• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 Chris

Chris

Limbal Rings

• Administrators
  • 10,968 posts

Posted 25 April 2008 - 06:39 PM

Back in March, a number of webmasters from the biggest GTA fansites were contacted by Rockstar. This was to say we had been invited to experience Grand Theft Auto IV in New York City towards the end of April, before the game's release!

The other webmasters which received an invitation were:
On Sunday, 20th April, I arrived in New York City with the UK webmasters (the others would join us the next day). On Monday and Tuesday we were able to spend literally all night playing GTA4 single player and multiplayer respectively, before leaving NYC on the Thursday. Some of the webmasters including myself have written about our special trip, so if you're interested in what went on, be sure to read our feature: The premier GTAIV fansite pre-launch party.

Other webmaster's stories: GTA4.tv, PlanetGTA, GTA4.net, GTAGaming and GTAWH

Feel free to use this topic to ask me questions on things I didn't cover in the article. Obviously we're not allowed to spoil or reveal any major details, so don't bother asking about those. ;)

#2 Charger

Charger

Right-Hand Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 971 posts

Posted 25 April 2008 - 06:54 PM

You Guys Are Fucking Lucky! R* are great people, I so far have read your article, GTANET's, and GTA4.tv.

Did you guys receive a copy of GTAIV after you left?

#3 Vercetti Gangsta

Vercetti Gangsta

Nobody Special

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 25 April 2008 - 06:55 PM

Superb :) Hope you had fun

Just wanted to ask some technical questions:
1) Is there any environmental damage in the game? E.g. wrecking buildings in one way or another?
2) The damage done to objects and props - is it dynamic? Or is it the same damage each time you wreck the objects?
3) What happens if you heli-kill someone? :D

Edit: You should've asked about the PC version... But then again, maybe they would've shot you :P

Edited by Vercetti Gangsta, 25 April 2008 - 06:59 PM.

#4 GTA Don

GTA Don

It was a good day.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,605 posts
  •    England 

Posted 25 April 2008 - 06:58 PM

You are one lucky ****! I read the whole recount, and it seems like you guys had a great time. Rockstar truly own!

Ermm...

#5 mutu

mutu

Enforcer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 537 posts
  • Norway 

Posted 25 April 2008 - 07:00 PM

I read a bit of it, im gonna finish the rest later. It's very fun to read it with a lot of interesting information.
Posted Image
Thanks to MrLlamaLlama for this amazing signature!

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
These userbars are made by me

#6 Chris

Chris

Limbal Rings

• Administrators
  • 10,968 posts

Posted 25 April 2008 - 07:04 PM

Superb :) Hope you had fun

Just wanted to ask some technical questions:
1) Is there any environmental damage in the game? E.g. wrecking buildings in one way or another?
2) The damage done to objects and props - is it dynamic? Or is it the same damage each time you wreck the objects?
3) What happens if you heli-kill someone? :D

Edit: You should've asked about the PC version... But then again, maybe they would've shot you :P

1) Not really, at least I didn't see any. Bullet holes and stuff appear in walls, roads etc.
2) Well on vehicles it's dynamic, and I'm pretty sure on some objects it's dynamic.
3) Haha, that has to be one of the most spectacular things I did. I flew a helicopter into a Police helicopter chasing me, it literally sawed it in half and we both dropped out of the sky. It looked awesome.

And yes I did, I briefly mentioned it on the Day 2 page.

#7 Vercetti Gangsta

Vercetti Gangsta

Nobody Special

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 25 April 2008 - 07:11 PM

Ah thanks for the quick reply. :) I like the fact that vehicles have dynamic damage to it.

Oh I'd like to see what you said on day 2, but the link to the first part isn't working anymore for some odd reason:
http://www.thegtapla...e-beginning.php

Edit: I managed to get the link from the second part:

I asked about the release of the PC version of GTA IV, but unfortunately got the infamous "no comment" response.

Gah :P But at least that leaves us with more hope that they're actually working on something.

Edited by Vercetti Gangsta, 25 April 2008 - 07:18 PM.

#8 Switch Designs

Switch Designs

WWW.GTAFORLIFE.COM

• Members
  • Pip
  • 88 posts

Posted 25 April 2008 - 07:41 PM

What a great experience for you guys. I know everyone on the list and as someone who has done so much for the community making over 150 mods for the gta 3 series, being admin first at www.gtagaming.com, and now being admin at www.thegtaplace.com as well as having my mods on every gta network site out there, I feel saddened that a company who I have the utmost respect for would leave me out of something so amazing.... All I have to say is BAH!

Switch Designs
The best in GTA modding!

Don't hate the modders hate the game!
Posted Image

#9 Chris

Chris

Limbal Rings

• Administrators
  • 10,968 posts

Posted 25 April 2008 - 07:53 PM

Yeah sorry about the day 1 not loading, something messed up, it's working again now ;)

And no Charger, we didn't get a free copy of GTA IV. To be honest I think they were all being manufactured when we were there so I'm not sure if we could have got one anyway.

