#101 Shortbus

Shortbus

retraded

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 327 posts
  • United States 

Posted 17 August 2008 - 11:21 PM

I've HAD it on my laptop, it's fucking awful.

But this isn't a vista fight, sorry I even brought it up.

Is DX10 only supported on vista, and Crysis requires DX10?
Posted Image

#102 chris82

chris82

Modding King

• Elite Members
  • 2,917 posts

Posted 17 August 2008 - 11:33 PM

Crysis supports DX10 doesn't require it.

About Vista, yes it will be shit if you have less than 2GB of RAM. That or more and it's amazing. End of story.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Summary of TGTAP
This signature does not display correctly on Internet Explorer 6 or lower.

#103 claude-5

claude-5

UK have the $ on their keyboard, so why dont US have the £

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 887 posts

Posted 17 August 2008 - 11:36 PM

About Vista, yes it will be shit if you have less than 2GB of RAM. That or more and it's amazing. End of story.

my friend runs Vista on 512 RAM, does brilliant

Edited by claude-5, 17 August 2008 - 11:37 PM.

Posted Image

TOXIC worked on this sig, and im greatful :D

#104 Righty

Righty

*lurks*

• Elite Members
  • 1,962 posts
  • United States 

Posted 18 August 2008 - 12:48 AM

I agree with chris. I run vista on one of my laptops and its great. Not a lot of problems.

I'm tempted to try the gaming performance with it.

#105 Charger

Charger

Right-Hand Man

• Members
  • 971 posts

Posted 19 August 2008 - 03:05 AM

I'm gonna need to upgrade the Video Card that's for sure. How much does it cost to Upgrade?

I currently have this:

NVIDIA GeForce 6150 SE Graphics with TurboCache with 128MB

Also should I keep my Processor?

AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4400+ 2.30 GHz

Is that fine?

I'll be upgrading my Ram to 4GB soon. I currently have 2GB.

Edited by Charger, 19 August 2008 - 03:06 AM.

#106 chris82

chris82

Modding King

• Elite Members
  • 2,917 posts

Posted 19 August 2008 - 03:39 AM

It depends on what kind of graphics card you want to buy. Also make sure your motherboard has the correct type of slot...today graphics cards are made using the PCI-express x16 slot.

4850 is $150-$200 USD depending on where you buy it and who the reseller is.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Summary of TGTAP
This signature does not display correctly on Internet Explorer 6 or lower.

#107 DeAtH

DeAtH

Bag Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 385 posts
  • Estonia 

Posted 19 August 2008 - 12:40 PM

4850 is 200-230$ here.

But about Vista, I think its kinda bad too.
I have tried it some times but I just didn't like it.

#108 GTA Don

GTA Don

It was a good day.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,605 posts
  •    England 

Posted 19 August 2008 - 07:54 PM

my friend runs Vista on 512 RAM, does brilliant

Are you sure you're not talking about Home Basic? I wouldn't know whether to laugh or cry if I saw a PC running Vista Home Premium/Business/Ultimate etc. with only 512MB RAM.

I'm gonna need to upgrade the Video Card that's for sure. How much does it cost to Upgrade?

I currently have this:

Is that fine?

You'll definitely need to upgrade your video card, I think you could run SA at high/very high with AA at 1 smoothly on that. Won't be much for IV though. Also, if you're getting 4GB RAM, it would be good to get a 64-bit OS. And a 64-bit CPU. You might wanna upgrade your CPU, not important.

Ermm...

#109 claude-5

claude-5

UK have the $ on their keyboard, so why dont US have the £

• Members
  • 887 posts

Posted 19 August 2008 - 08:13 PM

Are you sure you're not talking about Home Basic? I wouldn't know whether to laugh or cry if I saw a PC running Vista Home Premium/Business/Ultimate etc. with only 512MB RAM.

i dunno, what vista it is, but it runs just fine on 512 RAM ill ask him when i next see him

Posted Image

TOXIC worked on this sig, and im greatful :D

#110 WRX22B1998

WRX22B1998

like a Boss

• Elite Members
  • 2,592 posts

Posted 20 August 2008 - 04:57 AM

I currently have this:

Is that fine?

yeah unless u get 64bit vista or xp pro x64 , you will only be able to use 3.25gb

#111 PlayerX

PlayerX

Shoplifter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  • Israel 

Posted 20 August 2008 - 09:08 AM

i am sure of it, my PC runs Assassins Creed at high setting (DX9) and it runs really good

PC :
Intel Core2Duo E4600 2.4Ghz 64Bit (if 64Bit matters..)
Nvidia 8800GTS
2GB DDR2 Memory (upgrading to 8GB DDR3 soon)

oh yeah, about the vista thing, are you sure IV will come to DX10? i dont think so much..

Edited by PlayerX, 20 August 2008 - 09:11 AM.

#112 GTA Don

GTA Don

It was a good day.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,605 posts
  •    England 

Posted 20 August 2008 - 09:33 AM

You really wouldn't see the difference between 4GB and 8GB if you upgraded. 8GB is for people who have more money than sense. It would be crazy to get anything more than 4G (well, 4g is kinda crazy) but trust me, you don't need it. You could save that money to buy an SLI/Crossfire mobo and run dual GFX cards on it. IV won't require DX10, it will probably just support it, like Crysis.

Ermm...

