GTA Movie Started... and Cancelled

Gerard

Gaming blog The Cut Scene, part of Variety, has reported that there was a Grand Theft Auto movie in the early stages of production. Apparently Rockstar had warmed to the idea of doing a film, and Take Two was in negotiations with an unnamed film studio - even Eminem was being approached to play the lead. Although it appears, like the planned Halo film, the GTA movie has been scrapped, Cut Scene saying it "fell apart...at the last minute."

However, Dan Houser has responded to the media, dismissing the claims that the movie had ever been started:

Rockstar was not involved in this project in any shape or form nor is it something that we're currently interested in. There was no GTA movie in the works as far as Rockstar is concerned. Some movie producers were trying to put something together to entice us to make a movie, as studios and production teams frequently have done in the past. This proposal was no more interesting than the numerous others we receive. We never entertained proceeding with the project.

Perhaps it was only a suggestion floating around at Take Two, or perhaps it is just a piece of overzealous journalism, but it is still intriguing to hear at least rumours of a GTA movie from the creators themselves.

Do you think Take Two would make a GTA movie? Should be a one? If so, who should be in it? Let us know in the forums.

Why would Eminem be approached for the lead? I'm not saying he's a bad actor, but he doesn't seem like the right person to portray the lead.

Besides, I think it'd be damn difficult to fit all of what makes GTA great into a two-hour film.

Why would there only be one movie? If the Grand Theft Auto video game series made it to the big screen I could pretty much guarantee there would be more than one movie...assuming that there will ever be one.

I feel that if they ever decide to make a movie based off of the GTA video game series that they should use the actors and actresses that voiced the characters in the video games, most of which are actually actors and actresses.

Although, since Rockstar Games is creating a whole new story…I don’t really see that happening…ALTHOUGH, they did re-model Liberty City to make it look a hell of a lot more like New York City…which would help them out with production of a movie in the future. You never know, but for now I’ll stick with what Dan Houser said and expect no movie until Rockstar Games themselves says otherwise.

maybe you guys don't know this, but there is a Grand Theft Auto movie on dvd but it was made in the 80's i think coz i have it on DVD, but its sh*t

The 70's, and yeah and it has absolutely nothing to do with the games, obviously, as it's so old. Plus it's a crime comedy. Why on earth do you own it on DVD when it's so bad? :P

Lol.

It would be great if they did San Andreas, as Young Maylay looks and has the voice of CJ, and how are they going to film the movie if the cities are fictional? Then there's physics..CJ can't carry around a pistol, an Uzi, a shotgun, a Sniper, an M4, a rocket launcher etc simultaneously so there's a problem. And since a lot of the stuff in the game is based on real life products, it would be easy finding props :P Elegy = Skyline R34 hehe.

maybe you guys don't know this, but there is a Grand Theft Auto movie on dvd but it was made in the 80's i think coz i have it on DVD, but its sh*t

The 70's, and yeah and it has absolutely nothing to do with the games, obviously, as it's so old. Plus it's a crime comedy. Why on earth do you own it on DVD when it's so bad? :P

lol, i only watched it once, and its at the bottom of my DVD pile lol

In my opinion, i thnik a gta movie would be a great idea. and if it sold enough, they could make a trilligy out of it. i can see a gta movie somewhere in the future, and i strongly hope there will be, to show more what happens in between the different games, and to show the fans more about the grand theft auto storyline.

as for eminem being in the plot, i wouldnt like that, because then the movie would seem to be more about him and his life, and not about gta.

Edited by gtaraider

In my opinion, i thnik a gta movie would be a great idea. and if it sold enough, they could make a trilligy out of it. i can see a gta movie somewhere in the future, and i strongly hope there will be, to show more what happens in between the different games, and to show the fans more about the grand theft auto storyline.

as for eminem being in the plot, i wouldnt like that, because then the movie would seem to be more about him and his life, and not about gta.

I don't want Eminem to be a lead actor but that point you make is just stupid. How would the film be about his life?? He'd be doing what an actor those ROLE PLAYING. Hiring Eminem is just like hiring some other actor(Eminem isn't an actor though).