#10 Mike356

Mike356

Lieutenant

• Members
  • 2,089 posts

Posted 25 April 2008 - 08:01 PM

off topic but did you ask if they were gonna make a sas and was their an army base
Posted Image

#11 Chris

Chris

Limbal Rings

• Administrators
  • 10,968 posts

Posted 25 April 2008 - 08:22 PM

I didn't ask about SAS. And I didn't see an army base but then I wasn't actually looking for one. I didn't explore all the islands either.

#12 Thomas.

Thomas.

Capo

• Elite Members
  • 6,715 posts
  • United Kingdom 

Posted 25 April 2008 - 08:29 PM

What did driving the cars actually feel like? I mean they have made it a lot more realistic according to various sites, was it better than before?

Posted Image
Past member of the Fiore Family Mafia ;_;

#13 Mike356

Mike356

Lieutenant

• Members
  • 2,089 posts

Posted 25 April 2008 - 08:43 PM

what part did you start on and what part did you actully unlock and did you see the statue of happiness
Posted Image

#14 Connor

Connor

Lieutenant

• Members
  • 2,665 posts

Posted 25 April 2008 - 08:44 PM

Hahaha, that was so funny man, the questions that driver asked were hilarious. And aw, you got to sit with a room full of Rockstar guys, getting pissed, playing GTA IV...

Posted Image

Ah, IRC, where men are men, women are men, and 14-year old girls are FBI agents.

#15 hahamu.dk

hahamu.dk

Vandal

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  • Denmark 

Posted 25 April 2008 - 10:22 PM

Oh man, i'm so envious!
you have just expirienced my biggest dream, i wish it was me.
But thanks for sharing your expirience with us other people, now i can atleast imagine how it must have been.

#16 Artur

Artur

I-E-A-I-A-I-O

• Members
  • 2,835 posts

Posted 26 April 2008 - 05:21 PM

Wow Chris you're pretty damn lucky :P I'm positive you had a fun time, I'm betting everyone here is jealous.

Posted Image

Courtesy of TM!

#17 Mike356

Mike356

Lieutenant

• Members
  • 2,089 posts

Posted 26 April 2008 - 05:25 PM

while you were walking around could you hear the music coming from the cars
Posted Image

#18 fatalgamer

fatalgamer

fatalgamer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 519 posts

Posted 26 April 2008 - 06:50 PM

Ah hey Chris. I wandering

1) Was there any popping, like stuff popping into view like cars , environment and stuff?
2) How is the cruisablity, is the accelerator trigger real sensitive, can can you drive real slow?The environment is so beautiful that I just wanna cruise throw real so and check out every detail. Can I do that?
3) Any significant glitches or problems?

I would appreciate your reply, thanks.

Edited by fatalgamer, 26 April 2008 - 06:51 PM.

Posted Image

#19 Chris

Chris

Limbal Rings

• Administrators
  • 10,968 posts

Posted 27 April 2008 - 01:44 AM

What did driving the cars actually feel like? I mean they have made it a lot more realistic according to various sites, was it better than before?

Oh yeah it's definitely better than before IMO, it just takes a few moments to get used to when you first start playing as it's quite a bit different.

what part did you start on and what part did you actully unlock and did you see the statue of happiness

If you mean in terms of where on the map you start, it's the south of the island on the right, Broker. I think the next place to unlock is the north of that island, Dukes.
And yes, I stole a helicopter and flew to the Statue of Happiness. Alison told me at the real Statue of Liberty that the in-game island was created exactly as it is in real life. And I noticed that when I went there in-game.

while you were walking around could you hear the music coming from the cars

I can't remember actually. Since we were all playing in one room we couldn't hear our own game too well. I'm pretty sure I could though.

Ah hey Chris. I wandering

1) Was there any popping, like stuff popping into view like cars , environment and stuff?
2) How is the cruisablity, is the accelerator trigger real sensitive, can can you drive real slow?The environment is so beautiful that I just wanna cruise throw real so and check out every detail. Can I do that?
3) Any significant glitches or problems?

I would appreciate your reply, thanks.

1) I didn't notice it much if there was. I don't think there was.
2) Yeah you can drive pretty slowly if you wish. The city is awe-inspiring at night, cruise through it then ;)
3) Well, it wouldn't be GTA without it's glitches. There wasn't anything huge. Occasionally you'd walk out and a car would hit you real softly, but the character animation for falling/getting hit would kick in where you can't really control Niko, which is kind of annoying. Also, and this only happened once to me, but driving really fast, there was a small piece of road which didn't load properly, it was just grey - but that only happened once. Both PS3 and 360 can receive game updates though, so minor things like this could easily be fixed I would imagine.

#20 azn

azn

The infamous shoe avatar!

• Members
  • 1,879 posts
  • Korea, Republic of 

Posted 27 April 2008 - 01:52 AM

Chris..

-Did you see the World Trade Center?
-Approximately how smaller is Liberty City compared to San Andreas?
-Were there any references to GTA clones? Saints Row in particular..
-How difficult is the wanted level to evade?
-How effective is the new cover system? And how has the AI been improved over SA?

I could actually ask all day but I won't take up too much of your time ;)

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users