GTA IV PC release confirmed!

rockstarrem

Don, ASUS mobos are fine or lets just say - well done... but I would go for Intel platform (used to be AMD positive guy, but no longer) AMD just can't catch up (sadly) with latest technology... on the other hand, AM2 socket was here for quite some time now... only god knows how much longer will it stay (meaning - scarce chance of future upgrade) and this also applies LGA775, it is also somewhere at the end of it's existence... For a keyboard I'd go for Razer :) G11 & G15 are huge!! And one last question - what OS are you planning to use? If it's 32-bit then there is no use of 4GB Ram maybe go for 2GB. It won't save you much money but you can always upgrade... And for Ram once more... check your usage of mem when using your comp. even when playing games it hardly reaches 1,5GB (and that's Crysis) so I believe there is no use for 4GB just yet.

I know telling you 2GB is enough when I - myself have 4 might look strange :)) but I use MS Server 2008 64-bit with no pagefile and got few VM's running on it... for general purpose and gaming 2 is more than enough...

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I find Intel too expensive. It's not like I'm an AMD fanboy, but AMD processors seem to be very stable for me. Although I may upgrade my rig to a Intel Nehalem or AMD Shanghai in the future. I'll be using Vista Home Premium 64-bit--32-bit is okay, but I just want to take full advantage of my RAM.

Don, ASUS mobos are fine or lets just say - well done... but I would go for Intel platform (used to be AMD positive guy, but no longer) AMD just can't catch up (sadly) with latest technology... on the other hand, AM2 socket was here for quite some time now... only god knows how much longer will it stay (meaning - scarce chance of future upgrade) and this also applies LGA775, it is also somewhere at the end of it's existence... For a keyboard I'd go for Razer :) G11 & G15 are huge!! And one last question - what OS are you planning to use? If it's 32-bit then there is no use of 4GB Ram maybe go for 2GB. It won't save you much money but you can always upgrade... And for Ram once more... check your usage of mem when using your comp. even when playing games it hardly reaches 1,5GB (and that's Crysis) so I believe there is no use for 4GB just yet.

Actually on DX10 with maximum sound and texture settings, Crysis can easily use 3GB of RAM if it's made available.

I hope it works on a P4 and a GeForce 6600.....

Does yours have pixel shader? My GeForce card on this old machine doesn't and it seems everything I look at in the stores these days requires pixel shader... <_< I either have to find a new card or stop buying new games. I know it's a conspiracy to sell new high end graphics cards. They could just have the option to shut some features down in the software. I really don't care what shade my pixels are!! :down:

JAB B)

Logitech g-15 = waste of money.

You get a screen that tells you server info? you don't need that shit. Stick with a g11, IMO.

I have to agree. I think the screen would be a waste.

I cant agree on the G11 though. It's fucking useless, the G keys are shit. If you want a good keyboard with similar features as the G keyboards(without the barely programmable waste-of-space G keys): http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/keyboard...71&cl=us,en

Thats a good keyboard if you can get used to the wave.

Trust me, you wont use the G keys for binding, or atleast in games you wont.

Edited by Shortbus

True that. I'd use it for Photoshop commands. :D That other keyboard is simply hideous, but i suppose it's nice to use, hand position and stuff.

Back on topic now. I was thinking y'day that there should be a special edition for us PC users. Suppose you could always buy the 360 version, sell off the game and buy the PC vers. with it. Only 25GBP on Play, which absolutely kicks ass. PC games are so much cheaper than consoles. I think developers feel sorry for us having to upgrade the whole time. :)

Uh, I've got a G15 and it's totally worth it.

I use the screen a lot, but not for games actually.. But I love the keyboard. Perfect keys and I really wouldn't want to do without that backlight. Also, the backlight is done very neat. Very good buy IMO (got it for 70 EUR).

Edit: Oh, that's the G15 V2 I'm talking about. G15 V1 looked rather ugly IMO...

V2:

g15_ctg.jpg

About the 4850: Though it is indeed a card with a midrange price point, it has performance exceeding that of the 8800 GTX and even slightly over that of the Ultra (not in all games, due to the mem interface of the G80 based cards, but usually they are).

Actually on DX10 with maximum sound and texture settings, Crysis can easily use 3GB of RAM if it's made available.

Crysis max usage is 'just' 1300 mb. Vista pre-loads lots of stuff to make everything run a bit faster when you need it. Mem usage will show to be 3GB, but you're probably just using 2 GB if you subtract all that preloaded stuff.

Warhead apparently uses 2100 though, so that's going to really be a memory hog. Glad I didn't go for 2 in the end...