European Championship

mutu

Mishom I think your seriously overhyping Russia, they had ONE good performance and they got through even then though, it was Arshavin who was playing superb, the Russia Centre-back was poor and was not makring Van Nistelrooy tight enough. Though thye still deserved to got through.

Russia ain't that great of a team, in the qualifying rounds they got beat by England 3-0 (and England are rubbish) which says a lot of about Russia. Russia though have a great tactical manager in Hiddink and he has made them play well and got them working together and play well. Holland on the other hand I think peaked too early in the tournament.

The fascinating thing about the Holland - Russia game was that both sides wanted to play counter-attack, as this didn;t happen it was a tense and nervy first half, in the second half though Russia scored and made things difficult for Holland who came all out attack and got the equaliser, however the Dutch attacked a lot more in ET and this is how Arshavin and Russia counter attacked and picked off the Dutch.

________________________________________________________________________________

Anyway for me I think Spain will beat Russia but it will be a tight game and I think it could go to ET and maybe penalties.

Germany v Turkey though is going to be dissapointing with Turkey suspensions and injuries, they've lost Nihat and have Arda and Tuncay Sanli suspended and 3 others. So I think Germany will win here although I am still not cinvinced with Germany's defense, it looks suspect and I think it can be exposed against good teams such as Croatia showed.

For me the final will be though Germany v Spain.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Jace: I thought Russia played pretty good then. Sure, they started bad in their first game but then I think they got the job done with Greece, and then with Sweden as well (who was also heavily favored, right?). And yeah, I saw all of both Russia's and the Netherlands' group matches. I actually thought Russia had the tougher group too, both Italy and France played like total shit IMO (which is funny because at first glance the Dutch's group seemed like it'd be ridiculously tough to advance in).

But you said it yourself, when it mattered Holland failed. It's a shame too, wasn't this the last major tournament Van Der Sar was going to play in or something?

@Red Devil: One good performance? I thought the way they played against Sweden (they won, 2-0) was great. One thing I just don't understand is, if Russia isn't that great of a team, why are they in the final four? I agree though, I think Holland did peak too early in the tournament.

To be honest, I think we'd all agree, Holland played like shit when it really mattered. I don't think anyone of us would disagree, Russia played better and after that match they clearly deserved to win.

---

I don't really care for the Turkey v. Germany game, but damn the Spain v. Russia game is going to be extremely awesome IMO.

Its difficult to explain why Russia are in the final four, its like this, top teams who play the best football dont always win and if you have an 'Off Day' you can go out easily.

Russia coasted through the group in my opinion and only beat Sweden as they have an aging defence, and to me Hollands group was much tougher than Russias, Holland had to compete with the two WC Finalists and a very stubborn Romania.

Russia though have played well (in patches) and have done well, when needed but I certainly dont think there better than the likes of Portugal and Croatia who got knocked out of the QF.

Anyway a bit off topic but my mate but a bet on Russia (33-1) to win Euro 2008 before the tournment started, so he's desperate they bat Spain, he'll get over £300 I think.

Edited by Red Devil

Its difficult to explain why Russia are in the final four, its like this, top teams who play the best football dont always win and if you have an 'Off Day' you can go out easily.

Russia coasted through the group in my opinion and only beat Sweden as they have an aging defence, and to me Hollands group was much tougher than Russias, Holland had to compete with the two WC Finalists and a very stubborn Romania.

Russia though have played well (in patches) and have done well, when needed but I certainly dont think there better than the likes of Portugal and Croatia who got knocked out of the QF.

Anyway a bit off topic but my mate but a bet on Russia (33-1) to win Euro 2008 before the tournment started, so he's desperate they bat Spain, he'll get over £300 I think.

You see, I see it a different way. I think the four best teams in Europe right now are Germany, Turkey, Russia, and Spain. If you were better than those teams, you'd be in instead of them. And I thought it was so weird that those two WC finalists played so shitty, I was expecting them to dominate and advance easily. :/

Good luck to your friend. :D

It's a shame too, wasn't this the last major tournament Van Der Sar was going to play in or something?

Uh, was it... :o

Ah, crap... He really was the only one (and van Nistelrooy once...) we cheered for that saturday. He really is the only person who ALWAYS plays exellent. The rest has their days and stuff, but Van Der Sar.. I haven't actually ever see him play bad. Has always done a great job as far as I can remember.

Anyway, Germany VS Turkey now. Still 0-0 at the moment.

Did anyone else have troubles watching the match? Apparently there was lightning around where they were playing and it kept cutting the international feed or something? (That's what the commentators were saying.) Did anyone else miss the two goals (one from each side) in the late second half of the game? Well I did due to that, and Germany scored to make it 2-1 and nobody on ESPN had a clue what was happening, then Turkey scored again to make it 2-2 and no one again had an idea what was happening, then it came back on and I saw Germany's final goal to make it 3-2. Awesome game, good effort by Turkey at the end. :/

Could anyone tell me the name of the song played after each goal ?

k thx bai.

Heh, I'd actually like to know as well. Anyway, so Spain beat Russia 3-0. :o I didn't get to watch any of it, but I heard Russia played disappointing. As in, they kinda just went to total shit/gave up/lost hope after Spain's first goal or something? I'm sure it'll be on again later, I'll watch it then. Good job Spain.

So it's Germany v. Spain. I honestly couldn't care less for who wins now, although I like Torres, I guess I'll favor Germany since I really, really like Schweinsteiger. I've also always liked their coach, Joachim Löw (plus me and my brother constantly make jokes about how Germany should just demolish every team and be pissed off while doing it, etc. :P).

Still kinda pissed about Russia losing, oh well, go Germany I suppose. :/