Is God Real

Butters!

• Replies 306
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quote from yesterdays newspaper on the relation between BBT and evolution.

Father Larry Pereira, writer and parish priest of Mount Carmel Church, Bandra, and Christians believe in the Book of Genesis that explains that the universe and mankind was created in six days.

He said, “We do not take the six days literally today. Mainline churches now do not rule out evolution. We have integrated the scientific theories into our beliefs, whether it is Big Bang or evolution. So we accept that if even the universe was created by the Big Bang, we believe that God was the creator.”

I'm a catholic and I never ruled out Evolution. It doesn't really matter to me how I was created, for all I care this world can be like the matrix and you all can be computer generated bots or something messing with my brain.

It would disprove a part of it, to a point. I mean. The Bible says God created Earth in 6 days (rested on the 7th). It's possible I suppose that he could have DONE the whole Big Bang Theory, but then that's where the evolutionists and christians separate.

...What part is disproven by evolution?

If someone lies once, what stops them from lieing again? As in, if one thing is wrong (Bible) then what stops everything from being actual fact from fiction?

What's wrong about the bible?

Ofcourse all my thinking is theoretical and I don't really care for the topic, I'm just kinda bored and figured I'd throw something in. Although I'd like to know (genuinely) why it wouldn't prove religion (We're talking from Christianity... all of them are different) wrong.

I can't answer that unless you tell me which part of evolution you think disproves religion, christianity in particular. There are many different things that people have said and there are many different answers. So I can't base my response just off of the fact you feel that evolution disproves religion.

Bible says God created the Heavens and the Earth in a week. (Genesis 1:1-2:3)

# First day: God creates light ("Let there be light!") - the first divine command. The light is divided from the darkness, and "day" and "night" are named.

# Second day: God creates a firmament ("Let a firmament be...!") - the second command - to divide the waters above from the waters below. The firmament is named "heavens".

# Third day: God commands the waters below to be gathered together in one place, and dry land to appear (the third command). "Earth" and "sea" are named. God commands the earth to bring forth grass, plants, and fruit-bearing trees (the fourth command).

# Fourth day: God creates lights in the firmament (the fifth command) to separate light from darkness and to mark days, seasons and years. Two great lights are made (most likely the Sun and Moon, but not named), and the stars.

# Fifth day: God commands the sea to "teem with living creatures", and birds to fly across the heavens (sixth command); He creates birds and sea creatures, and commands them to be fruitful and multiply.

# Sixth day: God commands the land to bring forth living creatures (seventh command); He makes wild beasts, livestock and reptiles. He then creates Man and Woman in His "image" and "likeness" (eighth command). They are told to "be fruitful, and multiply, and fill the earth, and subdue it." Humans and animals are given plants to eat. The totality of creation is described by God as "very good."

Evolution says humans (even organisms) didn't come along until much longer after the Earth was formed. And even then humans didn't come until millions of years later after other animals.

Bah, Another Hack!

It turns out that the LHC has also received some additional unwanted attention: One of the computers associated with the CMS Experiment was hacked by what appears to be a Greek hacker group. The group altered a page on the public CMS site. The page was in Greek, had the headline "GST: Greek Security Team" and the page also said, "We are 2600 - dont mess with us. (sic)" The page, cmsmon.cern.ch, is not currently available.

"Scientists working at Cern, the organisation that runs the vast smasher, were worried about what the hackers could do because they were 'one step away' from the computer control system of one of the huge detectors of the machine, a vast magnet that weighs 12,500 tons, measuring around 21 metres in length and 15 metres wide/high.

If they had hacked into a second computer network, they could have turned off parts of the vast detector and, said the insider, it is hard enough to make these things work if no one is messing with it'."

As far as the CMS researchers can tell, only "one file was damaged" and only about "half a dozen files [were] uploaded." The current assumption is that the purpose of the attack was just to make "the point that CMS was hackable."

Sauce!
Identifying themselves as Greek Security Team, they mocked at the technology and called the physicists as “a bunch of school kids.”

The hackers, however, despite flashing the message “don’t mess with us”, also reiterated that they have no intention to disrupt the ongoing experiment.

They also posted a cheeky message for the scientists that said: "We’re pulling your pants down because we don't want to see you running around naked looking to hide yourselves when the panic comes."

Sauce!

Bible says God created the Heavens and the Earth in a week. (Genesis 1:1-2:3)
# First day: God creates light ("Let there be light!") - the first divine command. The light is divided from the darkness, and "day" and "night" are named.

# Second day: God creates a firmament ("Let a firmament be...!") - the second command - to divide the waters above from the waters below. The firmament is named "heavens".

# Third day: God commands the waters below to be gathered together in one place, and dry land to appear (the third command). "Earth" and "sea" are named. God commands the earth to bring forth grass, plants, and fruit-bearing trees (the fourth command).

# Fourth day: God creates lights in the firmament (the fifth command) to separate light from darkness and to mark days, seasons and years. Two great lights are made (most likely the Sun and Moon, but not named), and the stars.

# Fifth day: God commands the sea to "teem with living creatures", and birds to fly across the heavens (sixth command); He creates birds and sea creatures, and commands them to be fruitful and multiply.

# Sixth day: God commands the land to bring forth living creatures (seventh command); He makes wild beasts, livestock and reptiles. He then creates Man and Woman in His "image" and "likeness" (eighth command). They are told to "be fruitful, and multiply, and fill the earth, and subdue it." Humans and animals are given plants to eat. The totality of creation is described by God as "very good."

Evolution says humans (even organisms) didn't come along until much longer after the Earth was formed. And even then humans didn't come until millions of years later after other animals.

Well there are loads of things in the bible that are metaphors. Who said that these 7 days were Earth days? We could have been organisms when God created us and then we could have evolved.

Then if you noticed, pretty much everything that was mentioned in what you posted was all basically in the correct order.

So far this thing caused 1,000 people or so to commit suicide and also caused a group to act against them in a severe way...I'm not seeing an upside to this whole thing yet.

hmm alot of arguments with the whole god vs science thing...im gonna stay out of that.

although yeah i do wonder, like llama said, ironic that to find out how we were created or whatever it will kill us...freaky :P

well nothing bad has happened...

the first post, that map looks liek you googled a map and then put it in paint and drew some circles...honestly.

Well there are loads of things in the bible that are metaphors. Who said that these 7 days were Earth days? We could have been organisms when God created us and then we could have evolved.

Then if you noticed, pretty much everything that was mentioned in what you posted was all basically in the correct order.

So far this thing caused 1,000 people or so to commit suicide and also caused a group to act against them in a severe way...I'm not seeing an upside to this whole thing yet.

How do you know they are metaphors? Were YOU there when the Bible was written? How do you know they were intended to be metaphors or the literal word of God?

And as I said, if people aren't mature enough to deal with the situation, who cares if they die? They had it coming anyway.

How do you know they are metaphors? Were YOU there when the Bible was written? How do you know they were intended to be metaphors or the literal word of God?

And as I said, if people aren't mature enough to deal with the situation, who cares if they die? They had it coming anyway.

To you the bible is wrong...so why would you care if it was to be looked at literally or metaphorically?

Well I'm tired of going off topic so PM me if you want....unless you want the topic to continue to go off topic then please continue to talk about this.

To you the bible is wrong...so why would you care if it was to be looked at literally or metaphorically?

Was it not part of the discussion? It doesn't really matter belief or not.. it's the fact of being looked at. It's faintly ontopic, I mean. The whole Hadron Collider is about finding about our origin.

Anyways, the thing MIGHT not even work. Like the people in that lab in Greenwich or something trying to get to absolute 0. They say once they reach it, everything it touching will freeze. Which is pretty crazy... I don't think they'll reach their goal. But that's science.

Anyways, the thing MIGHT not even work. Like the people in that lab in Greenwich or something trying to get to absolute 0. They say once they reach it, everything it touching will freeze. Which is pretty crazy... I don't think they'll reach their goal. But that's science.

It's gonna be even harder to get it to work with hackers constantly trying to stop them.

That's NOT what I asked you and it's irrelevant; if you can't answer the question then don't, but don't change the subject randomly.

Religion is a bunch of unanswerable questions supported by faith and circular logic. God is an infallible concept, but unlike all other infallible concepts He is taken seriously! I don't see what you guys are arguing about, there's no way to prove or disprove such things, it's all just personal taste. If you need an opiate like religion to give your life some meaning, then that's fine with me - but I don't buy into it.

As for whether or not the "six days of creation" are "Earth days" - obviously they aren't. It has been proven that the Earth is billions of years old and animals have been roaming the planet long before us.

Edited by rappo

That's NOT what I asked you and it's irrelevant; if you can't answer the question then don't, but don't change the subject randomly.

Woo, calm down. If you couldn't tell...what I said isn't really an answer to your question. Besides that...how could you ask me what YOU think about the bible???...doesn't make any sense.

There are a lot of Christians that believe that a majority of the stories in the bible are metaphors and others are literal. I find the one you posted to be semi metaphoric and literal.

Update September 23, 2008 - Large Hadron Collider Damage

More Serious and Won't Re-start Until Spring 2009.

CERN insiders are saying that “a significant number of collider magnets have been damaged in first test on September 10, 2008 - possibly more are damaged than number of spare back-up magnets.” So, officially now the LHC won't fire another proton beam again until spring of 2009.

So I guess those people committed suicide a little early.

Edited by Harwood Butcher

I found this one site that said the following facts about the Hadron Collider.

Here are some quick facts:

- 20-year work-in-progress

- A team of 7,000 physicists from more than 80 nations

- 27 kilometers in circumference, 175 meters underground

- facilitating head-on collision of protons, traveling very near the speed-of-light

- each tunnel is big enough to run a train through it.

- temperatures generated: more than 1000,000 times hotter than the sun's core

- superconducting magnets are cooled to a temperature colder than in deep space

Bold: I find this particular fact hard to believe. If we were able to produce this much heat, let alone the amount of heat the Sun's core makes, we wouldn't have the energy crisis we're currently going through.

I'm not sure, but isn't there more energy coming from the Sun each second than the amount of energy humans have made/used...EVER.