GTA4 Rocks now I've got it working! :o)

Crafty1980

Hi everyone!

Right, this is a follow-up from my quick post yesterday...

I've now got the new 9800 GTX+ installed and the game runs like a dream (well, performance wise anyway!)

My biggest bug with the game now is that it's clearly been a rushed conversion!!!!

You can clearly that in, some places, polygons & textures don't fit properly... It's little things like that that really annoy the hell out of me.

I think that, for now, I'll stick with 1280x1024 and medium graphics and medium texture

Poor show rockstar... I just hope the gameplay makes up for it! (expereince of playing it for a couple of days on a friends xBox means it will!!)

GTA SA was perfection... this won't be until they start patching it!

My Hardware:

Hardware

TYAN S2982 MoBo

Dual Core AMD Opteron Processor 270

Dual Core AMD Opteron Processor 270

4GB (4x1GB - Split 2x1GB between each CPU) DDR 400 PC3200 Corsair RAM

Video Adapter: NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GTX+

Audio Adapter: SB Live! 24-bit

Microsoft Windows XP Professional

Service Pack 3

---------------------------------------

Statistics

Average FPS: 31.42

Duration: 37.30 sec

CPU Usage: 55%

System memory usage: 66%

Video memory usage: 97%

Graphics Settings

Video Mode: 1280 x 1024 (60 Hz)

Texture Quality: Medium

Render Quality: High

View Distance: 25

Detail Distance: 37

Statistics

Average FPS: 32.75

Duration: 37.25 sec

CPU Usage: 63%

System memory usage: 62%

Video memory usage: 89%

Graphics Settings

Video Mode: 1024 x 768 (60 Hz)

Render Quality: Very High

View Distance: 30

Detail Distance: 40

Statistics

Average FPS: 32.45

Duration: 37.10 sec

CPU Usage: 61%

System memory usage: 64%

Video memory usage: 91%

Graphics Settings

Render Quality: Highest

Statistics

Average FPS: 30.17

Duration: 37.59 sec

CPU Usage: 65%

System memory usage: 63%

Video memory usage: 100%

Graphics Settings

Texture Quality: High

Render Quality: High

View Distance: 25

Detail Distance: 35

Average FPS: 28.43

Duration: 37.32 sec

CPU Usage: 66%

System memory usage: 60%

Video memory usage: 100%

Graphics Settings

Video Mode: 1280 x 1024 (60 Hz)

Texture Quality: High

Render Quality: Highest

It rocks? It will never rock. Never ever ever.

Oh now don't be like that!

Don't get me wrong... I'm still FURIOUS (like many others) about the horrible install, the STUPID club shit, the HUGELY annoying Live! shit, the total lack of cohearant answers from Rockstar about all game issues, the undeniable fact that this game really wasn't ready for release to the PC this month and have sold out to christmas pressure... BUT... I now that I've got it working (and still looking better than the xBox 30 version I might add) the story is once again a total masterpeice...

As i said before, i just can't weit for some decent updates to make it the game it is really capable ofbeing...

At the moment, I give it 7.5/10... But there's still potential to make it 9.5/10... (I can never give it 10 due to the reasons listed above!)

Don't get me wrong... I'm still FURIOUS (like many others) about the horrible install, the STUPID club shit, the HUGELY annoying Live! shit, the total lack of cohearant answers from Rockstar about all game issues, the undeniable fact that this game really wasn't ready for release to the PC this month and have sold out to christmas pressure... BUT... I now that I've got it working (and still looking better than the xBox 30 version I might add) the story is once again a total masterpeice...

As i said before, i just can't weit for some decent updates to make it the game it is really capable ofbeing...

At the moment, I give it 7.5/10... But there's still potential to make it 9.5/10... (I can never give it 10 due to the reasons listed above!)

So are you sayin that your issue was because of your graphics card ? What did you have ?

My friggin game is corrupt or has become corrupt or something, its got BAD problems, buildings arent there, you jus see windows, cars head/tail lights can be seen, no road, etc... I tried everything I know to fix it but.. See its like it started out somewhat ok in first load but lookt a lil rough, so I tried to tweak the gp settings in the ingame menu but then I come back & there is no road, other stuff is missing, I managed to save the game, then when I loaded up later on, all I could see were windows, light bulbs in the safehouse, NIKO was not visible.. I cannot find what has caused this, cuz changing ingame gp settings does not help, changing card settings, updated drivers, uninstall, reinstall the game does not help, its fkt up .. I mean I can oddly enough, move the camera around and sometimes it blips and I can see some of the road and car & stuff but its glitchy, twitchy.. Tried diff monitor settings and monitor too. Other games not intense as this one, run perfect so ...

