Can my PC run GTA IV?

Chris

I'm telling you don't get an envidya card, but if you like defective parts and higher prices, by all means.

Explain.

Defective parts? Yeah, they've made that packaging suck, but that doesn't really matter for desktops. And they aren't even all that expensive. Just slightly more, but then you've got PhysX and nVidia's probably going to push it to their TWIMTBP program.

Though there is no denying that the HD4850 is a great card. If you go for higher-end stuff, you'll be at a GTX270. Just slightly more than HD4870, but it is faster and got PhysX. Going to be announced this week, probably.

But most bang-for-buck comes from DAAMIT, true. X2 is crap though. Too expensive, too slow.. Doesn't justify buying that over 2x 4870. Unless you've got a low end board (in which case you shouldn't be having that card in the first place), or a SLI board, but then SLI 260 would be better just slightly more expensive.

Again, you didn't pay attention. I never accused you of not helping him. I simply questioned why both of you acted as if he was questioning his mother board.

More like notifying him that his mobo isn't really going to make anything faster (yeah, ok, benchmarks. But for real, not really), cause I had the feeling he thought it would. Just enables you to have more bandwidth for your hardware and stuff. Getting up to date or more energy effecient. Those type of things.

No, it's just that there are sometimes quirks when replacing critical hardware. If it worries you, make a partition and put all your things on it, then just format the partition Windows is on, but this only works if you have a large enough hard drive.

Can you describe "Quirks"

This is too general for google to be useful.

Quirks.... Kinda like things that go wrong / end up not working right. Windows wasn't designed for major hardware to be replaced now and then, it's ideally installed on a fresh system. Therefore, things are bound to go wrong when you do replace stuff like CPU's.

The advice now is, make a backup of everything you need, wipe your HDD, and reinstall windows once you install your new CPU.

I know what quirks are, I was talking about more of examples, and are they likely to happen

I don't even have the means to back things up, I could start another partition like Chris previously said, but I don't have any flash drives or external harddrives.

and even after that, I don't have the means to reinstall windows, because I sorta dont have an XP CD anymore.

And that is likely to happen? I'm trying to keep from having to do all this backing up and installing on a fresh system.

And guys, I'm not just posting here, when you guys give me new info, I go and google it up, but it's just about people talking about their CPU failures, so I just have to come back here to get layman's terms from you guys. :I

We could do this in PMs if I am just flooding this topic with stupid questions

my comps running on-

3.2 Pentium 4(overclockd, actual processor is 2.8)

nVidia geforce 6200 256mb vga

1gb of RAM....

i knw da specs are realy low but i hav been able to play COD4 in a decent fps in 1024x768 and wit sum graphic stuff on..

and i played crysis also..tho dat ting is kinda laggy coz i hav AA to 2x

i play GRID, and all dose new games witout much probs...

wil i be able to play dis ???? <_<

my comps running on-

3.2 Pentium 4(overclockd, actual processor is 2.8)

nVidia geforce 6200 256mb vga

1gb of RAM....

i knw da specs are realy low but i hav been able to play COD4 in a decent fps in 1024x768 and wit sum graphic stuff on..

and i played crysis also..tho dat ting is kinda laggy coz i hav AA to 2x

i play GRID, and all dose new games witout much probs...

wil i be able to play dis ???? <_<

hmm i dunno. the p4 is ok, but...6200 isnt exactly great. i'd upgrade your ram too.

i hope you have a pci-e graphics, otherwise you'd probably be better off buying a new mobo that has pci-e.

agp...doesnt really support much high end cards.

so i cant really say u'd be able to run gta4.

ram, well, dont they make 1gb modules?

yeah i dunno, i guess you could upgrade / new pc.

or just get it on a console which might end up being cheaper.

if u wanted to play on pc, you'd prob need to get a new mobo that supports pci-e. then buy new ram and new video card. then i think you will be able to run gta4.

