New Rockstar Games Franchise Exclusive to the PS3

Ciaran

This is Michael Shorrock. I’m the Director of 3rd Party Relations at SCEA. As you may have seen this morning/last night on GameHead with Geoff Keighley, we are announcing that a new franchise from Rockstar Games will be exclusive to PS3. As part of our long standing relationship with Rockstar, and the incredible success for both companies with the cultural icon that is Grand Theft Auto, we’ve agreed to the PlayStation exclusive rights of the next great franchise from the Rockstar studios.

Everyone knows to have success in this business you need to look ahead, identifying the talent and titles that are going to give consumers new kinds of gaming experiences that help set the bar for the rest of the industry. Rockstar has a heritage for doing just that. We have had incredible success with the GTA franchise and are happy to continue to offer those titles on our platforms, and even more excited about what’s to come from the current and future relationship between our companies. Rockstar really wanted to make a game that you can truly only do on PS3, harnessing the power of CELL and Blu-ray disc and this deal lets them do just that.. This is really a win-win situation for both companies. As Jack mentioned in the interview with Geoff, this franchise is not LA Noire, but something all new. We agreed with Rockstar and Take-Two Interactive Software that we wouldn’t disclose anything more about the deal or title at this time, so stay tuned, we’ll share more info as soon as we can.

Source: Playstation.Blog

Thanks Jared for finding this out!

Well, what more can I say. 360 owners get exclusive content for GTA IV, PS3 owners get a new games franchise. Awesome!

Fantastic news for PS3 owners, but remember. The term "exclusive" does not really have a clear definition. Also, is it just going to be practice for the next GTA? Remember Manhunt and how the auto-aim thing and the stealth elements landed in SA? Or Rockstar's Table Tennis, the first game to feature the RAGE engine?

Fantastic news for PS3 owners, but remember. The term "exclusive" does not really have a clear definition. Also, is it just going to be practice for the next GTA? Remember Manhunt and how the auto-aim thing and the stealth elements landed in SA? Or Rockstar's Table Tennis, the first game to feature the RAGE engine?

Same can be said about the DL content for the 360, is it exclusive in terms of timed exclusive or console exclusive?

But I think this will actually be a PS exclusive since they said they wan't to reach the potential of the blu-ray disc.

Well if Sony has any kind of partial ownership of this franchise, which that's what it seems to be, than no, these games will not be seen on the 360.

Eh, sounds good I guess. Playstation 3 needs at least ONE THING to keep it going. But we don't know what kind of franchise it is.

I still won't buy a PS3 unless

1. Its price drops to $400

2. The franchise is better than GTA (yeah, right)

3. There are more GTA games coming to PS3 and the Xbox's DL content is coming to PS3

Eh, sounds good I guess. Playstation 3 needs at least ONE THING to keep it going. But we don't know what kind of franchise it is.

I still won't buy a PS3 unless

1. Its price drops to $400

2. The franchise is better than GTA (yeah, right)

3. There are more GTA games coming to PS3 and the Xbox's DL content is coming to PS3

Well would if this new franchise has "Spin-offs", I guess you could say, of Grand Theft Auto? Sorta like Liberty City Stories and Vice City Stories. Maybe this is the franchise that'll be part of a "San Andreas Stories" that's been floating around for a while now. You never know.