GTA IV gets the Bad Cop treatment

Now this has been bothering me for a while. It seems that every time graphics are mentioned, someone says." Grand Theft Auto is not about the graphics ".......Well when it goes Next-Gen, it is a problem.

Here is a bit of information provided by

www.gta4.net.

While we have seen many overly positive previews so far, GTA IV certainly can't be perfect -- no game is. Luckily there are still some journalists out there who dare to have a slightly critical look at R*'s latest piece. Two of those are IGN's Patch Kolan and Cam Shea, who review the game's multiplayer component in Good Cop, Bad Cop style.

Amongst the things they aren't too happy about are clumsy camera controls, an imbalanced lock-on system, frame-rate hiccups and most worryingly the graphics:

"The depth-of-field blur effect is far too heavily applied to the multiplayer game. Everything that is more than 50 feet down the street from you starts to pixelate and distort strangely, as if filtered through a haze of tiny droplets of vegetable oil."

That is indeed something many people are confused about. In most screenshots we can see blurry, low-detail buildings (not just in the distance), as well as heavy distortion -- especially in areas of water, foliage and shadows -- resembling a quality known only from paintings. According to a recent Kotaku article, those distortion filters are intended to actually improve the game's visuals:

"I suspect there's a filter involved, something that gives the world a touch of artistry. [...] Jeronimo Barrera tells me that Rockstar loves its filters. It helps, he says, fool the eye, masks some of the imperfections that games, no matter how next-gen, will always have."

Whether this is for better or for worse and impacts the gameplay noticably, remains to be something players will have to decide for themselves when the game comes to stores later this month.

Now its not just me is it...... Its the big guys saying it..... :pissed:

Edited by -THE-DEALER-

No graphics mean alot I didn't spend $400 on a machine for "gameplay".

Exactly!....You guys need to snap out of always saying the graphics do not mean everything, when it clearly does. Does to me! and probably everyone else who spent good money for a system dedicated to graphics. Yeah i understand Grand Theft Auto has always been number one for great gameplay, i ain't doubting that but you guys need to get your heads out of the sand and stop talking crap!......They are bad graphics and they need fixing FAST! :bashhead: .... :thumbsdown:

You guys just do not want it delayed again!....I am not bothered, if it was. Then fine because i do not want it being rushed.

I don't judge games by their graphics particularly, I mean, look at LCS or VCS, those two games had some of the shittest graphics ever. BUT the gameplay and everything else was brilliant, graphics are important, but it isn't the reason why I bought a PS3. The PSP had some of the shittest graphics I've seen, yet it had some of the best games I've seen/played. We all know that GTA IV isn't going to be perfect, that's impossible, different gamers like different genres. But it sure will be enjoyable. I've been playing Grand Theft Auto since I was young, I never complained one bit about the graphics. Why start now?

I don't judge games by their graphics particularly, I mean, look at LCS or VCS, those two games had some of the shittest graphics ever. BUT the gameplay and everything else was brilliant, graphics are important, but it isn't the reason why I bought a PS3. The PSP had some of the shittest graphics I've seen, yet it had some of the best games I've seen/played. We all know that GTA IV isn't going to be perfect, that's impossible, different gamers like different genres. But it sure will be enjoyable. I've been playing Grand Theft Auto since I was young, I never complained one bit about the graphics. Why start now?

Thats because at the time we thought those graphics where really good, for example in about 20 years time we will look back at games like call of duty 4 and assasins creed graphics and say " god those graphics suck" when gta 1 first came out my dad said he couldnt imagine the graphics getting any better, then gta 3 came and we where like OMFFFFFFFFFFFFFFGGG!!!!!!!!!!

If you read it, it is talking about the graphics in multi-player. The graphics have to be lowered in multi-player to avoid lagging accross the network otherwise it would take away from the game.

This is a crucial point, because the graphical requirements will be different for single player & multiplayer modes. Of course when you are playing by yourself you will b ecomstantly aware of the world around you, however in a hectic multiplayer death match your focus will be on your immediate surroundings & not the buildings on the horizon.

I think R* are doing the right thing by prioritising the elements of the game which people will notice the most. If your honest you know you would be more pissed off by lag or glitchy gameplay, than a slightly hazy view of the cityscape.

