Windows 7

Spaz The Great

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It isn't. It's a lot better than Vista, and final version will probably be better than XP. It already outperforms both XP and Vista in many speed tests, and it isn't even finished.

I should know... I'm using it right now. Been using it for over a month. I never upgraded to Vista - I tried it a lot, but hated it

And the public beta opens tomorrow! So you can all download it and use it.

It isn't. It's a lot better than Vista, and final version will probably be better than XP. It already outperforms both XP and Vista in many speed tests, and it isn't even finished.

I should know... I'm using it right now. Been using it for over a month. I never upgraded to Vista - I tried it a lot, but hated it

I hope Seven lives up to our expectations of a better Windows; otherwise, I'll stick to Linux instead...

How have you gotten it? And I'm definitely planning on trying out the beta. Hell, if the beta runs better than my XP, I'm sold.

And to me it looks like someone modded Windows to look like OS X.

I hope Seven lives up to our expectations of a better Windows; otherwise, I'll stick to Linux instead...

What? Windows is already the best operating system you can get. Period.

Windows 7 will be the epitome of why it's so awesome...compatible with more hardware and software than any other operating system on the market while offering very nice performance and usability.

I'm going to go play Team Fortress 2, GTAIV, make a new sig in Photoshop CS4 64-bit, listen to the soundtrack of Liberty Rock Radio in Winamp, and I'm going to do it all without API emulation.

Seriously, as a desktop OS, Linux and OSX are laughable.

The only options I see are for small icons and a decision on when to group (into one small square box with a popup menu for which window for that program you want to switch to).

I have my icons only grouping when the taskbar is full, so this allows them to expand and act more like a normal taskbar. Pic relevant:

screeny3ml_th.jpg

FYI I'm using the glassy aero, but on its whitest setting "frost". Just changed it back to standard (showing dark blue against my black desktop), which makes the orange glow from MSN windows more visible.

You can't really judge an OS by looking at it. Yes it has some shiny features, yes a lot of it looks like Vista. But do the features work? Does hardware work with it? Does it crash much? Is it fast to load stuff? Does it take ages to startup/shutdown?

Plus if you're using it in VMWare, you can't test performance at all.

Vista had a lot of pointless shiny features, and a lot of pointless backend stuff (like IIS), but missed out on being usable, and after any period of heavy use it just gets crippled.

7 is better than Vista no doubt. But it might just be better than XP enough for people like me to finally upgrade.

I know Linux is a bit iffy, but why would OS X be laughable? It's an awesome operating system, and pretty much every software you'd need on Windows is also available on OS X. I don't think that this thread needs to go down that route, but I'm just saying - get your schtuff straight before making silly claims like that. If you're only problem with it is the lack of games, then maybe your outlook is the laughable one :P

That being said, I use both OS X and Windows daily. I never upgraded from XP to Vista because there wasn't really anything to convince me to do it - that's the problem with the direction Microsoft is heading with Windows. I want an operating system with new features, not just huge buttons and a fancy theme - that's not enough to get me to upgrade. Coming out with Windows 7 this is soon is a great move on Microsoft's part, they need to actually do something innovative with it if they want upgraders. XP serves all my needs, and I'm pretty happy with it, but I realize that's not good for a business like Microsoft.

Well, I am actually excited about Windows 7 due to the look of Windows Vista (don't blame me, I just like the look of Vista) but I currently have XP. I would like to see a Windows Vista with the speed of XP, but I've heard from "http://windows7news.com/" that Windows 7 will only be available to Windows Vista users and not Windows XP users, which would exclude me. Is this true? I would only be able to get Windows 7 Beta if I had Vista? :awecry:

Edited by NotYouHaha

I know Linux is a bit iffy, but why would OS X be laughable? It's an awesome operating system, and pretty much every software you'd need on Windows is also available on OS X.

Well, it may be in crippled form, yes. Everyone touts OSX as being superior for graphical design. You don't have Photoshop CS4 64-bit which makes Windows a lot more helpful for professional photographers. You can't use the GSM codec which is very important in voice chat...again, gaming I know, OSX isn't for that, and I understand. It's okay to spend a ridiculous amount of money on a PC you can't use for that. (Well, you could boot into Windows, but what was the point of spending that much again?)

Also YOU NEED TO RESTART YOUR COMPUTER. HOLD DOWN THE POWER BUTTON FOR SEVERAL SECONDS. In the time I've used Macs I've gotten exponentially more kernal panics than I can count. And inb4 BSOD on Windows, Windows Vista fixed this to the point where the only time you should see a bluescreen EVER is when your hardware is failing or your drivers are bad.

Anyway Windows 7 looks awesome and I can't wait to try it. They said they'd release it as a free download to test today but their site is slow as shit so I guess I'll wait a bit.

Seems to look sexy if you ask me.

I believe my College will upgrade to this, some of the staff were talking about this a few days ago. I'm not really gonna upgrade, I'm sticking with Vista for the time being, until I feel Vista isn't working for me. But yeah, looks good, and hopefully, once it's out, I guess I'll hear what people say first, then It'll be my choice then afterwards.

I use Windows and OS X and Linux all for different purposes because I'm awesome. :P

Web Development is far easier on Macs.

Gaming is far better on Windows.

Servers are far better running on Linux.

etc.

There is no best OS, only the one which is best suited for your needs.

I downloaded the beta ages ago but never got round to installing. Since it's public now anyway I might get it and see what it's like. I suppose I could test IV on it too.

Microsoft have taken down the download links due to high demand. However, the files are still on their servers so you can still download them if you want to try out the beta:

32 Bit: http://download.microsoft.com/download/6/3...LFRE_EN_DVD.iso

64 Bit: http://download.microsoft.com/download/6/3...XFRE_EN_DVD.ISO