Is this shit overdone?

Chris

Look:

grunge-hollyn1c.jpg

Have I overdone the grunge there? A while ago I got all these different types of grunge brushes off DeviantArt, simply because I think they look pretty cool and I'm a fan of grunge, I know some of you hate it but yeah...

Anyway since I rarely use them, thought I'd make a new sig. Thought I could mix two of the brush sets but now I'm not sure it works. Dunno if I should have used a different colour to give it more contrast. So do you think it looks a bit shit? If so, how can I make it look decent using those sorts of brushes?

And if you don't like it, don't say it's good just because I'm admin - not like I'd ban you for saying it's crap... course I wouldn't do that.. :evil:

Seriously though. :)

Thanks.

Look:

grunge-hollyn1c.jpg

Have I overdone the grunge there? A while ago I got all these different types of grunge brushes off DeviantArt, simply because I think they look pretty cool and I'm a fan of grunge, I know some of you hate it but yeah...

Anyway since I rarely use them, thought I'd make a new sig. Thought I could mix two of the brush sets but now I'm not sure it works. Dunno if I should have used a different colour to give it more contrast. So do you think it looks a bit shit? If so, how can I make it look decent using those sorts of brushes?

And if you don't like it, don't say it's good just because I'm admin - not like I'd ban you for saying it's crap... course I wouldn't do that.. :evil:

Seriously though. :)

Thanks.

I like it, Chris. Although, it looks as though you've darkened it, either using filters, or intentionally.. either way, I think it will look better if you brighten it up a bit.

It actually reminds me of an old sig that Osiris (my old GTAF counterpart). I'll see if I can find it.

nice sig, but the girl kinda look creepy, the girl in your avatar is pretty much better though

Same chick mate. It's Holly Valance. Was in Aussie series Neighbours.

Wouldn't say its crap, Its very nice actually but that isn't really grunge. I always thought of grunge as dirty/rough/muddy sortof. That sig has a smooth abstract glowy texture. Try removing the light brush in the center and increase size of the girl render (Very pretty girl btw, pay no heed to noodey) to maybe somewhere around twice of what it is now. Nice simple effects for the text and border. Overall I'd tap it too.

Wow 2 posts while I was typing that, you quick bastards.

Edited by EvoLuTioN

I think it's all pretty good Chris, colour scheme is pretty good and the way everything else that's positioned seems good enough. Just the image Holly Valance, she looks a little scary at some point. Probably should the change the picture of her and get a more sexy one of her. Those grunge effects are good, but the colour is similar to the image which is sitting in the center, and it doesn't look to right.

Anyways I downloaded your sig and changed a few things:

grunge-hollyn1c.jpg

1227709418.png

- Basically, the things I changed in the sig was the picture of Holly. Removed the black BG on the pic and once I cut it up, I selected the image and used the Feather Tool ony. Used about 5px of that tool, and already it looks like an improvement on her. Then the grunge effect needed a different colour, so I just used a more darker and clearer blue colour and it worked. Then the middle part, well I kept the colour to what you set, then I used a Layer Mask and used the gradient (Black colour to transparent) and cleared off the end bits so they fade in, probably nothing to worry over, but it just looked like it was cut-out.

Oh and yes, I use the grunge effect alot as well for most of my sigs, and I hear a shitload of people saying it's shit and overdone, well you know what? Fuck those cunts Grunge is FTW. :awesome: J/k. Actually, grunge is only good when you place it on the right type images/backgrounds, it doesn't look good when you're using it on a horrible image/background. Oh and Evo, grunge can be dirty/messy/rough but it all depends on what type of brush pack you're using.

Hope this helps. :) - Oh and uploaded the .PSD as well.

Does everyone get this much feedback or is it just because I'm an admin? :P

Thanks for all your efforts. Firstly, yes you're right whoever said it's not grunge and is more abstract... it's just the brushes used for the background of the image had a 'grunge' label on them so I just used it too.

TM, that's improved it, and TOXIC I like that but don't think it really works for the sig, and Evo, that's nice too but I'm not a fan of the blurring of Holly :P

I'm gonna use a different pic of Holly and play around with the psd myself again, I'll re-upload later and you guys can improve upon it if you wish :)

IMO, you should switcharoo the girl and 'Chris', otherwise awesome. Actually, try and bring out the more orangey / sunset shades from the girl too (adjustment layers win), blue / orange are colour opposites, so it'll either look good or fail horribly. Probably the latter, but worth a try.

And just cause you're admin. :P

Both toxic and Chris had done very good but only if you would have used some gradient maps then it would have been even better !

:( Show some respect to someone's username :(

Tbh, I'm illiterate in PS, don't exactly/actually know what options are used for what...haven't even watched any Tutorials lol, don't even know what are gradient maps or that kinda stuff :P Maybe thats the cause TM's taking over lol.

BTW Chris, all of a sudden interest in graphics or its just that you've posted your work this time?

I've always had an interest in graphics, I'm just shit at it in real life (drawing) and on the computer I've just never bothered to properly learn how to use all the tools in photoshop... and my imagination isn't so good that I can come up with cool looking stuff.

I think I'm getting a lot better now though. I'm about to post another topic with a widescreen wallpaper I made from a shitty magazine scan :)

Best way is just to randomly click everyshit, and see what they do. To get adjustment layers, click the little black / white split circle at the bottom of the layers palette. After the layer's there, you xan edit it, so it's non-destructive. Like, you can do a hue / sat adjustment, and then edit it later. Like smart filters, except i haven't forgotten how to use them :/