Exactly!....You guys need to snap out of always saying the graphics do not mean everything, when it clearly does. Does to me! and probably everyone else who spent good money for a system dedicated to graphics. Yeah i understand Grand Theft Auto has always been number one for great gameplay, i ain't doubting that but you guys need to get your heads out of the sand and stop talking crap!......They are bad graphics and they need fixing FAST! :bashhead: .... :thumbsdown:

You guys just do not want it delayed again!....I am not bothered, if it was. Then fine because i do not want it being rushed.

Well, that's your fault for buying a console for the wrong reasons. I bought a videogame console for awesome games, not because I'm a graphics whore. Unlike you two, the majority of us "gamers" don't care for mind-blowing visuals. We just want to play the games. For example, Driv3r had good graphics, but the gameplay was shit.

All gta series games graphic sucked but we still liked them but however my expectations for IV are very very very high becuase i practically bought my console for it and then it was delayed. I was pissed and now i want the best game ever and im sure the gameplay will be excellent but all those people who say graphics are not important are not right. No graphics = no gameplay, crappy graphics = crappy effects and cheap gameplay. That is why i made the "low poly" topic, because i was dissapointed.

I still haven't managed to get a console. :bashhead: But if I do before the 29th then it will not be to play GTAIV because of good graphics, but to play IV for the gameplay. Yes I would like great graphics but i don't care. Although I know what you mean i just got a 1080p LCD TV that would make graphics on IV look great. For me it doesn't really matter and didn't jeremy and swifty say that this is for multiplayer only.

the thing is there will always be a game out there that as better graphics, like IVAN said at the moment no game will be as graphically good as crysis, no way but in a bout a year maybe even 2 or 3 there will be and that will come with the develpoment of better gfx cards and games consoles, there was always something about GTAs graphics that weren't right, primarily the stuck together fingers, now that is sorted, it is the blurs/filters, for christ sake it is a game it aint fucking reality, i know that is what R* are going for but give them a break they are after all only human... i wouldnt base my purchase of a game soley on the graphics, otherwise i wouldn't be waiting to buy the original half life off of steam!

Don't worry, it's just a bunch of graphics whores conplaining.

I'm a gameplay man myself, but I kinda want the game to look good too, you know.

It will look good but not as good as Crysis,etc...

It's a shame Crysis is a disappointment, gameplay-wise.

see thats the point yeah crysis is beautiful but after a while your just like ok yeah the graphics are amazing but what else has this got to offer that other FPSs havent?

Actually, i think the graphics look fantastic. Maybe not the best, but certainly good enough for anyone who isn't completley obsessed with the look.

Maybe you should just shut up now... or at least wait until the game is actually released before you start bitching about it...

Don't worry, it's just a bunch of graphics whores conplaining.

You can fu*k off...........Why is you people always say the same thing. You retarded or something? Do you have anything to back up your argument up or are you always going to say. IT'S NOT ABOUT THE GRAPHICS. No it isn't, but when a company has been working on a game since the FU*KING stone ages you expect to see some amazing results. I am NOT putting this game down as this is going to be the biggest game of the year for gameplay alone but some fagot over at Rockstar is pissing me off with his filters......Why use filters if the game does not look ok by itself? I know all games use this but that is the last resort.......TO POLISH THINGS UP. NOT TO MAKE THE GAME WHAT IT IS. THAT IS JUST BEING LAZY!......... :thumbsdown:

I understand why you are pissed. You are pissed because you have just realized, that the game you have been waiting ages for has turned out to be a pile of shit WHEN IT COMES TO GRAPHICS. I am pissed too, you know!...... :bashhead: .....

BUT GET THIS IN THE THICK SKULLS. I AM NOT SAYING IT IS BAD, JUST SOME ASPECTS! YES IT CANNOT BE PERFECT BUT WHAT I AM ASKING FOR DOES NOT HAVE TO BE PERFECT. IT IS JUST SOMETHING WE SHOULD EXPECT, SINCE WE HAVE WAITED LONG ENOUGH! :(

Edited by -THE-DEALER-

Woah.. Watch the F word.. (you spelled it wrong too)

Anywhoziers. I've been thinking that some of the screen shots are like.. Umm.. Unsharp? Is that the word I'm looking for?

They don't look like total crap, but they can look better. I always thought it was just the screenshots, but it sounds like its like that in the game too.. I hope it gets fixed, but oh well if it doesn't, I guess. Because like a lot of people are saying, its not about the graphics as long as it has greatastic gameplay, which GTA IV definetly will.