Eurovision 2008

250px-ESC_Belgrade_2008.png

Serbia will host one of the biggest music events of the European continent with the Final looming towards us on Saturday 24th May. The semi finals will also be held this week with one of them being tomorrow and the other being on Thursday.

Gerard posting a somewhat excellent description of the Eurovision contest, with of course having a few changes since 2006:

For those who aren't familiar with the Eurovision Song Contest, it is a major music festival where every European country offers up a song to be performed at the final, and hope to win. The countries of Europe in the final battle it out on this one night, performing their songs and hoping to win over the 10 million viewers at home. Then, each country holds internal votes (phone, text etc) to decide who their favourites are, then they award points (up to 12) to their favourite countries. Each nation cannot vote for themselves, but they usually just vote for nearby countries, friends and allies - this show is politically based even if it isn't supposed to be. The votes are tallied up, and one country's performance is crowned the winner, and they get to host the contest the next year.

Here are a list of the countries taking part in the Eurovision song contest:

Albania, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Croatia, FYR Macedonia, Montenegro, Slovenia, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, Iceland, Norway, Sweden, Belgium, Bulgaria, Cyprus, Greece, Netherlands, Turkey, Andorra, Ireland, Latvia, Lithuania, Portugal, Romania, Armenia, Belarus, Georgia, Israel, Moldova, Russia, Ukraine, Azerbaijan, Czech Republic, Hungary, Malta, Poland, San Marino, Switzerland, Spain, France, Serbia, United Kingdom & Germany

Blue - Finalists (More to be added once Semi Finals are over)

Red - Semi Final - Group 2 (To be concluded on the 22nd May 2008)

Green - Semi Final - Group 1 (To be concluded on the 20th May 2008)

There however has been a lot of criticism of some countries using English as their language to perform their songs. This year France who's main language is French chose to use English to perform their songs.

Past Winners include Serbia (2007), Ukraine (2004), Finland (2006), Greece (2005), Latvia (2002), Turkey (2003), Denamrk (2000).

Many countries have won it more than once and those being Ireland, France, The United Kingdom, Luxembourg, Netherlands.

However some countries have never won it before which includes Portugal, Iceland, Azerbaijan and a few others who could be close to winning this year.

Good Luck Europe!

You can see and listen to some of the songs at http://www.eurovision.tv/

Edited by Thomas.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LOL I can't wait, I love Eurovision and how utterly shit it is every single year. I watch it simply for the lulz and all the political voting that goes on - seriously you see the same countries voting for each other every damn year... and Terry Wogan doing the voiceover in the UK... some of his comments are hilarious, I swear sometimes when he does it he's slightly drunk as well :P

The only annoying thing is when one of the countries has a song which is shit, but it's really catchy, and you get it stuck in your head and you wanna listen to it more... that's annoying.

I also like how all the Western countries just don't really care anymore... they might as well just make it the EasternEurovision :P

Franz-Ferdinand or some other well known band in the UK would be better for us but we decided to choose some guy we have not heard of or haven't heard of in years.

There's some weird rules about who and who can't enter though. And I think a song has to be specifically written for the competition now, and since it's so shit, no famous bands will stoop so low as to do such a thing, which is why every year you get unheard of artists playing.

Franz-Ferdinand or some other well known band in the UK would be better for us but we decided to choose some guy we have not heard of or haven't heard of in years.

In case you don't know, Franz Ferdinand are a talented (therefor automatically dismissed in the contest), INDIE (independent, alternative ;)) band and would never ever play Eurovision.

I just watched a couple of minutes, I must say that I can't belive many of those songs actually got to this contest. Anybody know who got to the semi-finals?

yeah, I know them:

Israel, Azerbaijan, Norway, Poland, Bosnia, Armenia, Finland, Romania, Russia and Greece are all through. However the following did not make it through:

Ireland, Andorra, Netherlands, Slovenia, Belgium, San Marino, Moldova, Estonia and Montenegro.

The other semi finalists who went through will be announced on Thursday.