Thinking of building a computer

azn

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Funny, you're saying it doesn't use more resources than XP? That's what I meant by wasting resources. Why have a bigger build than you need to.

And even funnier, not too long ago you were on the bandwagon ripping Vista apart. Why you getting so dick-bent over people doing it now?

Also, he's going for price, not only does 4GB of RAM cost more than 2GB, but Vista is more expensive than XP. Not everyone is a little rich kid.

It doesn't waste resources, it uses resources in a more efficient way than XP, especially with SP1.

Yes, when Vista was first released, it was horrible. Now with proper drivers and SP1, it isn't.

I am far from being rich, but Vista HP 64-bit is $100 and Windows XP Home is $90. Big difference. Besides, if you're going to use XP, you should use Professional, it's a lot better.

Also 4GB is good to have for GTA4 in any case, and Vista x64 is the most efficient way to use this RAM.

Right so it looks like it'll be about $1200, but can I ask for opinions; is it worth getting an Alienware computer instead? The cheapest package starts at $999 and has pretty much identical specs to my list, except for the Graphics, an Alienware case and an NPU for better online gaming for $1249 (Using the customize feature on their site).

EDIT: Shit I looked at the US site..

Edited by azn

• 2 weeks later...

I found all this on Newegg

MOBO: No idea, ask someone else. (But I reccomend Gigabyte) Should be <150$

CPU: Intel Pentium E5200 (ONLY $70, 2.5GHz, Dual Core, 800MHz FSB, 2MB L2 Cache, 45nm Tech)

GPU: NVIDIA GeForce 9400GT 1GB 128-bit (77$, 1GB, 128-bit Memory Bandwidth, 550MHz)

PSU: APEVIA ATX-AS600W-BL 600W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready Power Supply - Retail ($99)

Case: Antec Solo Black/Silver Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail ($90)

RAM: CORSAIR XMS3 3GB (3 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Triple Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Retail($85)

HDD: Seagate ST3640323AS 640GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM ($70)

DVD-RAM: LG Black 22X (CAV) DVD+R Multi Recorder ($25)

All together, this PC could easily run GTAIV, and adds up to less than $520.

However, it does not include Monitor, Speakers, Mouse and Keyboard, OS, Motherboard (Should be less than $150), Tax, and Shipping.

And also, for a major CPU Upgrade, go with the Core 2 Duo E6850 (65nm tech, 4MB L2 Cache, Dual-Core, 1333FSB, 3.0GHz) Est. $170

Edited by raybob95

^ no, fail.

Pentiums are heaps of shit, and nvidia *4** series are NOT meant for gaming.

That's a terrible rig.

:withstupid:

Has AZN already bought a PC?

But No, Pentium Dual-Cores, especially that one are really much better for their money than the cheaper Core 2 Duos. That particular Pentium, with a good mobo, is also overclockable up to almost 3.5GHz.

Next, the 9400GT, especially 1GB, is a hell of a lot better than the 8800GT or any other low-end Radeon.

Third, I also suggested another CPU, if that one wasn't good enough. (Do Read, please :rolleyes: )

And also, this rig is WAYYYYY cheaper than any other rig I've seen posted on this forum so far. Plenty of room for upgrade modifications.

Mainly, how is it a terrible rig?

640GB 3.0Gb/s HDD

3GB 1333 DDR3 RAM

2.5GHz Dual Core CPU

1GB NVIDIA 9 Series GPU

For all less than $520. (Excluding mobo of course :whistle::P )

Terrible?

Yeah, no.

Edited by raybob95

However, it does not include Monitor, Speakers, Mouse and Keyboard, OS, Motherboard (Should be less than $150), Tax, and Shipping.

You keep failing to remember that if they are currently on the internet at their house, there's a good chance they have a monitor, speakers, keyboard, and mouse.

Exactly my point, thank you, this PC will be extremely cheap, especially compared to its performance, and plenty of room for upgrade by their amount of left over budget.

Edited by raybob95

Haha. 8800GT worse than the 9400? LOL.

Yes, and 9400GT.

Next, the 9400GT, especially 1GB, is a hell of a lot better than the 8800GT

no... its not.

there's a reason that pentium dualcore is cheaper than core2duo. its worse.

you really think they'd sell something better for less money?

Yes it is. Especially when it's a 1GB Card for half the price.

Yes I do.

An Example: Core 2 Quad Q9550 ($270) and Core 2 Quad Q9650 ($340)

Same exact CPU, only the 9650 is stock overclocked for an extra $70.

And what exactly is worse about the pentium?

Give me specifics.

And don't forgot, I also did suggest a certain Core 2 Duo for him. ;)

Oh last thought, I never said the Pentiums were better, they're just a load better compared to price. Equal performance to a low end Core 2 Duo, but half the price.

Edited by raybob95

You've just conclusively proved you don't know a goddamn thing about building computers. Stop acting like you've actually hit puberty and realise when the Older, Smarter, More aware members are right.

a4mrsk.jpg

I don't intend to offend here, but kids, remember that when buying Nvidia cards, anything less than 5 or 6 in the second digit of a four-digit GeForce model number is definitely for entry-level applications, and is not optimized for GTA IV.

Edited by Huckleberry Pie

CPU: Intel Pentium E5200 (ONLY $70, 2.5GHz, Dual Core, 800MHz FSB, 2MB L2 Cache, 45nm Tech)

GPU: NVIDIA GeForce 9400GT 1GB 128-bit (77$, 1GB, 128-bit Memory Bandwidth, 550MHz)

And also, for a major CPU Upgrade, go with the Core 2 Duo E6850 (65nm tech, 4MB L2 Cache, Dual-Core, 1333FSB, 3.0GHz) Est. $170

OK, due to the very kind suggestions of others, I have modified the build to a setup that remains below $750 (Minus motherboard, est. $150) and can run GTAIV, while staying well below your budget of $1000. (Not on high settings)

GPU: GIGABYTE GV-N98TOC-1GH GeForce 9800 GT 1GB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E6850

Also, incase your 1000 budget was in AUD, $750 = est. 1050 AUD (Over budget??)

