UK retailer breaks GTA IV release date

GTA Don

Apparently, UK retailer, Asda has sold a copy of GTA IV to a member of the public before the game's release. An image of the receipt has also been posted. Read more below.

The street date for Grand Theft Auto IV appears to have been broken as a picture of the game and a receipt appears on a PlayStation forum.

Asda has been indicated as the retailer to have broken the date, although comments on a recent MCV story indicates other supermarkets and online stores have also gone early.

"This is an isolated incident, we had a clear message to stores not to sell early, and so any copies that have gone on sale are miniscule," said Asda's Duncan Cross. "We have no policy to sell before the street date, and we'll make sure this doesn't happen again."

In this week’s MCV magazine, various key UK retailers told MCV they were confident that the GTA street date would not be broken.

CHIPS’ Don McCabe said: “Take Two has done everything they physically can to stop the street date breaking. We’ve all had to sign an agreement, we’ve all received constant reminders about that agreement, we’ve even had to sign an agreement on the guide book release for the first time.

“Of course if anyone does break the date I hope the full weight of Take Two comes down upon them, and I wouldn’t be surprised if their re-stock delivery gets lost somewhere”

Source: MCV UK

Not mad about it, just really, really jealous. The true GTA fans need to wait (us) and the other ones just go out and are like "lol'.

EXACTLY. This is what pisses me off. We have to wait here while n00bs get the pleasure of playing while we sit and wait! Thats unfair, ive seen youtube videos and they got me really excited but Take Two commanded to block those videos.

Edited by Dr.Dbl-Gee

Not mad about it, just really, really jealous. The true GTA fans need to wait (us) and the other ones just go out and are like "lol'.

EXACTLY. This is what pisses me off. We have to wait here while n00bs get the pleasure of playing while we sit and wait! Thats unfair, ive seen youtube videos and they got me really excited but Take Two commanded to block those videos.

Whats wrong with you guys? Your just assuming this guy is an absolute tosshead. You don't know what kind of person he is, maybe he doesn't even know when the game is coming out and just went to ask about it. Chill out.

And besides, if you went and asked ASDA about GTAIV and they let you buy it, would you honestly say no?

Whats wrong with you guys? Your just assuming this guy is an absolute tosshead. You don't know what kind of person he is, maybe he doesn't even know when the game is coming out and just went to ask about it. Chill out.

And besides, if you went and asked ASDA about GTAIV and they let you buy it, would you honestly say no?

I'm jealous of the guy not pissed off at him... wtf?