I havent gotten a reply from T2 support yet, sent them files..

My specs are:

Vista Prem

Nvid 9600GT 512 MB

D-core 2.6GHz

2 GB Ram - I started wondering if that was the cause ?? missing what only .5GB from the recommened reqs... dunno

I, like you, HATE the social club popups & sign in crap.. but I do realize that afterall, you DONT have to sign in to save your game if you're playing single, I thought you did since it tells you "...if you dont sign in you wont be able to save your progress..." but you dont, you just dont have the stuff saved I guess "online" in their servers w/ your trophies/acheivements...

UPDATING: I've found info in a help file on RS site, it would seem the problem w/ my graphics is the cause of a gp tuner I had on my pc that I had used previously to tweak my card.. Unfortunately it appears that I uninstalled it w/ out the program having reverting them back... So I've tried to restore to a previous date assuming it is file based but now can't get RGSCLauncher to work, jus stops w/ an error... sheesh,

Edited by Mehhh

See this is what I'm seeing on Amazon and GameSpot. People are abosulety ripping the game apart, calling Rockstar idots, greedy, and lairs. All I

see are negative reviews. Take Gamespot for example people are bashing the game. We can just hope that the patches are released fast and wonder why on

Earth did they release GTA IV in this stae.

Yea, I wasnt happy about the problems but I've spent hours and days trying to find solutions and I can say that, SO FAR, after ALL I've been through.... I wont post it all, here is a pic of something similar to what I was seeing

http://img247.imageshack.us/img247/6201/gtashagainmt1.jpg

Keeping in mind, that I dont think that article I read on RS's site about a graphics card tuner, was the fault or necessarily, since I restored my system to a time predating the tuner, removed & reinstalled all drivers and still I got the same problem, as you see above... But then I got a RGSCLauncher stopped, error so I decided to "-windowed" the target in a shortcut I created of RGSCLauncher.exe ( not to be mistaken for the GTALauncher shortcut "-windowed" ) , it actually ran, I got in game, got that image above after running up the hill, but then tabbing out the game to paste that pic, then coming back into the game, stuff began reappearing, (I'm still waiting to hear back from support but I"m thinkin of gettin more sys ram) I decided to increase my settings

to:

My resolution is 1440x900, 60Hz

View distance 37

Detail distance 99

Vehicle detail 99

Shadow 5

Vid mem used 468MB

I got this image

http://img389.imageshack.us/img389/9762/gtahuh1gv4.jpg

I hope things continue to be fine from now on ... I'm not cursing RS, everybody wants the same thing, the game to work!! & for gamers to have a satisfying experience...

Edited by Mehhh

So are you sayin that your issue was because of your graphics card ? What did you have ?

Yup,

I had a QuadroFX 4500 before. It's an amazing card for CAD/3D apps but absolutely hates games... I had the same problem with Half-Life: Episode 1 last year. I managed to solve that game because they included a command line that let you run it in Directx8 mode... GTA needs v9.0c (or v10 if you're running vista)

My friggin game is corrupt or has become corrupt or something, its got BAD problems, buildings arent there, you jus see windows, cars head/tail lights can be seen, no road, etc... I tried everything I know to fix it but.. See its like it started out somewhat ok in first load but lookt a lil rough, so I tried to tweak the gp settings in the ingame menu but then I come back & there is no road, other stuff is missing, I managed to save the game, then when I loaded up later on, all I could see were windows, light bulbs in the safehouse, NIKO was not visible.. I cannot find what has caused this, cuz changing ingame gp settings does not help, changing card settings, updated drivers, uninstall, reinstall the game does not help, its fkt up .. I mean I can oddly enough, move the camera around and sometimes it blips and I can see some of the road and car & stuff but its glitchy, twitchy.. Tried diff monitor settings and monitor too. Other games not intense as this one, run perfect so ...

When I was running the QuadroFX, I had EXACTLY the same problems with graphics... Buildings weren't there, Polygons kept flashing, there was no water, the whole game was slow and juddery... there was also no HUD or in game menu! (so saving was an issue! - I only managed to exit because i remembered what the menu system looks like from the xBox version!

re: Your specs, I don't think there shouldn't be any problem running the game on that spec... I know it's a really condesending question because I'm sure you have done it, but have you made absolutely sure that ALL your drivers have been updated? Even the trivial ones like your soundcard and network card etc? (I had major problems with GTA SA and it turned out it was my soundcard!)

