MTU settings?

DemonDelight

Ok, im a big N00B with this one, so help me out.

Im at my freinds house, trying to help him out with this.

We can use Xbox Live perfectly with his old modem, but it gets tiring taking the modem up and down the stairs all the time to swap it between the pc and the 360. Im thinking, why not just use one of the other two of the same Motorola cable modems that are kicking around? it turns out, they wont work on the 360 because the MTU test failed.

So im wondering if theres some way to change the settings of the other two modems to make them work on the pc/360.

Using winxp.

Oh and by the way, if it sounds like i have no clue what the hell im talking about, its because i dont. :mellow:

MTU test?

if they are old modems, then its likely they've been disabled or something like that...the MAC address is not registered with the ISP or something along those lines.

uhh, i have a really cool idea. i know your gonna say its dumb. buy a 802.11 wireless G router.

$42

oh and since u hav 360, you need a $100 extra wireless adaptor. or you could put the router upstairs, since it has ethernet ports, then take the xbox upstairs as well, and plug it in. or go the other way and get a wireless PCI card for the pc ($20). then it costs u $62 instead of $162 or whatever, since you have the xbox using wired and pc using wireless. dont forget to set up WPA security too :)

then you plug the cable modem into the wireless router, and you dont need to take the modem back and forward.

yea we've been thinking about getting a wireless router, thing is, theres a cable connection already downstairs, so it would be alot cheaper to just set up an extra modem rather than buying a wireless router. Also, we don't even use a router, we just run the ethernet cord strait from the modem to the pc/360.

So if we want to set up one of the old modems, would we have to go to the the isp? And if so, will it cost anything?

if you get the router i mentioned, that has wired ports too. so put that downstairs, plugged into the cable modem, and put a PCI wireless card in the PC. that way you pay like $30 for a wireless card for PC rather than 100+ for 360

both are linked in my first post on this topic.

Edited by WRX22B1998

We could, the thing is though, the pc sucks bad, its only used for going on the internet every once in a while. If we get the wireles thing for the 360 though, it will let us bring it elsewhere.

it doesnt matter lol as long as it has a PCI slot (which it should unless its back in the days of ISA - like pre 1995)

but you need to plug the 360 into a TV anyways...

well your choice in the end, i was just saying that wireless for pc is like $30 instead of $100 for xbox