GTA SA/VC Animation Tutorial!

Deji

I really don't want to post this... I like being one of the only animation modders... But since I think someone else could do better jobs at making mods...

Yes, there is finally an animation making tutorial for San Andreas and this also works in Vice City. Hardly anyone knows how to mod animations so you will be the first ones! Get it while it's hot! Soon everyone may know how to mod anims and you won't be as special then...

Links in sig 'GTA Modding Tutorials'

Edited by Deji
  • Like 2

Tip:

Don't make people sign up to your forum to view this, you'll only make them just ignore it after they see they have to sign up.

Then they are missing out and I don't have to share my animation knowledge with so many people. Those really want to do it and would sign up to a site to do it, are the ones that deserve it. If they "Can't be bothered" then they "Can't be bothered" to make good animations as this is a very tedious thing to do. It all works perfectly... I hate writing these tutorials so I write them for a price. And people have signed up before and have made good first mods ;)

just post it here lol. not that im personally interested, what benefit does somebody else gain from joining your forum. they join, they look at your guide then they never go back (probably)...

and what do you benefit from somebody signing up to your forum just to read a guide?

just post your guide here so people can read it. if you hate writing it...why the hell did you write it.

just post it here lol. not that im personally interested, what benefit does somebody else gain from joining your forum. they join, they look at your guide then they never go back (probably)...

and what do you benefit from somebody signing up to your forum just to read a guide?

just post your guide here so people can read it. if you hate writing it...why the hell did you write it.

The benifit I get: Site ranking and the chance of people staying (Which happens since I regularly put more exclusives on)

The benifit they get: The chance to get all the mods, support, tutorials and more just for one simple registration.

You don't even have to do the email confirmation. I disabled it for you guys to get lot's of good stuff easily.

This is how most sites work. They offer loads unique things just for signing up. We have alot of exclusive content there that you can only get if you sign up for the site and even more stuff is coming. With my site not being a proper domain and me not having money, I have to promote my site in a different way. ;) If it wasn't for that site, I would't have made the tutorial anyway...

It's simple:

Copy & Paste the TUT here or get the links removed. It's simple. You're basically advertising your website to get people to join it. And plus saying that's how most websites get people in is right, but do you really think they want to register? It wastes time when their could be another tutorial based on a site where they don't need to register. Plus, it might not even work for most people, even if it's been tested.

Have none of you figured out that I know how to put it on this forum? I just don't want to really. I'm not interested in giving it to any random nub that is gonna ask me a thousand questions on a site that I don't go on much. I like everything to be in an easy to access place.

Once you sign up your allowed to share the info anyway I guess... So why don't YOU copy and paste it onto this site. Just ensure you give credit to the original author. And as long as it's on this site, YOU can answer all the questions that get thrown at you. Don't expect me to just give handouts. Coz to be honest, I haven't got the time or desire to do so. Next you'll expect me to spend ages to make a game and give it away completely free too! It's quite literally the same thing. It takes time to make these tutorials for you guys when I have thousands of things to do and your stressing about clicking a few buttons and being registered on a site for free? I'm not gonna say your selfish as I am in a way, but don't moan about something I'm giving you for free... I've not once heard a "Thank you" for any of the mods, episodes and tutorials that I spend my life making for you guys. Maybe you should think about the chances of me having better things to do with my time...

If you really aren't convinced... You can ask me all the things I put up with here... Go on... -_-

Uh Deji, I'm sorry to say this but they're right.

As a mod in your site, I'm doing my job and please why don't you copy & paste the tutorial here? It's easy and don't worry about the post size, what interests is the content! ;)

PS: I said please!

Please explain why it is right... You don't give shop items away for free... I just don't get whats so hard with taking 2 minutes to give a little appreciation by registering for a site that they may like anyway. But fine... You can post it Spider-Vice coz I'm sick of this. I handle so many things and they can't handle a tiny registration form? I go through the stress of trying to fit everything into each day and loose out on sleep and they can't register for a site? I must be some fuckin god! :P

You do know that advertising is forbidden here but here it goes:

Hardly ANYONE knows how to make animations for San Andreas and it's sooo easy! I will not go into specific details of how to use 3ds MAX... That you have to figure out yourself because it'd make the tutorial too long and it's pretty easy to figure out how to use anyway...

