Eurovision 2008

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...somebody got upset

To be perfectly honest, the political voting is actually funny. It's easier to guess who'll get votes than it is to guess which was the best song.

Finland won in 2006 because of their music (that rock song). But Russia came second. In 2007, Serbia won (obviously), Ukraine came second, Russia third.

See a trend? Russia also came 3rd in 2003 and 2nd in 2000. Same with Greece, coming 3rd in 2001, 3rd in 2004, 1st in 2005, and 3rd in 2008. See this page for lists of who regularly votes for each other/

This block voting is simply because of the growing number of eastern-European countries voting for each other. Imagine all the western countries voting for each other... UK, Ireland, France, Spain, Portugal, Netherlands, Belgium, Luxembourg... that's only 7 countries. If they all voted for the same country (eg France) then they could get 84 points straight off. Now imagine if they were split up into 30 tiny countries, each with the same weight of vote - one of them could get 360 points.

How do we solve this? Have uneven votes, based on population. So the UK has 70 million people, so it gets to dish out 70 points. Russia has a population of 142m, so it gets to hand out 142 votes. Serbia has 10m, so gets 10 votes.

You'll notice the Balkan block ends up with the same amount of votes as the western European countries I mentioned. Surely this is a lot more fair, rather than votes simply being made up of how many governments there are in an area. Even if Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland got their own votes (currently all part of the UK) then that would balance out the situation slightly.

The thing is, Eurovision, because of this, becomes less and less prestigious every year. You CANNOT get fame from winning anymore. In a few weeks, everyone will have forgotten the winner's name and song. The only reason people still know Ruslana is due to GTA IV and because news of her being in the game was leaked early on (I bet she did it herself) which sort of hept her in the spotlight a bit.

Winner's generally only become popular in their home countries as well I think.

Another thing that's stupid is the disproportionate amount of immigrants in other people's countries. This happened several times last night, and you can tell because the country had a shit song (no one else voted highly for it) yet somehow they got a 12.

Examples:

Moldova awarding Romania 12 - There are shitloads of Romanians in Moldova, why are they allowed to vote?

UK awarding Poland a decent number of points - There are shitloads of Poles in the UK, why are they allowed to vote?

Obviously it would be almost impossible to remedy this since there's no real way to restrict foreigners from voting... but I'm just making a point.

And the whole former USSR is just fucked because everyone's so spread out in large numbers that mass voting can easily take place and people can get their home countries higher up.

I don't think these problems can ever be solved to be honest unless radical changes in the way the voting is done take place, something like Gerard said. Until then, I don't think the competition will ever be taken seriously.

Except by the 4 or 5 countries who regularly appear at the top. :P

coffin dealer's post above is proof Eastern Europe still takes this seriously!

Oh and also, Malta, wtf, where were our points you bastards? With all the British heritage lying around in Malta you'd think we'd at least get a pity vote!

And Cyprus, with all the British help you got during times of difficulty (still ongoing I believe)!

:P

It might as well be called the Eastern European Song contest instead of Eurovision. If the UK back out along with the others in the big four, then Eurovision won't exist for another year as we and the others contribute to the Eurovision. Even the United Kingdom broadcaster Terry Wogan has considered leaving as the television commentator since we have won in about 10 years and the political voting occurring in the contest now. It was expected that Ukraine or Russia would win from the start of the contest.

I noticed that either Serbia gave Bosnia and Herzegovina 12 points or vice-versa. BBC news even criticised the fact that even Latvia was ahead of the UK (Andy Abraham) and it had a somewhat childish theme.