GTA IV the next WOW?

Swifty

From the information R* have given us, it sounds as if GTA IV is going to be an unbelievably immersive experience & with the multiple paths that you can take, the replay-ability will keep us comming back for more. I'm just wondering with all the depth that this game is speculated to have, will it become as life consuming as games like World Of Warcraft?

I don't think so, WoW is a massive RPG game that'll last as long as you want it to, whereas GTA4 will be over after roughly 25 hours (my guess) - the main storyline, that is, in total it could be 100 hours or more. You could take the multiple routes for GTA4 and add a further 20 hours or so, but the lengths of both games can't really compare, especially because of the numerous expansion packs WoW has been getting/will get. Don't get me wrong, it'll still be a humongous game, but the longevity won't be the same as WoW.

world of warcraft is going to be nothing like gta iv, but i see your point of veiw. i dont think it will be the same in the sense of picking a path or "destiny" in the game, because in world of warcraft, everything is still more or less set, no matter what you do, and hopefully, in gta iv, selecting different ways to do missions will affect the later missions in the game, making it a more fullfilling gaming experience, and the want to beat it multiple times to see the different outcomes from different choices.

and of course gta iv isnt going to be as big as wow, seeing as it is a console game.

Edited by gtaraider

I don't think so, WoW is a massive RPG game that'll last as long as you want it to, whereas GTA4 will be over after roughly 25 hours (my guess) - the main storyline, that is, in total it could be 100 hours or more. You could take the multiple routes for GTA4 and add a further 20 hours or so, but the lengths of both games can't really compare, especially because of the numerous expansion packs WoW has been getting/will get. Don't get me wrong, it'll still be a humongous game, but the longevity won't be the same as WoW.

You think GTA IV will finish after the main storyline and a few multiple routes? I still play SA after years, and I haven't repeated the storyline since the first time i went through it.

I can see how the RPG games are continuous, because you can always opt into new quests, and with online ones there can always be new stuff added.

GTA games are obviously different - after the storyline missions and whatever else you participate in, you can start making your own stuff to do, and using the provided world for your own storylines, scenarios, jobs and events. GTA games are actually really creative, as they allow you to just go and do whatever you feel like doing, over a massively wide spectrum of possibilities, from taxi driving to gang wars to policing to whatever.

The problem with IV is that it's going to be harder to just rule the city, which was easily possible by the time you'd completed past games. However this may open up avenues for much more realistic things to do, which will be cool.

I can appreciate, that they are totaly different genres of game & I'm not saying that the comparison is a good or a bad thing What I am getting at is the fact that GTA IV is going to have it's own internet, phone networks, cash machines & you're character is going to have a whole social life that you will need to manage. That's more than some WOW players do in the real world. I'm all for realism in GTA & can't wait to try out all these new features, but I am genuinely curious about the length of the game & the replayability factor, especially when there is downloadable content to take into account too.

i believe that even though IV will be a great game and have a lot of hits and maybe even game of the year but until rockstar makes an online game they won't be able to compete sadly

you meean an MMO? that would be cool, they could have all their cities built into it, and have commercial jets that take you to your destination. i think that would be cool, and WOULD compete greatly with wow, especially if its free online play. if R* ever did make something like that though, it would probably be a final game in the gta franchise, and that means i dont want it yet. :)

What I am getting at is the fact that GTA IV is going to have it's own internet, phone networks, cash machines & you're character is going to have a whole social life that you will need to manage. That's more than some WOW players do in the real world

Making us much more superior to them.

o_O

Its still in the game.

Well, I got hooked on saints row for like 20 years, not returning it to blockbuster for over six months. That just shows you how easily I get hooked on games.

im scared that when i get the games that my grades will drop.

...Well, I got hooked on saints row for like 20 years, not returning it to blockbuster for over six months. That just shows you how easily I get hooked on games.

im scared that when i get the games that my grades will drop.

your afraid they will drop, im afraid mine will stay the same! i need to stop playing so many games, and focus on my grades more :lol:

saints rows not bad, it will hold me over nicely till iv comes out. i mainly like playiing it for high speed pursuits, (cop ai is great),customizing cars, and raming cars head on so they fly through the winsheild :)