Can my PC run GTA IV?

Chris

Another possible new computer is this:

Intel® Core™ i7 920 Quad Core Processor (2.66GHz,8MB Cache,4.8GT/s)

6GB 1333MHz Triple Channel DDR3 SDRAM - ( 3x2GB )

2x 1GB ATi 4670 Graphics accelerator (CrossFire for Ultimate Gaming)

Samsung 22x Dual Layer DVD Writer

Other GPU options are:

1GB ATI HD4670 Graphics accelerator

1GB NVIDIA GeForce with CUDA 9600GT

1GB NVIDIA GeForce with CUDA GTX280

Or at the very edge of my budget, 2GB ATi Radeon HD4870X2

what is your budget? I built my PC last month. My budget was modest, but by end of it, but sorta skipped by my budget by eh 200%... :hurrhurr:

If a 4870X2 is stretching your budget, why not go for a single 4870?

Do not get the 9600 or 4670. They are nowhere near as good as a GTX280 or 4870.

I would go GTX 260 Core 216. Cheaper, and as good as the 280.

If you have the money, buy 2 and go SLI. JUST MAKE DAMN SURE THAT YOU HAVE GOOD COOLING.

IV doesn't even support SLI. There's no need for it just now.

well, my gf just built herself a new pc, but im not gonna waste my time letting her borrow IV if it cant run soo:

AMD Phenom quad 2.5 GHz (overclocked)

12 GB RAM

1 TB HDD

ATI 3870 512 MB

Vista Home Basic SP1

Yep, that will easily run GTA IV

Regarding comments on SLI, I've also heard that even with games that do support SLI, the improvement over a single card is not huge. Added to the limited support, if you've got the cash to buy 2 GTX260s, you might as well just get a single GTX295.

Regarding comments on SLI, I've also heard that even with games that do support SLI, the improvement over a single card is not huge. Added to the limited support, if you've got the cash to buy 2 GTX260s, you might as well just get a single GTX295.

ok, thanks, my GTA IV dont run too good, and i dont understand why:

Intel Xeon quad 2.8 GHz

6 GB RAM

1GB Geforce 9800GT

Intel Xeon quad 2.8 GHz

6 GB RAM

1GB Geforce 9800GT

Your video card is not adequate. its a shame isn't it? I dont know much about Nvidia but the 9800 only has 100 stream processors. That is not good from my understanding. But beats my hd 3450 with only 32 stream processors. You probablyu could do well playing on 800 x 600 monitor resolution with everything on medium high settings. But if you want higher resolution your probably going to have to buy something with more near 300 stream processors. For me I'm looking at getting a HD 3870 or if it goes well a HD 4870. As I dont know much of Nvidia, if you a fan of using of those cards so I can't recommend anything from that.

Edited by Sabin

Intel Xeon quad 2.8 GHz

6 GB RAM

1GB Geforce 9800GT

Your video card is not adequate. its a shame isn't it? I dont know much about Nvidia but the 9800 only has 100 stream processors. That is not good from my understanding. But beats my hd 3450 with only 32 stream processors. You probablyu could do well playing on 800 x 600 monitor resolution with everything on medium high settings. But if you want higher resolution your probably going to have to buy something with more near 300 stream processors. For me I'm looking at getting a HD 3870 or if it goes well a HD 4870. As I dont know much of Nvidia, if you a fan of using of those cards so I can't recommend anything from that.

Actually, I think you'll find that his graphics card is absolutely fine! It probably has more to do with the fact that he's running a processor not designed for gaming, however I don't know much more than that about the Xeon line of processors, so I can't say for sure.

Can my pc run GTA IV on highest setings or at least on high settings?

Proccesor: AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 Dual Core 5000 2.5 Ghz

Motherboard: ASUS M3A78-EMH HDMI

Graphic Card: ASUS HD3450 256MB

Memory: 2048MB DDR2 800MHz

Harddrive: 320GB SATA

Everything is not bad, but your video card is going to let you down. You wont beable to play GTA 4 with that video card properly or at all.

Get a HD 3870 512MB or higher.

Lets say I have 512 MB will it work on highest settings?

The Technology for running it on MAX for everything hasn't been invented yet. With 512, and the other specs you listed above, it won't even run medium very well. The Processor barely even meets the minimum requirement.

Intel Xeon quad 2.8 GHz

6 GB RAM

1GB Geforce 9800GT

Actually, I think you'll find that his graphics card is absolutely fine! It probably has more to do with the fact that he's running a processor not designed for gaming, however I don't know much more than that about the Xeon line of processors, so I can't say for sure.

Though 1GB, the GPU is his weak link. I know very little about Xeon processors, so I'm not gonna say a lot, but the 9800GT is a mid-range card. Medium settings at best. A GTX 200 series with only 512MB would be a better card.

