What Movie Did You Last Watch?

Holster

I love that movie. Some of it is so messed up. The last thing I watched was The Lion King 3D :P It was pretty good. I haven't seen it since I was a small child. It was like I'd never seen it before, good movie though.

Damn i loved that movie

Disney & pixar 3D animated movies are just so cool to watch

• 1 month later...

Watched a ton of movies since the last post, so I'll keep this just related to last week:

The straight story- Amazing and touching movie. Watched it when I couldn't sleep like at 5 am, went to bed after it a happy dude.

Thin Red Line- One of my new favourite movies, just incredible in so many levels.

The midnight cowboy- Awesome movie, great performance by Dustin Hoffman.

Dances with wolves- Watched it in english class, good movie, I dislike Kevin Costner though.

Last thing I watched was Good WIll Hunting, we watched it in school.

It's a bit of a meh flick. Kevin Smith is amongst the producers and his influence is easily spotted, in fact the dirty dialogue was the only thing I enjoyed about this movie. 5/10.

Also watched Paul. I don't really know why. It's not very good but it's entertaining.

Haven't been watching a lot of films atm for whatever reason, looking forward to the new Cronenberg though, that should be incredible. I also have Eraserhead and Memento on my drive and each of those probably has a good shot at becoming my new favourite film so again, no idea why I haven't watched them.

EDIT: @ Ivan; Straight Story is really beautiful isn't it? I agree, very touching indeed, truly Lynch out of his comfort zone though.

Edited by Dirty Harry

A Dangerous Method by David Cronenberg.

It looks great.

The subject matter and dialogue is VERY interesting. Acting is also good (matter of fact, I always hated Keira Knightley, but she's really good in this one)

It's not boring.

It's actually a good solid film, a regular 3/5 but it is not FUCKIGN AMAZING and it could have been. This had the potential to blow me away like Videodrome or Eastern Promises (both Cronenberg flicks) did. I am disappointed, I expected nothing short of amazing. Maybe my expectations were too high, I dunno.

Still, if I am to put it up to everything else that is or will be out there, like the Shakespeare film (which just looks fucking ridiculous), the Nicolas Cage- Nicole Kidman (2 boring actors who mostly star in shit) which looks like suuuch a turd. Damn, the only movies worht checking out this year are probably Drive, Melancholia and Dangerous Method.

EDIT: @Ivan: what you said about There WIll Be Blood is BLASPHEMY! That flick has awesome writing, need I remind you of this haha:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=baIKQgWAgJY&feature=related

Edited by Dirty Harry

Sorry man, still really dislike that movie haha.

So haven't really had time to watch movies, had to study history hard.

I did watch a musical though, Les Parapluies de Cherbourg. I'll be honest, it's the first musical I've watched till the actual end and somehow I actually really like it, something I did not expect. The singing is great, Catherine Deneuve is brilliant and it's a surprisingly good romantic tale, a quite depressing one though.

Also watched half an hour of 2 ou 3 choses que je sais d'elle. I couldn't watch it till the end, it's super pretentious and annoying. I usually love french cinema but this I cannot stand.

The King: Probably one of the weirdest movies I've ever watched. I still don't know whether I like it or not, but it sure has stayed in my head for a quite a while, which is always a good thing. Plus, Gael Garcia Bernal is just a beast of an actor. Man, he aces every single line, every single expression. He even managed to improve on his performance from the wonderfull amores perros.

Finally watched Memento. Wow. I really really really really really really enjoyed it, definetly a more juvenile film (not in the sense of the plot, or even it's shooting acting, just the feel of the film, there are lots of gags, cursing amongst other things that don't appear in Nolan's most recent work) which is understandable seeing as how it is Nolan's second feature film.

I thought it was really great, unconventional and slightly puzzling story telling that complements the Leonard's predicament in the film. Made me think of how people see his films as puzzles and get put off by that. Nolan is not a direct or "simple" filmmaker but his films only take some will and attention for you to get them (long story short, THEY'RE NOT THAT FUCKING COMPLICATED).

I do think the twist really gets you thinking and debating the way Lenny lives his life. It's not the most explosive twist (for this isn't Lost) but it's still great.

Definetly among my "favourite films" list. A 4.5/5. Now I need to see Following and Insomnia.

