Thinking of building a computer

azn

I'm a first time PC builder and I'm interested in building a gaming PC that will cost me $1000 or under that will at least run GTAIV, but not something extreme that will run Crysis. So today I came up with this:

(I can change it around a little, this is day 1)

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E6300 1.86GHz

Motherboard: EVGA nForce 750i SLI FTW Motherboard

RAM: Kingston 1024MB PC5400 DDR2 667MHz Memory x2

Graphics Card: Nvidia GeForce 8800 GTS 512MB

Hard Drive: Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 250GB Hard Drive

Case: Ultra X-Blaster

PSU: OCZ GameXStream 850W

The CPU and Motherboard are Socket 775, has 4 memory slots for up to 4GB DDR2 RAM

For the sound card, I might just use the on board sound that comes with the Motherboard

The problem I have right now is the price. I calculated some estimated costs according to some websites that stocked the parts and it went well over $1200..

I was wondering if anyone could help me and bring the cost down, thanks :)

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm a first time PC builder and I'm interested in building a gaming PC that will cost me $1000 or under that will at least run GTAIV, but not something extreme that will run Crysis. So today I came up with this:

(I can change it around a little, this is day 1)

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E6300 1.86GHz

Motherboard: EVGA nForce 750i SLI FTW Motherboard

RAM: Kingston 1024MB PC5400 DDR2 667MHz Memory x2

Graphics Card: Nvidia GeForce 8800 GTS 512MB

Hard Drive: Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 250GB Hard Drive

Case: Ultra X-Blaster

PSU: OCZ GameXStream 850W

The CPU and Motherboard are Socket 775, has 4 memory slots for up to 4GB DDR2 RAM

For the sound card, I might just use the on board sound that comes with the Motherboard

The problem I have right now is the price. I calculated some estimated costs according to some websites that stocked the parts and it went well over $1200..

I was wondering if anyone could help me and bring the cost down, thanks :)

Try a better processor instead. I currently have a Pentium Dual Core with 1.8Ghz and it performed somewhat poorly on GTA IV. The rest should probably be fine...

Case: Antec Three Hundred (great brand and a great case for the money, pretty cheap as well)

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 or Q6600 (Q6600 is fine but the C2D should perform better because it uses 45nm technology, not 65nm)

Mobo: ASUS P5Q or P5Q Pro (good brand, should work fine)

RAM: Corsair 4GB DDR2 XMS2 PC2-6400 (DDR2 800 is probably the best bang for buck speed you can get for mem right now, DDR3 isn't worth it right now unless you're on an i7)

GPU: ATI Radeon HD 4830 512MB or 4850 (the 4830 is a great GPU, currently on par with 9800GTX so great bang for buck card, if you can afford it, get a 4850)

HDD: Any good 250 or 500 GB HD should do, make sure it's got a good cache size such as 16, 32 MB and a SATA interface, good brands are Seagate and Western Digital)

DVD-RW: Asus DRW-22B1LT 22x (should work great, or there is the alternative of a Samsung SH-S223Q/RSMN 22x)

Cooling: Buy 1 or 2 case fans and a good CPU cooler, Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro is good for LGA775 CPU's)

PSU: OCZ StealthXStream 600w

I don't know how much all that would be in AUD, around £600 or £700 here though + VAT. If you want to keep the setup you posted above azn, I'd take out the PSU and replace it for a good 600w, a better CPU e.g. E7300 or E8200, better RAM and at least a 4830.

Edited by GTA Don

Case: Antec Three Hundred (great brand and a great case for the money, pretty cheap as well)

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 or Q6600 (Q6600 is fine but the C2D should perform better because it uses 45nm technology, not 65nm)

RAM: Corsair 4GB DDR2 XMS2 PC2-6400 (DDR2 800 is probably the best bang for buck speed you can get for mem right now, DDR3 isn't worth it right now unless you're on an i7)

GPU: ATI Radeon HD 4830 512MB or 4850 (the 4830 is a great GPU, currently on par with 9800GTX so great bang for buck card, if you can afford it, get a 4850)

HDD: Any good 250 or 500 GB HD should do, make sure it's got a good cache size such as 16, 32 MB and a SATA interface, good brands are Seagate and Western Digital)

DVD-RW: Asus DRW-22B1LT 22x (should work great, or there is the alternative of a Samsung SH-S223Q/RSMN 22x)

Cooling: Buy 1 or 2 case fans and a good CPU cooler, Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro is good for LGA775 CPU's)

I don't know how much all that would be in AUD, around £600 or £700 here though + VAT. If you want to keep the setup you posted above azn, I'd take out the PSU and replace it for a good 600w, a better CPU e.g. E7300 or E8200, better RAM and at least a 4830.

This build is exactly right, except stay away from 4830, 4850 is fine.

Seriously DONT get an Intel processor below the E6600 and DO NOT buy an nVidia card unless it's a GTX 280/295. Also yes you'll want 4GB of RAM for GTAIV, especially with Vista x64 (the OS you should use for this build)

Also Seagate blows, as does Maxtor. Western Digital > All

Oh and FYI if you can run GTAIV well you can run Crysis no problem. GTAIV requires much more than Crysis.