About Vista. Get home premium, not ultimate, not basic.

I'm a first time PC builder and I'm interested in building a gaming PC that will cost me $1000 or under that will at least run GTAIV, but not something extreme that will run Crysis.

Funny. GTA IV is heavier than Crysis for me. Well, horrible framedrops, and that's not even on maxed out settings. Where as Crysis does max stable.

Case: Antec Three Hundred (great brand and a great case for the money, pretty cheap as well - Agree)

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 or Q6600 (Q6600 is fine but the C2D should perform better because it uses 45nm technology, not 65nm) I'd suggest getting a E8400 and OC'ing it. IV is very CPU heavy.

Mobo: ASUS P5Q or P5Q Pro (good brand, should work fine) - I guess. They clock ok too.

RAM: Corsair 4GB DDR2 XMS2 PC2-6400 (DDR2 800 is probably the best bang for buck speed you can get for mem right now, DDR3 isn't worth it right now unless you're on an i7) - Do NOT go for 2 GB or less on Vista. It's not nice. 4GB is fine. Corsair is good and unless you're into benchmarking and stuff, DDR2 800 will be just fine

GPU: ATI Radeon HD 4830 512MB or 4850 (the 4830 is a great GPU, currently on par with 9800GTX so great bang for buck card, if you can afford it, get a 4850) - I wonder how you came to that conclusion. 4830 rivals the 9800GT, not the GTX. 4850 rivals the GTX. They're pretty much on par, the GTX having more OC potential. Looking at the mobo of choice, I'd suggest going ATi (I would never, but hey), giving CF as an option. 4850 gets extreemly hot though.. But the case is quite good I think, if it's something like the 900. With the prices these days, 4850 and 4870 should be in reach. They are dirt cheap. And remember, the GPU is the heart of any game PC.

HDD: Any good 250 or 500 GB HD should do, make sure it's got a good cache size such as 16, 32 MB and a SATA interface, good brands are Seagate and Western Digital) - Samsung, anyone? Go for 500GB at the minimum. You'll regret getting a 250 HDD, I'm sure of it.

DVD-RW: Asus DRW-22B1LT 22x (should work great, or there is the alternative of a Samsung SH-S223Q/RSMN 22x) - Sure

Cooling: Buy 1 or 2 case fans and a good CPU cooler, Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro is good for LGA775 CPU's) - Case fans not included with the case?

PSU: OCZ StealthXStream 600w - No. Not needed for any budget machine. Too expensive for someone that's wanting to keep costs low. 500 watt is more than enough for him. Though 600 does keep him on the safe side for if he ever wants CF

However, even Microsoft has admitted it was a failure. It's only been out, how long now?

Failure in the sense that it doesn't have a good image. The kernel is great actually. Look at Windows 7. Uses the same kernel, works faster than XP, with all the benefits of Vista. Like how XP was to Windows 2000.

If you've got 3GB or more of mem, it works great. It just needs an ok system to begin with. If you meet those requirements (not Microsoft's official requirements), then you're fine and it will work great.

Oh, and don't go for Alienware. As Spaz said, they're very overpriced. Not to mention ugly..

I found all this on Newegg

MOBO: No idea, ask someone else. (But I reccomend Gigabyte) Should be <150$

PSU: APEVIA ATX-AS600W-BL 600W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready Power Supply - Retail ($99)

Case: Antec Solo Black/Silver Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail ($90)

RAM: CORSAIR XMS3 3GB (3 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Triple Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Retail($85)

HDD: Seagate ST3640323AS 640GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM ($70)

DVD-RAM: LG Black 22X (CAV) DVD+R Multi Recorder ($25)

All together, this PC could easily run GTAIV, and adds up to less than $520.

You must be out of your mind :P Lol.

That's a very shitty budget system dude. GTA IV is the heaviest game there is. CPU is absolute crap, GPU sucks balls and isn't even meant for gaming.

Next, the 9400GT, especially 1GB, is a hell of a lot better than the 8800GT

Now you're just being some ignorant fool.

x4xx vs x8xx. With the series basically both of the 8 serie, how can you ever even imagine the 9400GT being faster. And how do you imagine 1GB of VRAM making any difference at all?

Lol XD

Well.. the actual point of this post is: AZN is more or less right. Shouldn't cost you much at all. I'd say 900 EUR, which will be something like slightly less than 1000 pounds. Might even be able to get it for under de 900 pounds, if you look good. Really do buy it online and assemble it yourself. Never ever get components in an actual store.

OK, due to the very kind suggestions of others, I have modified the build to a setup that remains below $750 (Minus motherboard, est. $150) and can run GTAIV, while staying well below your budget of $1000. (Not on high settings)

GPU: GIGABYTE GV-N98TOC-1GH GeForce 9800 GT 1GB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E6850

Also, incase your 1000 budget was in AUD, $750 = est. 1050 AUD (Over budget??)

Lol XD

:huh:

Same exact Core model, but set to a higher multiplier (9 vs. 8.5 on the Q9550) and marketed for an extra $70.

Uh, yes. But I found it rather funny that you called it an overclock. Instead, it's a CPU with the same architecture, but set with a higher multiplier.

An overclock is when it's running at a higher frequency than a stock model.

Difference also being that a slower model will simply lack a higher multiplier option. So it really is a different product.