• Like 1

220px-Eraserhead.jpg

Watched Eraserhead (David Lynch) Wow. Very unsure of what I think about this one. It's very slow (I don't mind slow flicks, but this thing is really slow, it still didn't put me off though), and it is probably off putting to most. This felt alot more like an art piece than a "film" (this really doesn't make sense, what I mean is that this is the type of thing one would see in an art gallery) so it really must NOT be judged as a normal film (whatever that is anyway). It is definetly interesting, and it did catch my attention but it is also probably the David Lynch film I enjoyed the least. It is also the more seemingly nonsensical of what I've seen by him, I mean, his films aren't simple and easy to follow at all but this one really outdoes itself in that department. There's hardly any dialogue, so you can mostly rely on the actual imagery and Jack Nance's face to follow the film (I quite liked this though, it is an interesting experience to be "freed" from dialogue). It has some things I really like, it's dark, it's weird, fucked up in a mostly disgusting way and it is disturbing. SPOILER ALERT the nightmare sequences are FANTASTIC (SPOILER ALERT: the singing lady is DISTURBING) END OF SPOILER ALERT). I like the general image and feel of it, even if it is incredibly awkward and psichologically disturbing. This thing looks amazing, looks fucking unique. I guess if I have one gripe with this one is that well, it's pretty avant-garde. Should I be giving all these meanings to the things I'm seeing? Or are these just weird nonsensical scenes that have no intellectual or emotional sense to them? It's hard to tell (as in a lot of Lynch movies, but this is the one where it's hard to tell to the point of being unsure if it has any). It is worth a watch. I can say for sure that it is interesting and that is one of the most unique movie experiences I had. I either am really annoyed with it or really fascinated.

1.jpg

An Austrian film, Funny Games by Michael Haneken. It is the story of two VERY creepy, violent sociopathic bullies who find their way inside a rich family's house and then proceed to torture them, physically, mentally, emotionally, you name it. It's very violent, not in a graphic way, the violent is more implied than explicit (violent things happen in the film, but none of them is given much attention on camera) and it addresses the watcher (breaks the so called 4th wall, I don't really know why, but I guess it is making a point on the public's attention or even search for violence in media). I feel that there's like 2 parts in this thing that unnecessarily long making the film seem a bit boring at times, but it is all in all an interesting even if difficult to enjoy film. The two bullies are great, we rarely get to see "villains" so unappealing and creepy. In American Psycho, which I love, Patrick Bateman is still a charming dude, not a weird creepy kid like the two lads in this. There is an american shot by shot remake of this (it was released in 2008, stars Naomi Watts I believe). I might have enjoyed that version more, merely for the fact that I'd have an easier job connecting with the language (I'm sure that a lot of the psychopaths nature was lost on me, that was merely guided by the subtitles). Three outcomes can come from watching this, you might be really fascinated, you might hate it for it may offend you somehow or you might find yourself bored. The first and last things there happened to me, I give it a light 3 out of 5.

the-fighter-movie.jpg

Watched The Fighter. Really liked this one, makes me want to re watch Raging Bull. The acting in this one is fan fucking tastic, namely the mother and the sisters and Christian Bale who is great as a no good brother. You really root for Micky and the whole family oh and it also makes the English, the scousers, to be such pricks. Head to body!

Bronson: After watching it, I suppose I understand why they could call it a modern day Clockwork Orange. It's not as good as it but let's face it, it's pretty damn hard anyway. The film has a lot of style, it's funny and disturbing at the same time and Tom Hardy really gets the part perfectly. All in all, very satisfying experience.

Also re watched Blood Diamond and Godbye Lenine, in class, both great films.

• 2 weeks later...

