Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  

What is this called?

Recommended Posts

WRX22B1998    23

If you guys have played GT4 or Wangan Midnight (Maximum Tune) or maybe some rally games,

In gt4 (in auto) if you go to a corner in 3rd gear, then slam the brakes and go down 2nd and 1st, when your car shifts down, there is like a flame thing out of the exhaust. What is this called?

Also in maximum tune if you let go of accel. then accel again it happens..like a bluey flame

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Urbanoutlaw    12

You kids... :lol:

That's just back fire. In a street car, you have at least a muffler to contain these so you don't see or hear them. In a racing

exhaust or w/ "fart can" mufflers, the back fire makes it out to the end of the pipe & you see/hear it.

It's the result of suddenly dropping to a lower gear & raising your RPMs. You get a bunch of unburned fuel in the exhaust

system & at the high RPMs the exhaust valves aren't completely sealed. On top of that, you also get a sudden advance of

spark (on older ignition systems, not sure on the new ones) & literally light off the exhaust.


Model A fords had an manually adjustable ignition advance (I used to restore them, a lifetime ago). You could play around

& make some nice loud back fires. :evil: The guy I worked for did it to mess w/ his dog, until he blew up his muffler.

IHRA Dragsters or Sprint cars make a nice show at night. :lolbounce:

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
K9 Krew    2

Anyone here ever done a keybanger??

I love them, we do it in the tunnel and scare all the other drivers. :D but it does damage your car

Process: While driving turn the car off and take the key out then insert the key back in and start up the car, thus cuasing a very loud noise to come from the car and when inside a tunnel it's quite hilarious.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this