Kotaku Previews GTAIV

chris82

Earlier today, gaming site Kotaku received a massive preview of GTAIV, revealing a significant amount of new information about the game.

gtaiv2.jpg

• Car chases during missions aren't completely scripted
  • If a moving car's tires are shot, the car will grind on the rims
  • An achievement called 'One Man Army' is presumably unlocked by using a rocket launcher to blow up a police helicopter
  • The current build of the game contains cheats, which the developers used throughout the preview
  • Skipping the taxi ride will cost you a 'small fee,' in addition to the ride fare
  • One mission previewed involved Niko sniping gang members in a construction site on a rooftop
  • Similarly to Gears of War, players can now use cover, blind fire, and free fire their weapons
  • Niko's health is shown as a green bar that wraps around the radar, while his armor is shown as a similar blue bar
  • Items that are dropped by NPCs in the game such as money, weapons, and ammo glow in the dark to make them easier to find
  • While there will be multiplayer, there will be no cooperative gameplay for the story mode

You can check out the full article and screenshots here.

Thanks to ~Brad~ for the news.

EDIT: Kotaku followed up with a Q&A session with Rockstar about the game, which you can read here

I'm really hoping for multiplayer offline. I want to be able to play split screen with my friends or two-player with a buddy. The two-player doesn't need to be co-op story, I'd just be happy with a run-around, do whatever mode - as long as its split screen. Keeping all the features in (i.e. car modding, garage, etc. Those little things that make a big difference) in split-screen would be important as well.

ever since like august , september 2007 we never really got new news on gta 4 and that really isnt any exception most of that i at least already knew.. i hated..the multiplayer in san adreas for the ps2 cause you had to find those stupid things to actually play it .. and even then most were timed! so you could only do it fora short length of time, there was a limited distance you go be from each other and well it was rubbish really .

i hope if there is an offline multiplayer on this , not following the line of the story cause well.. that would be stupid having two nikos or having to make relationships with two people in the game. but just that 2-4 people could just mess around have complete free roam of the city and be at opposite ends and for it not to matter.. you could race cars, shoot each other, kill pedestrians, anything you wanted .. if it has something like that as well as a brilliant online multiplayer then i would never .. ever take this game out my ps3. honestly though i hate playing online multiplayer.. cause you get those people that spend their lifes playing it so are brilliant.. and then people like me come on and only ever last a minute before i'm dead and never really get to shoot anyone.

only other new news i see there is..

the achievments.. perhaps unlockable content with them like in some games " snipe 10 people in the head " or whatever and you'll get a new weapon unlock but probably not .

cheats in the game.. i love gta for cheats i really do, i just love to cheat its so much funner shooting someone with rocket launchers and not having to worry about finding a new one before a mission.

weapons glow in the dark... not really realistic but then when you've got an lcd tv and can hardly see anything when its at night on it cause of the stupid back light .. it will sure help!!! .. p.s - what is npc???

thanks for the info anyway .. 76 days left.. wooo!

Edited by mark123

I really really hope there's offline multiplayer even though the san andreas one was a bit crap at least you can roam around with no time limits....It was great me and friend used to go roof jumping all the time!!!! or use the cheats and do wing walking or try and hit the water even though your flying car was miles in the air!! Brilliant stuff!!.....Ah simple minds! :rolleyes: