GTA IV Preview in Games Aktuell

Chris

gamesaktuell_aug07.jpgGerman magazine Games Aktuell (on sale from today) has a new preview on GTA IV, which also includes 20 new screenshots. There were a few tidbits of information flying around the other day, supposedly from this magazine - there were some very sketchy details in it, specifically regarding K9 Units - it turns out these were fabricated by another GameFAQs user. This info below however, is real information from the magazine, translated into English.

• The girl in the artwork (sucking the lollipop) is called Lola
  • Taxi drivers play a very important role in Liberty City - With just a push of a button, Niko can get a ride from "A to B" straight away.
  • Additionally, the taxi driver will fulfil some of Niko's requests, for example if Niko is hungry, the cab will drive him to the nearest fast food restaurant. If hurt, then he'll drive to the hospital - places are accessible very quickly this way.
  • The only time you can't get a cab ride is when the cops are after you
  • On that note, cops appear on your map as dots (while they're searching for you)
  • The preview Games Aktuell were shown lasted 45 minutes - it was played twice
  • Similar to Saints Row, your radar will display a yellow line guiding you to your destination
  • It takes Niko roughly 3 seconds to hot-wire a vehicle.
  • The targeting system is improved and there are different hit zones
  • Niko uses his mobile phone and the Internet regularly
  • The editors reported seeing vehicles including Ferraris, Porsche Carrera (Comet), Volkswagen Jetta, BMWs, Mustangs, SUVs, delivery vans and garbage trucks.
  • Rockstar demonstrated the game to Games Aktuell on a 60" plasma screen, which didn't have Full HD capability - "this didn't matter because all Rockstar games are programmed "only" in 720p, with 1280x720 pixels" - this is an interesting quote as a lot of people have wondered whether they'll get to play the game in full 1080i/p resolution, seems like it will just be 720p for now, at least on the Xbox 360. It's not known whether the PS3 version will be able to take advantage of the higher resolution. Of course, both consoles can always upscale the game.

Thanks to GTAEngine.de for the scans (now removed) and GTA-Xtreme.de for the info.

If anyone reading this is a good German speaker please let me know. There's a detail about the game being in 720p resolution, however I can't work out whether it means the final game, or simply just the preview Games Aktuell saw.

"Zwar kein Full-HD-Gerät, aber das ist nicht schlimm, denn vorerst werden alle Rockstar-Spiele "nur" in 720p, also mit 1280x720 Pixeln programmiert."

==

There's no Full HD capability, but that is not all bad, because all Rockstar games are programmed (at the moment) "only" in 720p, with 1280x720 pixels.

If that's right, please say so in this topic.

Ok I've added in information about 720p and 1080i/p resolutions... looks like it will only be playable in 720p... not sure about the PS3 version yet though.

I wonder if Lolla is gonna play a big role in the game or if she is just another fox in the box art. As we all know it's been that way since the begining, chick on the box but no role in the game, so.

Oh and, what if you kill them and no one sees you? That would suck to atomatically get 2 stars for killin someone in a back alley some where.

Also, as for the new screens. Are they not officially released or something. I can't find them. I've seen the scans but that's not what I'm lookin for.

Edited by fatalgamer