Edited by WRX22B1998

The new processor is installed and working so far, it's at a chilly 28C and my PC is working fine.

EDIT:

Silly me, forgot completely about drivers. Installed new ones and now works fine.

By the way, I didn't reinstall on a fresh system and it works just like the other CPU, except it is faster, I can tell now that new drivers are installed.

Edited by Shortbus

agp...doesnt really support much high end cards.

so i cant really say u'd be able to run gta4.

ram, well, dont they make 1gb modules?

yeah i dunno, i guess you could upgrade / new pc.

or just get it on a console which might end up being cheaper.

if u wanted to play on pc, you'd prob need to get a new mobo that supports pci-e. then buy new ram and new video card. then i think you will be able to run gta4.

wel...i ws jst wondering whethr gta4 myt wrk on mine cz crysis workd ok..nt a bad framerate...

only d last mission ws kinda laggy....bt anywy...since im gettin a new one.. i dnt knw wat to buy....

any suggestion?

i was chekin out sumtin lyk dis...pls tel tel whethr gta4 myt work

2.8 core 2 duo(intel i tink)

4 gb ddr2 RAM

nvidia 8400 or 8600 gt 512 mb

250 gb hdd

oh yea...and da mainboard is said to support quadcore processers also....

im gettin all dis 4..umm in US dollars..

i tink its $400

is it worth? and wil it be able to play gta4?

im gettin dis assembled...dat is im pikin da parts so i hav a choice..

so i hav noo idea wat to buy

My games:

Team Fortress 2

Counter Strike Source

Call of Duty 4

Day of Defeat: Source

HL2 through Ep2

And eventually:

Spore

GTA4

Left 4 Dead

Current setup:

3 GB DDR2-667 RAM

AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+ 2.6 GHz

ATI Radeon X1300/X1500 Series PRO 256MB PCI Express x16

149 GB Harddrive

Dual monitors, 15 in. LCD / 17 in. CRT

@ 1024x768 Res

I've updated my CPU and RAM so far. Just need a new GPU + PSU, but the PSU is already decided ( http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16817103941 )

that sounds pretty good

i'd get a 8800gt or 8800gts though, 8600gt might be fast enough for like 800x600 or something, get a 8800 and you will definitely be able to play with good settings.

my 6200 has dese specs.....the core clock is kinda gud...i can overclock da clock bt wen u go over da limit it stil works bt it heats lyk hell and my comp shuts down...so it can play gta4 for bout a 800x600 res?..coz i dnt wanna get a new comp jst bcoz of a game..and im realy, REALY short on cash..bt comparing wit da 8800 gt

GPU/VPU: NVIDIA GeForce 6200...

RAMDAC: Dual 400 MHz

Vertices per Second: 281 Million

Additional Features: DirectX 9

OpenGL 2.0

Vista Certified

Maximum Resolution: 1600 x 1200 Max Digital

2048 x 1536 @ 85Hz (Analog)

Video Memory: 256MB

Memory Type: DDR2

Core Clock: 350 MHz

Memory Clock: 400 MHz

Interface Type: AGP

Interface Speed: 8X

Connector(s): DVI

TV/S-Video

VGA (15-Pin D-Sub)

GPU/VPU: NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT

RAMDAC: Dual 400 MHz

Fill Rate per Second: 33.6 Billion pixels

Additional Features: Vista Ready

HDCP Enabled

HDTV Ready

SLI Ready

OpenGL 2.0

DirectX 10

PCI Express 2.0

Maximum Resolution: 2560 x 1600 (Digital)

Video Memory: 512MB

Memory Type: DDR3

Core Clock: 600 MHz

Memory Interface: 256-bit

Memory Clock: 2000 MHz

Memory Bandwidth: 57.6GB/sec.

Interface Type: PCI Express 2.0

Interface Speed: x16

Connector(s): Dual DVI (Dual Link)

HDTV/S-Video

Multiple Monitors Support: Yes

Edited by anonymous1234