set still in Liberty City. Obviously, New York resembles to be a city full a criminals, especially with alot of films based around that city, which always become related to crime capers, to crime drama's, and alot of stuff like that. So as we know it, GTA IV has been placed in a more modern version of Liberty City, which I think is way better than the previous version for many reasons. The first obviously being it's big, and has alot of cool stuff to it, the second is that it's a completely new look to it.

Sticking to the old Liberty City would be seriously boring and if it was to be implemented on GTA IV, it would make it seriously suck, even if it had improved graphics, a physics engine, new weapons and cars etc. And what does the goverment have to do with the city changing it's looks? It's not in the same era as GTA III, as hasn't gone into construction or anything. And note, it wasn't because of the lack of visitors or anything to do with the economy, it was just because Rockstar didn't want to stick to the small city they know as Liberty City, they wanted to go for a new look, like every game they create.

And I laughed at how everything changes so quick and becomes the Liberty City it is today, it would take more than 20 years to create a city, and it would cost the goverment alot of money to actually recreate the whole city. This is just Rockstars way of saying they're "Bored as hell" with the old city and they wanted to create a modern view of this game, showing the new Physics, gameplay and graphics of this game. Realisticly, they wouldn't have no reason to why they changed it, it's just so the fans of this game don't get bored of the same cities.

If you think about it, GTA III as we know was one of the greatest games back in 2001, and hell, obviously we didn't expect anything to be better than that, eventually when LCS came out for the PSP, it got boring enough that we have to play a new story which would be set still in Liberty City. Obviously, New York resembles to be a city full a criminals, especially with alot of films based around that city, which always become related to crime capers, to crime drama's, and alot of stuff like that. So as we know it, GTA IV has been placed in a more modern version of Liberty City, which I think is way better than the previous version for many reasons. The first obviously being it's big, and has alot of cool stuff to it, the second is that it's a completely new look to it.

Sticking to the old Liberty City would be seriously boring and if it was to be implemented on GTA IV, it would make it seriously suck, even if it had improved graphics, a physics engine, new weapons and cars etc. And what does the goverment have to do with the city changing it's looks? It's not in the same era as GTA III, as hasn't gone into construction or anything. And note, it wasn't because of the lack of visitors or anything to do with the economy, it was just because Rockstar didn't want to stick to the small city they know as Liberty City, they wanted to go for a new look, like every game they create.

And I laughed at how everything changes so quick and becomes the Liberty City it is today, it would take more than 20 years to create a city, and it would cost the goverment alot of money to actually recreate the whole city. This is just Rockstars way of saying they're "Bored as hell" with the old city and they wanted to create a modern view of this game, showing the new Physics, gameplay and graphics of this game. Realisticly, they wouldn't have no reason to why they changed it, it's just so the fans of this game don't get bored of the same cities.

Well said, hence why I got bored of VCS within the first week. However, the 2001 Liberty City did seem just dead with cars and people roaming compared to today's gaming standards, but back then it was revolutionary.

But seriously, LOL @ the title, I just noticed :lol:

Well said, but i must say that in GTA III i hated the game, most likely because i had already played San Andreas and Vice city and i was expecting a Little more from the game, but then i played Liberty city stories and i enjoyed it, most likely because i had some of the features of San Andreas Like markers on them map, also i thought Vice City Stories was ok because they had elemts of San Andreas such as swimming and planes but also i enjoy the whole felling of the beach type city, i would also like to see another game like GTA IV with all the features like the graphics etc. but set in Vice City only remodeled to be more like Florida(although i have never been to Florida), but with a different storyline to the the past GTA games such as being the son of a property developer but your invloved in crime so you can do things like develop properties as seen an VCS but also do things like buy houses and Apartments.

As alot of people say IV was like III in alot of ways being that there both new starting points and there is much to look forward to in future games. :coolthumbup::thumbsup:

Well, you should of played GTA III first, then Vice City and then San Andreas, you at some point will see how the game developed from a basic city to a large amazing city (San Andreas) and then to a more modern looking city as we know as the new Liberty City with it's amazing graphics. That's probably the reason why you don't like it since you've played one of the series with it's more advanced features rather than the basics features which were obviously hit, steal cars, use weapons etc. which were in GTA III (There were more obviously, just pointing out the ones you do regularly).

RAGE is awesome, Rockstar will definitely keep using that game engine to create more epic games and hopefully have more GTA's in line for the future.

If I'm clear on the question... you're wondering what happened to the old Liberty City from GTA III/LCS? Call it forgotten basically... nothing "happened" to it, you said not to say this but it's the truth and to think something is else is just going too far - Rockstar wanted to make a real life New York City and they didn't do that good of a job of it in GTA III/LCS (even though those titles were based off of NYC) so they redid it. That's it really, end of story.

If I'm clear on the question... you're wondering what happened to the old Liberty City from GTA III/LCS? Call it forgotten basically... nothing "happened" to it, you said not to say this but it's the truth and to think something is else is just going too far - Rockstar wanted to make a real life New York City and they didn't do that good of a job of it in GTA III/LCS (even though those titles were based off of NYC) so they redid it. That's it really, end of story.

Thanks, can you lock this now please

The Liberty City of the GTA III was too small. It took less than two minutes to get from one side of the city to the other (or Shoreside Vale to Portland). Algonquin is about the same size of the GTA III map itself. I would think that if a new city were to be made based on Vice City, it would be different too. It's a completely different era, a different engine used by Rockstar and a better game because of the change.

The city is amazing and is a great improvement since the last game set in Liberty City.

I would want to see a GTA IV Stories to show the past of this city, with some history of the city - perhaps set in 1998, ten years ago.

Well said, but i must say that in GTA III i hated the game, most likely because i had already played San Andreas and Vice city and i was expecting a Little more from the game, but then i played Liberty city stories and i enjoyed it, most likely because i had some of the features of San Andreas Like markers on them map, also i thought Vice City Stories was ok because they had elemts of San Andreas such as swimming and planes but also i enjoy the whole felling of the beach type city, i would also like to see another game like GTA IV with all the features like the graphics etc. but set in Vice City only remodeled to be more like Florida(although i have never been to Florida), but with a different storyline to the the past GTA games such as being the son of a property developer but your invloved in crime so you can do things like develop properties as seen an VCS but also do things like buy houses and Apartments.

As alot of people say IV was like III in alot of ways being that there both new starting points and there is much to look forward to in future games. :coolthumbup::thumbsup:

Weird, I played Vice City first, loved it. Then went to GTA 3, and I had just has much fun.

• 3 weeks later...
I played GTA 3 before VC, and I loved it and thought it was the best ever, but now III and even VC seem so lifeless and boring now with IV out.

True, without interactivity it makes anything boring. GTA 4 adds alot of things that give life to the game, so going back to the old releases you probably will find yourself bored pretty fast.

I'm not sure about graphics, there probably is a balance between the entertainment value of the graphics and the interactivity. So even the game had superb graphic you might still find yourself bored pretty fast regardless.

Edited by Sabin

I'm with Connor, though I don't completely agree with Sabin. The lack of interactivity is a factor of course, but I think what makes the previous GTA's less appealing to play now than they were 5 years ago, is that we've become used to the gameplay in GTA4. In comparison, GTA4 has far more challenging handling, and when you pull off a perfect drift, or the perfect jump, you really feel responsible for it, and although this feeling may have been felt when originally playing GTA3, VC or SA, there is no comparison between those games at GTA4 in terms of driving experience anymore. That's just my opinion though.