Also, are you running AMD or Intel? If it's AMD, I reccomend downloading the optimiser from their website. I can't remember the exact addrss but it shoudn't be hard to find from amd.com... If you're running Intel, I'm sure they will do something similar too!

Oh, another thing, make sure you update DirectX straight from the MS website. I've noticed that if you let the GTA IV install try and update it for you, it still misses out a couple of remedial updates. I don't know if it has an effect on the game, but anything is worth a try! :)

I, like you, HATE the social club popups & sign in crap.. but I do realize that afterall, you DONT have to sign in to save your game if you're playing single, I thought you did since it tells you "...if you dont sign in you wont be able to save your progress..." but you dont, you just dont have the stuff saved I guess "online" in their servers w/ your trophies/acheivements...

As far as I can see, there's absolutely no point to social club!! All those achievement things go through Live! (which I'm also pissed off that you have to sign in to even collect the achievements etc...) The only glimmer of hope I can see from logging in to all these things, is that I wonder if we'll be able to multiplay with xBox 360 users?? It would be worth while if that was the case, but I can't find anything about whether or not it's possible?!? Does anyone know if it can be done?

UPDATING: I've found info in a help file on RS site, it would seem the problem w/ my graphics is the cause of a gp tuner I had on my pc that I had used previously to tweak my card.. Unfortunately it appears that I uninstalled it w/ out the program having reverting them back... So I've tried to restore to a previous date assuming it is file based but now can't get RGSCLauncher to work, jus stops w/ an error... sheesh,

To be honest, I think the chances that your game is corrupt is very slim indeed! Id you're a D/L copy or shop bought? If it's D/L then obviously there could have been a chance that it was corrupt while D/Ling, but you will be allowed to D/L it again at no charge if that's the case (well you SHOULD be allower. I know D2D will let you...)

I must admit, my copy is a D/L from Direct2Drive and I'm never going to do it again... It' so much quicker/easier to drive to the shops!

Ahh... you've posted before I finished my reply! :) Glad you've got it working! It's looking good too... I'll post some screens from mine when I get a chance! :)

Edited by Crafty1980

Huh ? I thought I posted my reply already wha ... (hmm must go to Rockstar support & report this error too) lol =oP

O well repost:

Ty for the advice Crafty, you're the first!

Goin abit in reverse now.. but to answer..

O no, its not condescending at all to suggest even what seems simple, sometimes its the simple things were forget! I did have all my drivers updated tho, ran into some problems here and there but ...

Sound is onboard realtek, its up to date and no problems, heck I've had more problems w/ SB cards I've had in the past .. Not to down them but I really began to dislike SB products cuz I had SO many problems w/ their devices ..

Yea I have AMD, never really considered using a cpu enhancement tool.. I did however, for the graphics card, RS's suggestion that it may have been at fault for glitchy graphics, possible but I dont think its the sole fault .. Thats been removed tho..

Believe it or not, I had checkt for Dx 10, mine was up to date, I checkt that in DxDiag

Well, I know that social club is what it says, a social club, I dont think its a bad thing to have a club to meet, have events/contests and well it is required for the clip/vid upload ... I do think however, it SHOULD be an option to turn off, stop the popups ( popup blocker must be disabled lol ) Ofcourse the warnings ingame, are abit of a nuisance too..

As for online play w/ pc & consoles, I wouldnt think you could since the hardware is different & the maybe data encryption is, I know the systems are virtually connected across servers so, hmm, who knows but I'm also suspecting problems w/ the security features in the pc version, w/ ppl out their cracking it for piration so either it may end up denying them or causing system/server crashes..

Pc online is also up to 32 players I believe. Frankly, it seems a fantasy ? to play online w/ as much processing of data it will take w/ all the added players and action, knowing its hard enough for our machines to play by ourselves "locally".. who knows, maybe ??

I preordered mine at the local GS, I think its better, it seems so easy to dld things "while you're in you're pajamas" but I really wanted a hard copy, I sometimes prefer it that way cuz of the limitations imposed often times for digital data, just depends on the data..

Coolies, can't wait ta see,

I'm now wanting a good controller, I play pc games but for this I need a controller I cannot stand moving the camera w/ the mouse, very awkward.. I have one but not sure if I can get it to work