IGN: NaturalMotion's Euphoria Technology

Chris

IGN Australia have a new article up discussing the euphoria middleware developed by NaturalMotion, which is being used by Rockstar Games in GTA IV. The article goes into detail about how we'll see the euphoria technology used for amazingly realistic physics in the game. Here's just one quote from the article describing one example scenario:

During car chases, this also comes into play pretty spectacularly. Niko, as well as enemies in the game, are affected by inertia – to the point where rear-ending a car causes people in the front to fly through the windshield and into the air, arms in a controlled flail. The impact is sickening and realistic; bodies don't just ragdoll in GTA IV, they roll end over end or side-on, before coming to a natural pause.

Read the full article at IGN for more on this interesting subject.

Thanks Adriaan

IGN Australia have a new article up discussing the euphoria middleware developed by NaturalMotion, which is being used by Rockstar Games in GTA IV. The article goes into detail about how we'll see the euphoria technology used for amazingly realistic physics in the game. Here's just one quote from the article describing one example scenario:
During car chases, this also comes into play pretty spectacularly. Niko, as well as enemies in the game, are affected by inertia – to the point where rear-ending a car causes people in the front to fly through the windshield and into the air, arms in a controlled flail. The impact is sickening and realistic; bodies don't just ragdoll in GTA IV, they roll end over end or side-on, before coming to a natural pause.

Read the full article at IGN for more on this interesting subject.

Thanks Adriaan

hahahahaha awesome! i cant wait to rear end someone! hahaha .. if its like that when you rear end someone , what would happen if you knock someone down :D:D

I thought that R* was using their own engine 'RAGE' but that sounds sick and I was hoping that was going to happen in the game

Well, RAGE means Rockstar Advanced Graphics Engine ... They're using Euphoria as a Physics Engine instead of pre-canned animation ...

I've read the whole article and I must say that this wants me try that game ASP! I must say that for me Euphoria is the best choice R* could of made ...

IGN seem to think it's cool for Nicko to fly through the windshield of a car, so im sure we will... i hope... I mean, it could get a little annoying, but im sure if it does effect you as well as other pedestrians then it wouldn't happen very often. Ahh screw it just wear a fucking seatbelt...

Edited by -Acid-

Now that is what I call "Wicked". At least their will be some cool physics in the game.

"Screw it just wear a seatbelt'

Dude, awesome idea lol I think it'd be cool that when you get in a car you press a button to put on your seatbelt, so you won't fly outta the windshield :P And if you crashed really hard you could like possibly lose health cause of the resistance from the seatbelt.

Euphoria was a good choice. Yeah, Connor's right, it's Rockstar Advanced Game Engine. GTA IV...

Yes that is right it is Rockstar Advanced Game Engine, but that does'nt mean it handles physics. Infact I'm sure it handles everything but physics. Lighting, lighting effects, day and night cycle, weather cycle, etc, etc.

Now that is what I call "Wicked". At least their will be some cool physics in the game.

MOAR OWNAGE!

That sound freakin awesome. Imagine someone's face repetedly having chunks of gore ripped out of it when they slide down the road.

*Desires to rear end all visible bikers with a coach*

:)