If you want to play GTAIV you should really change your RAM and processor. Try to find some cheap 2x2GB (or 2+1GB) sticks and a Core 2 Quad. The core 2 quad doesn't need to be a complete 'massacre', because they're expensive as fuck. At least in here the Q6600 (the one I use) was really cheap.

Why is everyone saying there's something wrong with 2GB of RAM?

Seriously DONT get an Intel processor below the E6600 and DO NOT buy an nVidia card unless it's a GTX 280/295. Also yes you'll want 4GB of RAM for GTAIV, especially with Vista x64 (the OS you should use for this build)

Oh and FYI if you can run GTAIV well you can run Crysis no problem. GTAIV requires much more than Crysis.

Weren't you advocating the GeForce 8800 back in the day? How is that suddenly a bad card?

And I wouldn't suggest Vista for any setup. Why waste more resources than you have to?

That would cost at least 1.5k.

I read a review and it seems the P5Q Pro doesn't support over 3GB of Ram on a Vista 32 bit.

I was thinking of getting a smaller hard drive, around 160GB maybe? Since I hardly use up my drives.

Don, I really like what you've given me, I might just go with that but I still need to find out what it will cost.

And for the case, I'll just go with the Ultra X-Blaster - I'm just wondering if all these parts will fit in it? Since it's mid-sized.

Weren't you advocating the GeForce 8800 back in the day? How is that suddenly a bad card?

And I wouldn't suggest Vista for any setup. Why waste more resources than you have to?

No, I believe Chris had one but now has a 4850; getting an 8800 always was and still is a waste of money.

Also please stop making ignorant statements about Vista. Assuming he has 4GB of RAM and therefore a 64-bit OS, Vista is much better choice. Hell, even on 2GB of RAM and a 32-bit OS it's still fine. It doesn't waste resources. Shut the fuck up.

I read a review and it seems the P5Q Pro doesn't support over 3GB of Ram on a Vista 32 bit.

And for the case, I'll just go with the Ultra X-Blaster - I'm just wondering if all these parts will fit in it? Since it's mid-sized.

Yeah, that's because you need Vista 64-bit. No 32-bit OS supports more RAM than that. It's a limitation built into 32-bit software?

Midtower cases are fine.

hmm

you can check the prices at MSY i think they got the cheapest prices around

their latest pricelist (updated every week)

also i was looking at the same sort of thing as you, although I think i'am gonna get a ps3 first, but i had been looking at prices for stuff a whole lot, this is sort of out of date but the prices havent changed a whole lot. here

lol chris82 dont kill anyone :P

Edited by WRX22B1998

Lol calm down, Jesus.

Yeah Vista's perfectly fine if you have 3GB+ RAM. And yes I used to have an 8800, it was good back in the day when it first came out and still will run pretty much all modern games on max settings, it struggles with Crysis though, and GTA IV is very slow so that's why I upgraded to an ATi 4850.

Also, any 32bit OS has a maximum capability of using 3.2GB of RAM, it's an inherent limitation from the CPU or OS, I actually can't remember why/how it is but yeah. Anyone building a computer now is stupid if they go with a 32bit OS, there's absolutely no point. There's practically no hardware compatibility issues since pretty much all manufacturers still in the business make drivers for 64bit OS's too. The only software that won't run are things made specifically for 32bit systems, which isn't anything modern.

Thanks heaps for the advice so far everyone, it's extremely helpful ^_^

So I've come up with a more accurate list, and fortunately, MSY have a shop that's about 30 minutes from my house!

Case: Ultra X-Blaster / They don't seem to supply it in Australia, may have to buy online instead

CPU: C2D E8400 / $269

Mobo: Asus P5Q Pro / $199

RAM: Transcend 2GB DDR2 X2 / $72

GPU: ATI Radeon 4850 512MB / $242

DVD-RW: Haven't decided yet, the list has a confusing table about Optical drives and stuff

HDD: W.D 160GB 7200 RPM 8MB Cache SATA / $57

Cooling: Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro / $45 / Shop does not supply

PSU: Thermaltake QFan 650W / $179

TOTAL: $1018, excluding case and Cooling

It'll obviously be higher as I haven't added cooling and case costs yet, but it'll probably still exceed $1200 >.<

And since I have a 32bit Vista Home Premium CD, I can order a 64bit for free (according to the order page)

Just one question though, will it be worth saving the money buying basic instead?

Also please stop making ignorant statements about Vista. Assuming he has 4GB of RAM and therefore a 64-bit OS, Vista is much better choice. Hell, even on 2GB of RAM and a 32-bit OS it's still fine. It doesn't waste resources. Shut the fuck up.

Funny, you're saying it doesn't use more resources than XP? That's what I meant by wasting resources. Why have a bigger build than you need to.

And even funnier, not too long ago you were on the bandwagon ripping Vista apart. Why you getting so dick-bent over people doing it now?

Also, he's going for price, not only does 4GB of RAM cost more than 2GB, but Vista is more expensive than XP. Not everyone is a little rich kid.