#113 PlayerX

PlayerX

Shoplifter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  • Israel 

Posted 20 August 2008 - 10:44 AM

i dont need Dual GFX on my PC.. might be saving money for a new motherboard since my intel motherboard sucks.. at least i had a PCIe on it so i could install my GPU on it..

btw, you think my PC will be able to run IV? (on good setting)

Edited by PlayerX, 20 August 2008 - 11:05 AM.

#114 MrLlamaLlama

MrLlamaLlama

Graphic Designer.

• Super Mods
  • 4,819 posts

Posted 20 August 2008 - 12:51 PM

You'll be fine runni git on the same settings as you do Assassin's (why oh why did you buy it on PC? :P)

Assassin's was a gorgeous game, don't think GTAIV looks graphically better than it, to be honest, who knows, maybe you'll get very high / ultra settings?

Posted Image

CoolerMaster HAFX Tower Case | XFX 850w Black Edition PSU | Asus CrossHair IV Formula Motherboard | AMD Phenom II x6 3.4 @ 3.7 Ghz + ThermalTake Frio HS/F | 8Gb Corsair Dominator GT | Nvidia/EVGA GTX470 1280Mb | 64GB Crucial RealSSD (os) | 2x 1TbSamsung Spinpoint F1

Need a quick GTA Fact Fix? - Grand Theft Wiki it!

#115 PlayerX

PlayerX

Shoplifter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  • Israel 

Posted 20 August 2008 - 02:24 PM

i run assassins creed on highest setting and a resulotion of 1024x768 at 75 Hz.. upgrading to 4GB DDR3 is quite well.. and i dont think i should upgrade for vista with my current PC (unless getting a new processor also, or overclocking it by buying a new motherboard.)

oh, and do you think IV will have better graphics? at the pool (not the ones you jump into it and its full of water!) i saw that they prefer something else.. still better replay will be good. since we wont have to buy software such as Fraps, GameCam etc..

#116 Tango

Tango

Vandal

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
  • United States 

Posted 20 August 2008 - 04:59 PM

So anything socket Am2 will fit into my processor slot?

Sorry to repeatedly post, I'm pretty much a nub in hardware.

EDIT: I'm also looking for GTA4 to run well, it doesn't have to be maxed out, but I'd like it to run well with few FPS problems.

EDIT2: http://www.newegg.co...N82E16819103211
?

Ya better start saving cash now! ;)
Posted Image

#117 Spaz The Great

Spaz The Great

Numba' one in the hood, G!

• Elite Members
  • 9,926 posts

Posted 21 August 2008 - 02:36 AM

You cant compare Crysis to everything, it requires vista, and if you ask me, vista was a big flop. I don't even capitalize it when I type it anymore.

1- Llama is right. It just gives you better graphics (DX10 mode) under Vista.
2- Chris82's point
3- I'm quite sure you haven't even used Vista. I have bought it. Yes, I didn't just get it, I bought it. And I wouldn't go back to XP, ever. The overall experience is better and I find it a very pleasant OS to use. Try it yourself, one day.

Somehow it's 'cool' to hate Vista.. bunch of stereotypes.

Stereotypes? I'm tired of throwing out my argument against Vista, but I HAVE used it, multiple times. Confusing to use((especially after using Windows for years)), annoying in just about every aspect, and slow as hell. My mom's PC has it. It came with 512mb of RAM((WTF????))... We upgraded it half a gig of RAM at a time until 2 GBs..... No difference noted at all.....

I'd love to upgrade my PC, but I can't afford it right now. As such, I probably won't be able to afford GTA IV, either....

Posted Image

There is no "freedom of speech" in forums, yes you can say what you want but in the end what the mods say gos. This is not a democracy.

lolz

#118 Sherman

Sherman

Capo

• Super Mods
  • 6,922 posts

Posted 21 August 2008 - 02:51 AM

I'm still confused on Charger's question, I've got the same CPU (AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4400+ 2.30 GHz) as him. Will this be fine or should I stick to xbox? I'm not buying another CPU. ><

#119 Charger

Charger

Right-Hand Man

• Members
  • 971 posts

Posted 21 August 2008 - 02:54 AM

I currently have this:

Is that fine?

yeah unless u get 64bit vista or xp pro x64 , you will only be able to use 3.25gb

And to have 64Bit I have to pay right? On my Hp Manual, it says the maximum ram is 4GB.

Btw whats the difference between 64bit and 32bit?

#120 Shortbus

Shortbus

retraded

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 327 posts
  • United States 

Posted 21 August 2008 - 03:13 AM

Hey guys, so should I order the AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+ (this thingie-majig: http://www.newegg.co...N82E16819103211 ) or not? I've only got til the 31st before newegg stops selling it.

All you tech dudes, answer me a couple questions, eh?

1. Will this thing fit into my motherboard (Refer to these, I think they'll tell you judging by my current one: http://i234.photobuc...ono666/CPUZ.jpg , http://s234.photobuc...t=processor.png )

2. Will I see any better performance in games such as: COD4, TF2, and Half Life 2 (and the episodes) (Also: not planning on getting uber results, hopefully those will come with a new GPU!)

Now! Important: My front side bus kinda standard and is an AMD Hammer, with a "real clock" of 200 MHz, and an "effective clock" of 200MHz, and a "Hyper Transport Clock" of 1000 MHz. I know this will effect the speed of my processor, but by much?

I am going to get a CPU before a GPU, because if I get a new GPU I'll have to get a new PSU aswell, that'll be around 250 bucks together, so I'm in the market for a CPU that is not mega expensive and doesn't suck big horse dongs.

Thanks!

Edited by Shortbus, 21 August 2008 - 03:14 AM.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users