GTA IV Delayed!

Gerard

Today, Rockstar Games published a press release detailing that the launch for Grand Theft Auto IV has been pushed back from October this year. It is now scheduled for release in the second quarter of fiscal year 2008 which begins on October 31st 2007 for Rockstar. We are looking at a delay of a few months for the game, somewhere between February and April.

From the press release:

Take-Two is reducing its fiscal 2007 guidance primarily to reflect the movement of the launch of Grand Theft Auto IV for the PLAYSTATION®3 computer entertainment system and the Xbox 360™ video game and entertainment system from the fourth quarter of fiscal 2007 to fiscal 2008, due to additional development time required to complete the title. The title is now planned for release in the Company’s second quarter of fiscal 2008.

Strauss Zelnick, Chairman of Take-Two, stated:

With Grand Theft Auto IV, Rockstar is setting a new standard for next generation video games. Certain elements of development proved to be more time-intensive than expected, especially given the commitment for a simultaneous release on two very different platforms. We all recognize that perfecting the game is vital and I can assure everyone it will be worth the wait. We owe it to the game’s millions of fans, to our dedicated development team, and to our shareholders to make sure that Grand Theft Auto IV is a groundbreaking gaming experience that takes maximum advantage of next generation technology.

Take-Two are hosting a 20-minute conference-call tonight at 5:30 pm Eastern Time to discuss these developments, accessible by dialing (877) 407-0984 or (201) 689-8577. A listen-only version will be available live online at http://ir.take2games.com, and a replay available online afterwards.

Whilst it is disappointing not to see GTA IV for a few more months, I'm glad that Rockstar are putting their efforts into making this game the best they can, and that they have the guts to delay the launch even just a couple of months away.

The full press release can be read here.

Today, Rockstar Games released a press release detailing that the launch for Grand Theft Auto IV has been pushed back from October this year. It is now scheduled for release in the fiscal year 2008 which begins on October 31st 2007 for Rockstar. We are looking at a delay of probably a few months for the game, although it still may be available before Christmas.

crap...that sucks...

they are probably going to change the cop car colors,AGAIN! -_-<_<:(:angry: Grand theft auto 3 was delayed due to 9/11,which was bullshit.we could have had nypd color schme cop cars,darkel,school buses and children,but the sand blacks just HAVE to crash into the world trade centers.Couldn't they go crash into a oilrig or something instead??? :pissed:now they are delaying it due to pissed new yorkers and that devious bastard jackass thompson.

Edited by gta dude 45

they are probably going to change the cop car colors,AGAIN! -_-<_<:(:angry: Grand theft auto 3 was delayed due to 9/11,which was bullshit.we could have had nypd color schme cop cars,darkel,school buses and children,but the sand blacks just HAVE to crash into the world trade centers.Couldn't they go crash into a oilrig or something instead??? :pissed:now they are delaying it due to pissed new yorkers and that devious bastard jackass thompson.

You're an idiot.

It's delayed because they need additional development time.

We'll have more information when R* provide it to us.

I guess this helps me in a way, it gives me more time to gather money for either an Xbox 360 or PS3 to play it on. It is a shame, but TBH I was expecting some sort of delay, although never one as long as this one... :( If they can make the game even better during those long months, then I'm glad because we can only benefit from it.

Frankly it's hard to believe. They said that they were determined to meet deadline. They must have absolutely no choice.

That's just the way things go unfortunately. Just be glad they don't rush it

idiots i have been waiting years for this game!!!!!! aye peeps what do they mean by fiscal 2008??????

Don't call Rockstar idiots. Do you reckon you could make a better game? They're just delaying it for a few weeks or a couple of months to make sure it's good enough - if you've been waiting years than a few weeks won't make any difference.

A fiscal year is just the financial year of the company, where they work out their budget. Eg "in fiscal year 2007 we can spend $50m on making games". Rockstar's fiscal year ends 31st October, so they've pushed GTA IV back to the next fiscal year so it shows up in next year's books.

A fiscal year is a 12-month period used for calculating annual statements for a business. All budgets are worked out annually, so "this year we will spend $xxx on this and $xxx on that". Every company has to make its financial statements and budgets and intentions public, which is exactly what the Investor Relations site is for. The fiscal year is just when that company decides to have these budgets and statements starting and finishing from.

Here, Rockstar have decided that GTA IV won't be launched in fiscal year 2007, it will be launched in fiscal year 2008 instead. Rockstar decided to start their fiscal year every 31st October.

EDIT:

They have said GTA IV will be released in the "second quarter of fiscal year 2008" which means February, March or April.

no, it's for both the 360 version and the PS3 version -

Take-Two is reducing its fiscal 2007 guidance primarily to reflect the movement of the launch of Grand Theft Auto IV for the PLAYSTATION®3 computer entertainment system and the Xbox 360™ video game and entertainment system from the fourth quarter of fiscal 2007 to fiscal 2008, due to additional development time required to complete the title.