Flooding in England

Chris

Ok so I wasn't really going to make a topic about this, since until literally just now it didn't even affect me. It's become international news now though apparently, we're even making front pages of newspapers in countries like Australia!

Long story short for anyone who doesn't follow the news, or doesn't live in the UK etc.:

Last week on Thursday/Friday it rained pretty much 48 hours constantly and hard

Friday/Saturday major rivers in the West Midlands, specifically in the counties of Gloucestershire (where I live) and Worcestershire (and Oxfordshire and Berkshire are also affected)

It's the worst flooding for like 150 years or something

So bad, that now the sewage works AND the water treatment plant itself actually flooded (this has never ever happened before and isn't supposed to happen)

Since the above happened, from this morning (about 15 hours ago from typing this post) we heard on the news that they've now had to shut off our water supply in case of contamination etc. which is good because I don't wanna catch polio or TB or something...

Of course there was still some fresh water in the pipes... but once that's gone there's nothing... bear in mind this is serving 150,000 homes. And yeah, it did go quick, hours ago certain towns in the county started losing their water, and now we're starting to...

Yep, I just went to wash my hands and noticed how slow water was coming out of the taps, pressure has dropped a lot... that means there's not much water left now. By morning it'll probably be all gone - I won't be able to shower, wash dishes, wash clothes, even flush the toilet. We're not projected to get water back for a few days supposedly (obviously they've already started working on clearing the flood water from the machines etc but it takes time).

The area where my house is isn't actually flooded, but areas very nearby still are. There's not really any chance of out house flooding luckily, so in that respect we're lucky. So yeah. I just wanted to let everyone know that really - and I know there are millions of people in far worse conditions throughout the world, but this sort of stuff rarely happens in the UK, it's kinda surprising.

Oh and btw, there's a small chance that we may also lose power - I personally don't think we will, but apparently it's possible. Just letting you know if I'm not on for a couple of days, I'm not dead! :P

Here's some links to BBC News:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/glouces...ire/6909575.stm and http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/herefor...rcs/6909787.stm are a couple of early stories from Saturday

One about drinking water supplies http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/glouces...ire/6910559.stm (this is now affecting me)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6910838.stm this story confirms it

And here's some from BBC Gloucestershire where you can see some user submitted photos from people in my area. If you see any from the town of Bishop's Cleeve, that's where I live...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/gloucestershire/conte...g_feature.shtml - Flood crisis photos from Friday/Saturday/Sunday

EDIT: yeah a number of other counties are also affected, just not as bad as we are. Post if you're affected and show us your pics if you have any.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oxfordshire, SHIT, Half my family lives there.... i hope there arnt any casulties.

Apparently none yet.

I did hear they were evacuating people from the worst hit areas to the Oxford football stadium! Whereabouts in Oxford do they live? Abingdon is worst affected...

EDIT: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/oxfordshire/6910542.stm - "Homes in Oxford, Abingdon, Kidlington and Bladon have already been flooded and conditions are due to deteriorate."

BBC Oxford

They all live in Chipping Norton, Why the oxford football stadium, why not Oxford university i been there it's massive.( my grandfather works there)

Haven't heard anything about that so I assume they would be fine.

As for the football stadium... that question was asked by one of the newsreaders, the guy's response was something along the lines of that it was originally always part of an emergency/disaster evacuation plan for London... evacuees would be flown there, now they're using it for Oxford residents themselves - I guess it can hold thousands of people so it's a good a place as any.

Not sure why they wouldn't use the Uni, I guess it's because normally (if it wasn't the summer) it would be full of students, so it's not part of any evacuation plan.

Weird, I can't find anything on the BBC site about the football stadium.. maybe they didn't use it after all. It seemed quite a big talking point on BBC News though.

What was annoying was all the fear-mongering being done, especially by local radio stations and such. Everyone went out panic buying loads of bottled water from shops and stuff. Fucking selfish idiots. Luckily we already filled a bunch of containers with water while we could earlier. But we'll have to go out and buy bottled water if the tap water doesn't come back on soon.

We take it for granted. Sucks in times like this.

What was annoying was all the fear-mongering being done, especially by local radio stations and such. Everyone went out panic buying loads of bottled water from shops and stuff. Fucking selfish idiots. Luckily we already filled a bunch of containers with water while we could earlier. But we'll have to go out and buy bottled water if the tap water doesn't come back on soon.

Rough break, I hope you don't wind up w/ what we had in New Orleans.

Wish I could do something to help but all I can offer is collect what water you can & boil the hell out of it.

Maybe Gerard has something useful, but if it's that bad, he probably got called up.

Yeah it sucks.

EDIT: yeah a number of other counties are also affected, just not as bad as we are. Post if you're affected and show us your pics if you have any.

