how long until mods start popping up?

claude-5

I took a look at the files that were installed, some new stuff now stored in csv and xml files which is good to see, also familiar files from GTA3 series games such as carcols.dat, vehicles.ide and handling.dat... so it's definitely moddable.

Once tools such as IMGTool are updated, or new ones written by the talented members of the community, we'll start seeing stuff popping up. I guess people will start converting their GTA3 series stuff first before we start seeing scratch made mods.

I took a look at the files that were installed, some new stuff now stored in csv and xml files which is good to see, also familiar files from GTA3 series games such as carcols.dat, vehicles.ide and handling.dat... so it's definitely moddable.

Once tools such as IMGTool are updated, or new ones written by the talented members of the community, we'll start seeing stuff popping up. I guess people will start converting their GTA3 series stuff first before we start seeing scratch made mods.

Nice, they certainly are into using standard formats, at least to a certain extent. There are also IPL map files in the game, as far as I know...

This guy at GTAForums has already modded the Steam version. He created an application that keeps the GTA IV Launcher from checking whether or not the game has been modified before starting up (out-of-the-box, this function is implemented, and your game won't start if you make a change in the files). He said he modded the pistol to have shotgun properties, basically a simple weapon data file mod, but still cool. I tried his app out on the retail version and it didn't work, guessing that the Steam version is a bit different. Nothing major yet, but it's definitely promising, and exciting!

By the way, the topic is here: http://www.gtaforums.com/index.php?showtopic=379452

Edited by rappo

This guy at GTAForums has already modded the Steam version. He created an application that keeps the GTA IV Launcher from checking whether or not the game has been modified before starting up (out-of-the-box, this function is implemented, and your game won't start if you make a change in the files). He said he modded the pistol to have shotgun properties, basically a simple weapon data file mod, but still cool. I tried his app out on the retail version and it didn't work, guessing that the Steam version is a bit different. Nothing major yet, but it's definitely promising, and exciting!

By the way, the topic is here: http://www.gtaforums.com/index.php?showtopic=379452

So, meaning to say, they still retained the "no mods allowed" restriction ala GTASA?

haha R* you got burned, cant wait till mods now

No, they didn't.

They added the "ani-mod" code to cover their asses in the event of another "Hot Coffee" situation. Now they can honestly

they took reasonable steps to prevent it but someone broke their code & worked around it. Shame on all you little hackers.

:thumbsup:

If they didn't want the modding they would use compiled files like "Scarface", which to date I haven't seen any mods for.

By keeping the open directory structure, they are allowing modding, they're just not officially approving of it for legal

reasons.

Something I'm not sure anyone has thought about, as so many of us have been having varying difficulties w/ the game and RS is promising to address them as well as future enhancements, how then will these patches affect the modding of the game ? Like if they release new cool content, then we MIGHT have to consider, do we want mods or do we want the new content, in the event they are incompatible...

Another consideration, since we have to sign in to load/save our game (which who knows something may come along to fix that) they may, like Ps3, make it a requirement for signing in, like in this case, you will have to sign in then accept a patch before you can proceed, otherwise it logs you off .. Same thing w/ online play, wont let you on until you install the patch..

I seen it rappo, I been over there for awhile trying things but I've not had any luck w/ the retail .. I did manage to use um a GTAlauncher some guy had ddf7 or something ...

It patched an address, game started was doin ok, altho, I wondered if that damned securom started actin up .. well at first, the strangest thing, ppl were driving fast and erratically, swerving all in the road like they were all drunk or somethin ...

I tabbed out for a sec tho, soon as I did the game halted ...

O well, hope someone comes up w/ somethin to allow us disc holders to mod.

UA, there are ppl already modding cars, you can google or go to GTAForums, I hate to seem like I'm "advertising" but I mean I'm just not seein much goin on here.. I and lots of others are already altering handling.dat and carcols and alot of those other more clever guys/gals are modding the camera views, weapons, its gettin heated up over there, some really cool stuff.. So I hope Chris doesnt get upset that I'm jus lettin ppl know that ppl are doing lots of modding over there. Its not tryin to steal members or anything...

Here is the topic

http://www.gtaforums.com/index.php?showtop...80874&st=40

There are about 5 pages, this is one showing some cars w/ diff colors, engine sounds & stuff, there are some YT vids embedded of their creations, it cool, I really like the pistol RPG & the "Niko on steroids" he punches cars & the shoot off like rockets, kinda like they did in other games but this loox cooler punching them instead of jus touch it ... heh..

As for indepth car modding, I'm not sure its done yet..

That is extracting, adding textures/graphics and stuff like that but I'm sure it'll come along :P ..

Edited by Mehhh

When do car mods come?

Once someone creates a tool that can modify model/texture archives so we can replace them with our own. No telling how long that will take. I'm not a software programmer so I'm not sure what exactly they need to figure out before they can start working on writing such a tool.

And yet the model format is different which we will need importers exporters/Covnerters for PLUS the Damage to cars Might be poly deformation if so its going to have to change some ways people model Vehicles so they deform Correctly on damage.(Btw i am a 3d Artist)

Some have discussed that maybe imgtool may be useable, ofcourse reworked, I think there also used to be um txdworkshop ... the files are what now wtd or something ...

Cool Bob, guess we know who to come to for a model, heh .. I tried to use diff programs before but I jus dint have the patience, from blender to 3DSmax..