Watched Carnage (or should I say The God of Carnage) by Roman Polanski. Alright now, let's see this movie is: A satire. And I really dislike those, mainly because a lot of the portuguese literature I've studied is satirical and doesn't pull it off well imo, I don't mind criticizing social norms, but it has to be done well and you can't sacrifice the flow and feel of the story just to make a point about something like religion or whatever. Set in ONE scenery, a house, alright, there's a kitchen, a bathroom and a hallway, but it is mainly set in an apartment living room. If I knew those 2 things beforehand I would have PROBABLY steered clear from this one. And I'd be absolutely wrong as this is fucking GREAT! This is an episode of when 2 couples from New York try to work out a situation their kids got into (one beat up another), what is first just a polite and civil acknowledgement of the wrongful/violent action of a child turns into a bigger argument that touches on a lot of things. This film is so funny, really, the dialogue/acting is fucking awesome, i haven't laughed so hard in a recent movie as I did with this one. And the satire aspect of this didn't upset me at all, because it flows so well with what is being said, Americans are satirized, people in general, people who take arguments and things such as child's squabbles are victims of mockery. And you can really tell Polanski is an experienced film maker. 4 actors, one scenery, one SMALL scenery, and this thing is shot/edited in such away that it prevents the film from being boring. That blows my mind, even though I'm interested in how films are made, I'm not very savvy in the field, but I can only imagine that you need to plan your shots really well in order to make a movie like this work.. This was a play originally, there are no shots in plays, in plays you do it "all in one take", in the moment. Really fucking good, GO SEE IT, you'll laugh, maybe you'll identify yourself with some of the characters views (I know I did) and I'm fairly certain you won't be bored, yes, even if this is a satire that happens in a living room with 4 different characters,

And me? I tested out this DVD RW home unit I picked up for $23 bucks used;

http://reviews.cnet.com/dvd-recorders/lg-dr787t/1707-9141_7-32331275.html

Similar to that model, but the review is not a fair one since I noted problems as well, but the drive has now been cleaned, going internally twice. I was watching THE OTHER GUYS with Mark and Will... You recall? "Where did you learn to drive? GTA"

Well, it did play MOST of that movie, and one burned DVD, JVC brand, a Memorex recorder and disc (same brand blank) were standing by to test in it, and it wouldn't read the Memorex brand. I think that the brand matching is key to figuring out if a recorder actually works well, but anyway, not a huge chunk of change, I just like the HD tuner and upscaling, as well as USB port and DV port.

My Christmas present to myself, luckily I know how to take things apart and deal with hard ware issues that way.

@Blacklisted. The other guys is freaking epic. I literally nearly pissed myself so many times.

Been watching loads of film recently, everytime someone says 'have you watched (xyz film everyone has seen)' i think to myself 'why haven't I seen that. So yeah watched more films in these past 4 months than i ever though I'd have the patience for. Going in classic tonight with American History X. Before that, a few nights ago was 'old boy' - pretty weird - and i watched layer cake not long before that - epic film.

Finally watched Memento. Wow. I really really really really really really enjoyed it, definetly a more juvenile film (not in the sense of the plot, or even it's shooting acting, just the feel of the film, there are lots of gags, cursing amongst other things that don't appear in Nolan's most recent work) which is understandable seeing as how it is Nolan's second feature film.

I thought it was really great, unconventional and slightly puzzling story telling that complements the Leonard's predicament in the film. Made me think of how people see his films as puzzles and get put off by that. Nolan is not a direct or "simple" filmmaker but his films only take some will and attention for you to get them (long story short, THEY'RE NOT THAT FUCKING COMPLICATED).

I do think the twist really gets you thinking and debating the way Lenny lives his life. It's not the most explosive twist (for this isn't Lost) but it's still great.

Definetly among my "favourite films" list. A 4.5/5. Now I need to see Following and Insomnia.

Most definitely. Nolan has been in my top five favorite directors since his Batman series introduced him to me a bit better. I've been meaning to watch Following, but haven't got around to it yet.

@Blacklisted. The other guys is freaking epic. I literally nearly pissed myself so many times.

Been watching loads of film recently, everytime someone says 'have you watched (xyz film everyone has seen)' i think to myself 'why haven't I seen that. So yeah watched more films in these past 4 months than i ever though I'd have the patience for. Going in classic tonight with American History X. Before that, a few nights ago was 'old boy' - pretty weird - and i watched layer cake not long before that - epic film.

American History X is a good movie. But man I've seen it waaaay too many times.

Watched V for Vendetta a couple of nights ago, because I gave it to Chestnut for Christmas on Bluray. I chose it for ironic lolz. But still a good movie either way.

Cowboy Bebop: The Movie- Good transition from anime to film. Good stuff.

Cela 211- Amazing movie about spanish prisions.

Sunset Limited- Awesome movie. No special effects, no crazy sets just 90 min filled with great dialogue.

Chinatown- Great movie by Polanski. I prefer this type of Noir film. Nicholson is great in the movie.

Dot the I- Brilliant concept, okay movie. Garcia Bernal is still amazing.