Edited by raybob95

Though 1GB, the GPU is his weak link. I know very little about Xeon processors, so I'm not gonna say a lot, but the 9800GT is a mid-range card. Medium settings at best. A GTX 200 series with only 512MB would be a better card.

The 9800GT is not mid-range. It's better than the 8600GT, which is the reccomended requirement and will run the game fine at medium settings. The 9800GT is about equivalent to my graphics card, an ATi 3850, which runs the game absolutely fine. The fact that he has 1gb of video memory is an added bonus.

The 9800GT is not mid-range. It's better than the 8600GT, which is the reccomended requirement and will run the game fine at medium settings. The 9800GT is about equivalent to my graphics card, an ATi 3850, which runs the game absolutely fine. The fact that he has 1gb of video memory is an added bonus.

Well, it really qualifies as mid-range for new cards, because there are many worse cards, (e.g. ATI Radeon 3450, NVIDIA GeForce 9400GT, etc.) and there are many better cards. (e.g., NVIDIA GTX-Series, NVIDIA 9800GTX, ATI 4 Series)

• 2 weeks later...

* Processor: Intel Core 2 Due E4500 @ 2.20GHz 2.20GHz L2 Cache 2MB

* Memory: 2 GB

* Video Card: 256MB NVIDIA 7300 (TurboCache 496MB)

I think you need Vista. Windows XP wont work becuase it doesn't have Direct X 10.

I think you need Vista. Windows XP wont work becuase it doesn't have Direct X 10.

Not true, XP works fine, but you probably won't get good performance due to that graphics card. Processor also isn't the best for IV.

Well, it really qualifies as mid-range for new cards, because there are many worse cards, (e.g. ATI Radeon 3450, NVIDIA GeForce 9400GT, etc.) and there are many better cards. (e.g., NVIDIA GTX-Series, NVIDIA 9800GTX, ATI 4 Series)

haha, after all your arguing bout my card being shitty, i got a phenom quad 2.7 GHzcpu instead of my xeon quad, now my game runs at 47-55 fps on most things highest, with the exception of texture quality, shadow density and vehicle density, so my card is more than good for this game, it was my cpu's fault :D

Edited by claude-5

haha, after all your arguing bout my card being shitty, i got a phenom quad 2.7 GHzcpu instead of my xeon quad, now my game runs at 47-55 fps on most things highest, with the exception of texture quality, shadow density and vehicle density, so my card is more than good for this game, it was my cpu's fault :D

Glad it worked out. Xeon is actually a Server Processor, (Meant for the Datacenter market in Web servers). You can see that here, https://www.theplanet.com/servers/ and notice its all Xeon processors. It really it meant for Workstations or Servers, not Gaming. So I'm not surprised.

Edited by Sabin

Not true, XP works fine, but you probably won't get good performance due to that graphics card. Processor also isn't the best for IV.

I'm running GTA IV on my Pc & works fine on Boath XP/Vista (on xp 496MB Video Meamory Avail/Vista 768MB):thumbsup: . until i instaled 1.0.2.0 Patch :pissed: .

fuckd up my textures (game runs beater, butt no hud, redar, subtitles, even i cant see instruction messages) :bashhead: . dose anyone else having same prob with 1.0.2.0 Patch?

It should run decently, the 4670 is a good mid-range card, the only real problem you might have is your CPU. This game is very CPU dependent so I suggest you upgrade to a 6000+ or get a new AM3 mobo and a Phenom II.

Thats not gonna be cheap then :P

I'm hoping my CPU will hold up, if not then I will upgrade probably. But is there anyone out there who has had experience with this CPU and GTA 4 and knows if it works or not?

Thanks

EDIT: The can you run it site just told me I don't meet the minimum specs :( butu if anyone knows any different please let me know :)

Edited by george9807

• 2 weeks later...

Any idea as to why one of my friend's PC is getting the requirements too low error with this?

Gigabyte-GA-EX58-UD3R

Intel Core i7 920 @ 2.66 GHz OC'd to 3.33GHz with a good aftermarket cooler

12GB Triple Channel DDR3 RAM @ 1600 Mhz

2TB SATA II HDD

300GB Velociraptor (This runs IV)

800W PSU

BD-ROM Drive

EVGA 896-P3-1258-A1 (GTX 260 Core 216 SuperSuper Clocked)

Vista Ultimate x64

Edited by raybob95

Any idea as to why one of my friend's PC is getting the requirements too low error with this?

Gigabyte-GA-EX58-UD3R

2TB SATA II HDD

800W PSU

BD-ROM Drive

Vista Ultimate x64

I say yes. The specs are obviously overkill, so it may run it on max...

Gigabyte-GA-EX58-UD3R

2TB SATA II HDD

800W PSU

BD-ROM Drive

Vista Ultimate x64

I say yes. The specs are obviously overkill, so it may run it on max...

No, I was asking why it WASN'T WORKING. Obviously yes, the specs are great, but he gets an RM320 Error.