You Will Need:

• GTA San Andreas or Vice City (ANY VERSION!)
  • An average PC (Mine runs perfectly with 256MB Video card and 512MB RAM)
  • 3ds MAX (9 Perferably) (This costs unless you can find some other way to get it :wub:)
  • Gmax (Yes, it works in Gmax but this tutorial is based on 3ds Max. Hopefully you already know how to use Gmax)
  • Kams DFF Script (You must have 3ds MAX!)
  • Kams IFP Script (Install after installing the DFF one)
  • Patience (Making animation can be annoying and tedious. You need to be able to spend as long as you can making the animations...)
  • Some animation making knowledge (You will need to know about frames and moving things around in 3D animation)

And most importantly common sense! If you aren't too good at animating in 3D then I suggest you download 'Endorphin' and practise the first two tutorials on the website. Endorphin is a fun tool but it is MUCH more complicated then 3ds MAX. The reason you practise on this is cause it has a nice video tutorial and gets you used to moving your characters bones around.

Or you can just download 3ds MAX and fiddle...

This tutorial is designed for San Andreas so if you have Vice City it may be confusing. Hopefully you can figure out what the VC versions of things are.

So, on with the tutorial. Hopefully by now you have everything installed and it's all ready... Before we start using the program we need to get a few files from GTA to mod. Because I like you especially for signing up to this site, I will even go through making the appropriate backups... :)

First locate your GTA installation folder and click the 'Anim' folder. Inside you will see ped.ifp and anim.IMG...

----------------------------------------

Sub Tutorial time! If you already know this you can skip...

An .ifp file contains animation files. Inside ped.ifp there are more .ifp files containing the actual animations. ped.ifp is the General animations. Don't be confused into thinking that they are only for peds!

An .img file is like a .zip file except for San Andreas. Although it can't be opened with winzip or winrar. The best program for opening these files is: IMG Tool 2.0 - If you open this particular .img file it'll contain more .ifp animation files!

----------------------------------------

Now copy these files and paste them in a backups folder. Then it's best to make another folder full of files to mod. Paste the files into that too and your done.

You will now need to get the player.dff bone structure. We use this one because it is the basic one. It'll work on carl perfectly and it'll work almost as well on other people. Go to your GTA directory and enter the 'Models' folder. Open gta3.img with IMG Tool 2.0. Click Edit > Find and type player.dff and tap enter. Right click the highlighted bit and click extract and choose a memorable place to put a copy of the player.dff file.

Now that you have your players bones and most of the animations we can open 3ds Max! It may take a while to load but be patient!

When it loads we first need to properly install Kams scripts into 3ds MAX...

Click MAXScrip > Run Script... Go to where you extracted Kams scripts and click 'GTA_IFP_IO.ms' - And done! We no longer need to do this as it will load on the Right side upon start. Just click 'IFP IO' under 'IFP Dump'

Now the hard part is done! Time for the more fun part...

After opening Kams script you have a new window open... Click 'Import DFF' on it and find your 'player.dff' that you extracted... Next click 'Load IFP' and locate your ped.ifp file that you copied.

Now you will see a yellow dot like thing in the Perspective view on the screen. As well as a long list of animation files on Kams IFP script window.

Let's get rid of the top, side and bottom views. We really don't need them that much. Press the button in the very bottom-right hand corner of the program. The perspective view will now be much bigger and easier to work with. Scroll up to zoom up to what looked like a dot. Yes! It's a body!

Now click and drag over the body to select all of his bones so that we aren't just applying an animation on a few of them... The bones will turn white if selected.

In the Kams IFP IO Script box where you see abseil, scroll down to WEAPON_crouch and click 'Apply Animation'. You will now see the guy crouching. If you click play in the bottom corner you will see the animation play. He will breath in and out as he is crouched.

We are going to edit this animation to do something simple... Why? Because this is just practise and this animation is easy to activate...

IF you wanted to select another animation after activating one you have to select all of the guy and click 'R' in the window. You can then choose another animation to apply.

There is no easy way to tell you what to do now... You can select a section of the character and choose between the move or rotate tool to move the body parts to your will.

I made a simple difference of putting the guys hand in the air...

There are keyframe options at the bottom of the program to do each part of the animation. As I said, it'll take too long to go into these and this part is pretty easy to work out. There are also some tutorials in 3ds Max. Not for editing SA but it'll teach you how to move the guy more...

After you've finished you select all of the character, choose which animation to overwrite (WEAPON_crouch) and click 'Replace' - It'll load for about half a second and then your done!

That's it! The file you imported has been edited with the new animation. Copy the ped.ifp file you edited to your SA/Anims folder and overwrite the exsisting. Load San Andreas and crouch.... Whalla! Your animation should be there!

Now replace with your backup. You don't really want a test animation in SA all the time do you?

To edit even more .ifp files, open that anim.img i talked about and extract one of the animation classes somewhere. Then open that in 3ds MAX.

One final thing... The things inside the cuts.img folder are for cutscenes. Don't bother messing with them!