Actually, some countries have suffered just as worse. This happened at about the start of this month.

http://reliefweb.int/rw/RWB.NSF/db900SID/L...PF?OpenDocument

Tens of millions of residents across China on Wednesday were grappling with the threat or aftermath of disastrous floods that have killed at least 131 people in the past two weeks.

China's flood season is notoriously deadly. At least 360 people have died in floods and related disasters across the country this summer and more than 4 million hectares (15,440 sq miles) of crops had been destroyed.

About 10,000 People's Liberation Army troops were on standby to battle the worst flood on the Huai River -- flowing through densely populated areas in central and eastern China -- since 1954, state media said.

Authorities diverted water from the Huai, home to about 100 million people along its entire length, to flood dozens of evacuated villages in the eastern province of Anhui on Tuesday to ease pressure.

The 180 square kilometre (69 sq mile) area, home to 157,800 people, would suffer economic losses of 600 million yuan ($79 million) from destroyed crops, fish farms, roads and other infrastructure, Xinhua news agency said.

Not really related to England but it should be noted. In the next few years, we can expect MANY incidents all over the world

Edited by WackySlide

Too bad I can't help you with that... :( We experienced similar incidents in the Philippines, with a hurricane dubbed "Millenyo" (Millennium) wreaking havoc on my 'hood; the power lines were pwned, (adding to the fact that some of the street hoodlums in our town were making dough out of stealing the copper stuff from power lines) so we spent a hundred or so dollars worth of diesel fuel for the generators. I was sick back then, but we made some easy money out of charging everybody else's cellphones...

This is getting worser each time it rains, I live in Leicester and already the main road was partly covered with water, Around last Sunday it was raining as hell here and it was thundering like hell. Normally, Leicester never gets flooded and never has, but now it's all getting worse. :(

But we're prepared for the worst.

is this the first time it happened in England? because in my country, it might be worse, in Jakarta, the flood came almost always dated, in fact, in 2007, there's one make the history record(well, metamorphically speaking but i think it's true), the previous flood is 4 years ago, and then there's also two floods in the 90's

the big rain came down 3 days without stopping, and continued with almost 15 days of the small one. the Jakarta structure is very unstable, the flood cannot be drained for quiet a long time, causing cars to dead, and the worse part is, the countryside near Jakarta flooded real high, causing harm to people.

many of my friends have to swim around their houses, or maybe even evacuate, luckily, my house is in a high place, so nothing happened to me.

i know what it's like dude, trust me

damn! global warming is getting worse!

Flooding sucks, there were floodings in Romania too ( back in 2005 ), many people lost all they had ( animals/ their houses were destroyed, etc. ) and the gouvernement gave a shit on this ... Only after one or two weeks they helped the people ... Also many people died ... Luckely nothing happened to my grandparents ... The region where we live was safe from the waters but the southern and western part of the country were "damaged" ...

@Chris: England is far more sofisticated the my country, I'm sure that your gouvernement will find the proper sollutions for this ...

Edited by Gycu Brun

ArtSweet: No, flooding happens every year throughout various parts of England (that are near rivers), usually it's nothing too bad, and flood plains / fields fill with water... sometimes houses actually built on flood plains will flood (obviously).

Never has it been this bad that actual large towns and cities are getting so much water in them.

Apparently this is the worst flood since The Great Flood of 1947 (in this area of the UK, the West Midlands).

K9: Never heard of Bloxham, google maps'd it and found it's a few miles north of Chipping Norton, both places are pretty much in the middle of nowhere so to speak, I don't think there's any flooding in those areas.

Anyway a few updates I have:

In Gloucester (where my dad lives), in the town of Churchdown, they've lost electricity too.

Where I live, our water is pretty much gone, if we turn the taps right round we can get a small trickle of water out (I guess enough to wash your hands in). Weirdly we're still able to flush the toilet, but the tank fills up so slowly, probably not many more flushes left...

On the news today there's some really disturbing stuff though. In Gloucester, people are selling water on the streets for profit - this is not something you expect to see in a country like England while there's a crisis. In the areas affected, community spirit and morale is still fairly high, even for those with their homes actually flooded for the most part. Some kids are out playing still, and an old couple are pictured in rowing boat, rowing round their neighbourhood :P

The rain where I live in Manchester is going down a bit thought its coming back, south Manchester got flooded badly in early July but other than that nothing really, I heard the best place to be now is like the north east area of England, there supposed to have the best drainage system and everything and they haven't been flooded I dont think. Though near where I live (about 3 miles) away theres a whole TESCO carpark flooded.

Looks like this is serious, a guy from Hull ( Northern England ) died in the sewers because of the water ... Also in Sheffield a 13 year-old boy died because of the floodingss, the same thing with a 68 year-old man ... I'm sorry for them ...

@Chris: Me neither, I just googled it and found the site :)